Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Making a big impact as collegiate walk-on

Reddragon44

This upcoming year I am going to do some serious training to attempt to be a walk-on for my college's football program. I played football the first 2 years of high school. I was starting Linebacker and Fullback for JV. I got discouraged because I would always be JV (the starting varsity FB/LB, who was also a soph, was 6'3 250 and fast) and quit. In retrospect I probably could have been successful. I weigh in at 190 pounds right now with low bf, but I will not stop bulking until I hit 225. I will be aided by some PH I got before the ban. I was curious if anyone here plays or coaches college ball, especially at those 2 positions, and could give me any pointers on what it would take for a walk-on to make a big impact? I am only 5'9, which is short for any position, but I see it as an advantage as I can get extremely low. Any short football players here? Basically I am just looking for some general pointers and training advice since I have been out of the game for 2 years. Thanks to anyone who feels like offering some.

Hey red, I dont know why but I felt compelled to comment. Maybe because many many years ago I was in a similar boat and walked on as a linebacker at UCLA. Im 6'2, 250 and this was way back in '95. Ironically Im still 6'2 250 but a little older and a little fatter, but Im seriously working on it now. I still to this day dream of the big tunnel and playing in the big time. Anyway, to make a long story short I had to quit due to various medical problems and then joined the Army. So that was it for me. I made the roster and it was pure heart. I serious desire to prove everybody wrong. I wanted it bad. You need that attitude.
As for the gym keep hitting the weights and get stronger. Work on core excercises.... i enjoy squats, power cleans, etc.
Hope your still checking your message for responses.

Sure am, thanks for the advice. The core exercises are practically all I do and it has paid off immensely. I definitely need to bulk to about 230 though (wow 5'9 230 is BIG) to take out the big guys such as yourself. Wish I was 6'2, hehe.

Best of luck dude, this year, there are two girls on the team I work with who were supposed to red-shirt. Due to some unforseen injuries, both freshmen are playing serious minutes. You never know what's gonna happen so you should be prepared!

back from doing some cardio.... man, I hate the cold weather out here. Im feeling a little drained from my afternoon workout! Red, you said you wish you were 6'2 huh? I used to wish I was 6'5 b/c I wanted to play DE. I wasnt big enough so I played linebacker. I dont think were ever satisfied since were always looking to get better. Im made peace that I will not grow taller but I can sure as heck get stronger and bigger. After a good nights rest I hope to have a MAD BACK WORKOUT tomorrow with some Power Cleans.
Have you ever heard of these Semi-Pro teams? I guess we have one here where Im at and Im considered trying to make a comeback into football... it sure has been awhile and I know I would play harder and smarter since Im more wise.. I dont know.

Top Bottom