Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

BJJ and weight training (or any MA actually)

thaibox, lets make sure we keep this on a freindly level.... just to make sure i understand you. Are you saying that Deadlifts "hit your lats hard"? I strongly disagree, and have actually never heard anyone even suggest this. Traditional or Sumo lifts...

Im saying that the lower back musles and the upper back muscles are independent of eachother and that they can be worked out on succesive days.

If that sounded unfriendly I apologize, it wasn't meant to be.

I didn't say that deads hit the "lats hard," I said they hit the lats...and they hit the traps hard. They do hit the lats however.

back_2.jpg

As in this photo of Henderson Thorne, you can clearly see the dominant features of his back are full traps and erectors like stone pillars. These are what get nailed by deads like no other lift can. Sure, for lats specifically, there are lifts better served to isolate them such as chins. But, chins and pulls should only follow deads as an ancillary lift. The mechanics of heavy deadlifts force you to incorporate all the back muscles.

I promise you bro, if you focus on deads for a day and hit them as hard as possible, your entire back will be sore as hell the next day. You will not be able to row, chin or shrug the next day. My back(including high lats) sucked until I started deadlifting heavy. My lats finally dropped down to a normal spot, my traps pokes through my shirts, and my erectors look like granite.

I truly believe that conventional deads have no place in a leg day. Deadlifts are such an intense heavily compound movement that taxes your cns so much that you CANNOT squat to an effective degree on the same day.

My point being that deadlifts and squats are the 2 most valuable lifts to any builder, period. Doing them on the same day is simply counterproductive.

Make a thread on the training board asking whether to do deads on leg day or back day. Then research it for yourself further, and hopefully you will change your theory. You will be happy when you change your lifts to accomodate this and watch your whole back grow, not to mention your legs because your squats will go up. Good luck

Last edited:
Top Bottom