Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

rugby+bodybuilding

right guys, this year(after 1.5 years out) i am thinking of playing rugby again but am wondering how it will affect my training (bodybuilding)....will i loose mass even if i just stick to the compound basics but eat loads?
I wanna try and gain weight, is this possible with rugby aswell?
All the rugby players i know are pretty huge and strong as hell, even though they are training twice a week, playing 1-2 games and lifting weights.....how should i train, compound basics?

help....american football and rugby players any veiws???

re bodybuilding and rugby. in all reality, my man, if you really want to excel in rugby, you will have to forsake certain elements and results of your bodybuilding. reasons?
i) the aerobic component of rugby means that you will have to do much more running, even if it is only short sprints, than you would do as a bodybuilder. this will compromise your energy reserves and tax your anaerobic system - in season, that means that you will probably get a little weaker in the gym.
ii) no serious rugby player i know does nine different exercises for one body part (like calves), as do bodybuilders. many of those exercises are meant for hypertrophy mainly, and in rugby if it ain't useful weight, meaning working towards your power and speed into contact, you don't want it. most bodybuilders are very large, yes, but not as strong as athletes or powerlifters in terms of power:weight ratios.
iii) whereas the exercises which DO contribute to your power and speed are mainly core exercises and full body exercises, i.e. squats, deadlifts, power cleans, snatches, hang cleans, clean pulls, and plyometrics. even for the core lifts, the reps are usually no higher than 6 or so (save for warmups) in order to increase strength and neuromuscular response. bodybuilding works in ranges mainly for hypertrophy of 8 - 12 reps. this will affect the sorts of "pumps" you get in the gym, and will eventually affect the look of the muscle, turning it from that round, almost inflated look of a bodybuilder into a much more skeletal and practical muscle of an athlete.
iv) those exercises also stress the core strength area, namely the waist, and will thicken it up considerably. where you once had a v-taper, you will now be a little more "blocky" as a result of increase abdominal and lumbar strength and mass.
v) consider also the injury probability - everyone i know who plays anything like serious rugby gets injured for a time during a season, and that will keep you out of the gym, especially if your priority is on the pitch. that too will affect the sheer size of your muscles.

all that said, though, i wouldn't worry too much about the loss of too much muscle mass. look at lomu, jason robinson, the south african front rows, etc. they are big, yes, but none of them would qualify for a serious bodybuilding competition. they could however smack the living shit out of any bodybuilder with a dumptackle and get around just about any Olympia competitor with relative ease. what muscle you see on a rugby player is there because he or she USES it, not because it comes from an exercise out of FLEX magazine.

hope this helps - i'd say go for the rugby, but then you have to make up your own mind. i also think from my own experience that women prefer the athletic look to the pumped up bodybuilder look - but then few men are actually bodybuilding just for women, as opposed to trying to look intimidating to other men.

my two cents worth.

ummmm.....well,

from my experience.....

Rugby = large quantites of alcohol after game

nuff said regarding your question WPH. If you can stick to your water you'll be fine.

oi, rugby players are far fitter than bodybuilders superbabe!

I dont think any players from pro sides are allowd to drink anymore....thats why most of the fat bastards have gone.
If you compare rugby at a high standard now to 5 years ago, the players are sooo much fitter, i think alot of that is to do with the cutting down on the booze.
You telling me you dont drink? I fucking do, but am still pretty fit all round, i just dont do it all the time, nothing wrong with that is there?

That is the thing, most of the rugby players i know drink like mad, play loads of rugby, train 2-3 times a week with their team and lift.....granted they eat like troopers, but how do they stay so damn huge(and most are lean too!!!)
does it just come down to genetics???

Fuckers!!!

Superbabe said:

nuff said regarding your question WPH. If you can stick to your water you'll be fine.

Na, i think i will stick to the protein drinks, the prayers and the vitamins bruthhhhhaarrr!!

Does anyone else remember Hulk Hogan saying that shit???

''you know something macho, dude!!!
I've been to the top of the mountain Bruthhaaarr, I've walked through the valley of the shadopw of death........An ive got the largest arms int he world......for all the lillte hulkamaniacs out there.....''

Hulk did rule!

I dont know what some of u people think us rugby players do, but im currently playing for pontypridd rfc youth side and even at our level if the coach sees us drink were out of the team and our conracts are ripped up in our face. Yes we are a fitter than bbers and to answer one of wph q's to stay lean and strong a lot use, guess what - juice, even at my level there is at least 10 player that i know have juiced. I havent yet but i will have to face reality and do it some time so i can keep my place. The wru turns a blind eye to all of this and they say the drug test but they dont. an we get a lot of aur supplement given to us they give us ready made recovery drinks(protein, carbs etc) after traing and games and they give us 3kg tubs of whey from aviform every 2months during the platying season. As has been said before our weight training just tends to consist of 3 sessions a week focusing mainly on the compound lifts. The combination of this and the cardio has gotten me in the best shape of my life big ,strong , lean and fast. Wph i will mail u with my training schedule that i have for this season when i find it if u want m8

Hulk

Top Bottom