Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

knuckle-push ups (ie resting on fists)....

danielson

Elite Mentor
Platinum
i had heard these can cause arthritus in the fingers or encourage it. any truth to these claims as i do these every class :confused:

b u m p o

if u codition your hands then you should b ok,.... investigate a gravel pad ...... after you work the knuckles, move onto fingers, then onto your thumbs .... it takes time, b careful ......

with regard to the arthritus ...... and movement can produce this, my sifu bob breen #1 knife comabatter in the world, and Dan insonatos 1'st student in Europe has it in both hips due to his training.

thanx!

just a few questions....whats a gravel pad? i looked on the net and turned up nothing (other than gravel driveways)

and how do you condition your hands (fingers+thumbs)? other than a variety of pushups i occasionally do i dont, and i used to do loads of bag work but stopped due to an injury. can u recommend anyting. cheers!

bascially there r 3 diffrent type of gravel pads, the first tupe of pad u will encounter, and most likely use is the leather bag..... your first step is to hit these wearing bag mits as im sure you do..... second hit it with hand wraps, then bare nuckle... now move onto the second bag, its a thin bag about 3' thick, u put it on the all, its full of sand and is made of canvas .. this will tuffen your hand even more, next is a tray full of sand, when u r tuff enuff ... i.e the skin on your hand, you should hit the sand with a good deal of power and develop furthermore .... its to stop your hands splitting when you hit someone in the face... aslo can b used for elbows, shins etc.........

If u want to strengthen, i highley recommend an eagal catcher .. it will develop yoru hands well . start with push ups on hands, then nuckles, then all 5 fingers, then 4, then 3, then 2, then 1, untill finally that last one is your thumb....... these routines will greatly improve your physical ability at trapping.

oh good god, a push up on my thumb :eek:

im in awe you can do all that stuff. thats gonna be some hard core training for me for the next few years. i already have punched a sand bag with bare hands but i havent go back into it for months now. i guess i gotta

thanx for the reply, really useful :)

No worrys danielson ,,,,, u need any help, of infro with regards to martial arts, or training, if i can help, just drop me an email or something. :) take it easy fella.

Just to chuck in a bit if the evidence, master Higoanna of Goju Ryu has visciously conditioned his hands for something like forty years and guess what? When an intensive studywas performed on his hands they found they were absolutely normal. This may seem surprising as he spends (when he was alive) most of his mornings doing said knuckle press ups, slapping flour stones (flat circular stone tools for grinding flour) and performing other rites on makiwara etc. I have performed knuckle press ups in hideous positions, as part of my hand conditioning for something in the region of thirty years and again can still play the piano and suffer no pain or lack of flexibility in the joints of my hands. I am aware that some people have made claims about some exercises causing arthritis; the problem here is that just because you get some form of pathological condition occur and you perform a particular kind of exercise, people associate the one with the other; the point is they may not be related. Also, from a statistical point of iew, no one as yet has done a study to determine whether the percentage of people who do knuckle press ups and get arthritis is any different to the amount who get arthritis in the hands across the population as a whole.
It is true that certain exercises can bugger certain joints, in my experience this is knees, hips and shoulders most often and the same is largly true of potential injury areas with bodybuilding and other sports.
It is important to remember, however, that conditioning the hand through knuckle press ups and thusly (if performed with the classical emphysis on the front two knuckles) you are thence inclined to punch incorrectly despite the dictate of your style, system or coach.
I have a feeling I am being contraversial but I am always open to having my mind changed....this ones getting a bit old.

thanx. :D

On the other hand, Bruce Haines, world record power breaker has chronic arthritis. In winter his hands are so sore he has to hold them under running hot water before he can move them.

hardgainer (kiai)

Top Bottom