Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

BJJ and weight training (or any MA actually)

reddy

Just curious to know how you guys work your training into your split...I'm on a 4x wk weight program and BJJ training 2x wk and feel as if im over training. I keep getting unbearable pain in my shoulder...

currently:
m-chest and bis
t-bjj
w-bk and tris
th-legs
fri-shoulders
sat-bjj
sun-OFF

i've been thinking about a three day weightlifting split instead:
m-chest and arms
t-bjj
w-legs
thurs-bk and shoulders
fri-OFF
sat-bjj
sun-OFF

I have been training in Muai Thai for about a month so far and i have found it difficult in the beginning to balance between the two but now i'm alright. I train Maui 3x and week and lift 5x a week. I would just make sure that your leg workout day and your classes are spread apart by a few days. Other than that just take it easy on the shoulder and as it feels better slowly progress yourself back in the gym.
good luck

Don't do back anywhere near legs because you should be doing deads on back day, and squats on leg day. They will conflict. Look into a powerlifting or Oly routine...cleans, deads...etc. Check out westside training also. Training will really conflict with lifting, so keep the lifting volume really low and the intensity really high.

And watch that shoulder dude. A shoulder injury can shut you down for a long time if you aren't careful. The first and only time I benched 405 I jacked my right shoulder and now I can't flat bench 135. The injury was a year ago. I know guys that hurt their rotators so bad they couldn't pick their nose for 6 months. Imagine trying to fight like that.

Thai, did you have any warning of a rotator injury? Like, did you have pain which you just ignored for awhile?

Because honestly, I don't want to risk screwing up my cuffs like that.

Thaibox said:
Don't do back anywhere near legs because you should be doing deads on back day, and squats on leg day. They will conflict. Look into a powerlifting or Oly routine...cleans, deads...etc. Check out westside training also. Training will really conflict with lifting, so keep the lifting volume really low and the intensity really high.

And watch that shoulder dude. A shoulder injury can shut you down for a long time if you aren't careful. The first and only time I benched 405 I jacked my right shoulder and now I can't flat bench 135. The injury was a year ago. I know guys that hurt their rotators so bad they couldn't pick their nose for 6 months. Imagine trying to fight like that.

i do deads on leg day. when i say back i mean lats and upper back, not the lower back. The lower back only comes into play minorly (stabllilizes). Why would you do dead lifts with your upper back?

Legion Kreinak2 said:
Thai, did you have any warning of a rotator injury? Like, did you have pain which you just ignored for awhile?

Because honestly, I don't want to risk screwing up my cuffs like that.
Yeah, I knew it was coming on. I was nursing it just a little for a month or so before. But, it was a great day, I felt great, and my buddies were talking shit that I couldn't put up four plates, so like a dipshit, I did it. Total dumbass move. Then I felt so good after I benched the 4 plates, I ignored the pain and continued my chest day. That night, and the next day I knew I fucked up bad

reddy said:

i do deads on leg day. when i say back i mean lats and upper back, not the lower back. The lower back only comes into play minorly (stabllilizes). Why would you do dead lifts with your upper back?
Because Deadlifts are for back bro. Deads will nail everything from your lower erectors up to your lats and traps hard.

Some people do them on leg day, but if you choose to do this, never do back anywhere near leg day.

Thaibox said:

Because Deadlifts are for back bro. Deads will nail everything from your lower erectors up to your lats and traps hard.

Some people do them on leg day, but if you choose to do this, never do back anywhere near leg day.

bro deadlifts shouldnt hit your traps "hard" and your lats at all. the primary muscles should be the glutes, hams (bicep femoris, semitendinosus, semimembranosus...) and erector spinae. Yes you the traps will be used, but not the lats. The traps and your rhomboid only maintain the shoulders and bar in position. WHen most people say "back" in a workout split they're refering to the lats.

back before legs works for the big mr o ronnie coleman. and the majority of pros toss the lower back in there with their leg days...
There is nothing wrong with doing your lats on day one and your legs and lower back on day two.

If your lats are getting hit "hard" on deadlifts, youre doing them wrong...

reddy said:

bro deadlifts shouldnt hit your traps "hard" and your lats at all. the primary muscles should be the glutes, hams (bicep femoris, semitendinosus, semimembranosus...) and erector spinae. Yes you the traps will be used, but not the lats. The traps and your rhomboid only maintain the shoulders and bar in position. WHen most people say "back" in a workout split they're refering to the lats.

back before legs works for the big mr o ronnie coleman. and the majority of pros toss the lower back in there with their leg days...
There is nothing wrong with doing your lats on day one and your legs and lower back on day two.

If your lats are getting hit "hard" on deadlifts, youre doing them wrong...
If you're talking about stiff-legged deads, I agree. However, I'm assuming we're talking conventional deads since you didn't say SL, therefore...nope.

But hey, whatever works for you. Following pros' workout routines have been the downfall of many inexperienced people. Doing so is foolish.

If someone refers to only lats when they say back, they aren't much of a lifter.

Anyway, do what you want, but I'm going to write this for anyone else that may want to build a big strong back. If you choose to do deads on leg day....DO NOT do back the day prior or after.

Top Bottom