Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

D1 hockey any active players

Hi Folks

I hope this isn't too long.

Could any advise if active player frequent this board?

I would like to assist someone in developing their strength and ability for next September and would appreciate it if anyone knows what type of weight training program active players follow during the NCAA hockey season.

Currently our schedule is set up to practice twice a week followed by two games. The weight-training program follows a power-lifting regime and not a typical body builder program is stresses Low reps using heavy weights while maintaining speed through out the movements.
What we are trying to implement is a full body workout on a five day rotation.
If we worked out on Monday we would not work out again until the Friday then the following Tuesday and so on. We work each body part on the one day. Squats, Bench, Pull down.
Accessory work such as stability ball exercises are done every other day.
IE Torso work

We recognize that weight training on game days would be out of the question so the program would adjust for the season schedule. If the workout fell on game day we would wait and work out the following day.

Do players weight train on practice days? Do they including Leg training (Squats)
What is the basic program that they follow?
Would anyone have a template that they could post so we could modify our program.

If you need further clarification on our program please advise and we will post it

Strengths-apprentice said:
Hi Folks

I hope this isn't too long.

Could any advise if active player frequent this board?

I would like to assist someone in developing their strength and ability for next September and would appreciate it if anyone knows what type of weight training program active players follow during the NCAA hockey season.

Currently our schedule is set up to practice twice a week followed by two games. The weight-training program follows a power-lifting regime and not a typical body builder program is stresses Low reps using heavy weights while maintaining speed through out the movements.
What we are trying to implement is a full body workout on a five day rotation.
If we worked out on Monday we would not work out again until the Friday then the following Tuesday and so on. We work each body part on the one day. Squats, Bench, Pull down.
Accessory work such as stability ball exercises are done every other day.
IE Torso work

We recognize that weight training on game days would be out of the question so the program would adjust for the season schedule. If the workout fell on game day we would wait and work out the following day.

Do players weight train on practice days? Do they including Leg training (Squats)
What is the basic program that they follow?
Would anyone have a template that they could post so we could modify our program.

If you need further clarification on our program please advise and we will post it

I am an DI hockey player, home for the holidays. Let me get this right, what are you asking for, our training template? We have a strength coach, we have 4 days a week in the gym. Power bench, speed bench/power leg, speed leg. Really similar to a Westside Template, but there are difference made accouting for the fact that we are not powerlifters. We train on practice days, but will not train on a game day. I still do, usually a light workout, not alot of volume, just something to get the blood flowing in the morning, after the morning skate. We do alot of ab work, lots of different stuff, full body twists, medicine ball. Template, just follow the westside, but put more sprint work in there.

Thanks for the help Callgolf.
I will review Westside and see how i can incorporate it into the training.
After you play on the weekend Friday Sunday do you do the power leg day on the Monday. and speed day on the Thursday?
My biggest concern would be over training
Our schedule is
Tuesday night Practice
Thursday night Practice
Firday Game
Sunday Game.

Thanks

Strengths-apprentice said:
Thanks for the help Callgolf.
I will review Westside and see how i can incorporate it into the training.
After you play on the weekend Friday Sunday do you do the power leg day on the Monday. and speed day on the Thursday?
My biggest concern would be over training
Our schedule is
Tuesday night Practice
Thursday night Practice
Firday Game
Sunday Game.

Thanks
Where are you that you only practice twice a week? Sign me up for that, we are on the ice everyday we don't have a game, including sundays, 6.30 AM. As far as overtraining, our coach is a big believer in supplementation and we have a dietician that designs our meals, so we are constantly eating a high protein, med carb, med fat diet. Has worked really well for me, I am alot leaner.

The kid is not in college yet. He will be attending a D1 school next September. I was hoping to prep him before he enters school. So far everything i have read about training emphasies either strenght or speed.
As it stands right now i think he could benefit from a strenght training program. The few speciality books on hockey training suggest the players should be able to squat double their weight and bench 1 1/2 times their weight. At the present he is far short of both of these standards.

would it be possible to provide your training program. I know you say it is similar to westside but if you could provide specific that would be great.

Thanks

Top Bottom