Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

ENDURANCE sports & STRENGTH TRAINING

triguy

who here uses strength training in their programs & please put in detail>

Are you familiar with tudor bompa? He suggests weights all year'round but with reps 40-100 range?

I know it is diffrent for all. I have a BB background so im thinking of only strength training during my base phase (preseason).

triguy said:
who here uses strength training in their programs & please put in detail>

Are you familiar with tudor bompa? He suggests weights all year'round but with reps 40-100 range?

I know it is diffrent for all. I have a BB background so im thinking of only strength training during my base phase (preseason).

Here is my take on lifting for endurance athletes:

1) All endurance athletes BENEFIT from strength training i.e. lifting weights

2) Most endurance athletes don't do enough.

3) Most who do lift don't get the most out of it

According to many endurnace sport coaches lifting can be a huge benefit. Most advocate a 12-16 week program in your offseason before you spend lots of time putting in base training. So lift before you start running, riding swimming, etc... Now, most coaches are saying don't spend too much time doing high rep sets trying to build endurance. That's right- DO NOT do those 30+ rep sets that often. You'll benefit more from pure strength training rather than trying to build muscular endurance. You build muscular endurance doing your sport.

So here is a real basic program that may help:

Wk 1-2 Prep- Get back to the gym and re-acquaint yourself with the iron game. 2x/wk; 3 sets; 10-15 reps; 40% intensity level

Wk 3-8 Hypertrophy- grow muscles, build basic strength. 3x/wk; 3-4 sets; 8-15 reps; 60-70% intensity

Wk 9-12 Max Strength- Develop max strength. 3x/wk; 3-5 sets; 4-6 reps; 80-90% intensity

Wk 13-16 Endurance- Develop muscular endurance. 3x/wk; 2-4 sets; 20-30 reps; 30-40% intensity

Wk 17+ Maintainence- spend a little time in the gym to maintain strength gains. Workout dependent on training level of primary sport. However any workout will prompt CNS/muscular sytem to retain much of the conditioning gained from wks 1-16.

Endurance athletes should make a point to incorporate strength-type workouts early in base conditioning phase; runners can use a chute or do steep hill/high knee running; cyclists can do big gear work and/or long hill climbs (w/large gear); swimmers can do tethered workouts. This will help your gym work transfer over to your sport. The key is to get to the gym and focus on getting stronger. Endurance (at least the type a runner, swimmer, cyclist needs) is built in your sport not in the gym. Use the gym to get strong. Don't worry about gaining too much weight. The extra muscle will benefit you. Plus research has shown that you can improve strength and in the process gain some muscle mass, but you can lean out and loose most of the muscleyou gained but still retain most of the strength you gained (this applies to endurance athletes).

FHG

Winter 02' lifting program:

2 days/wk

Exercises:
Leg Press
Barbell lunges
Hip machine
Leg Extension
Leg Curl
Standing calf raises
Seated calf raises

2 weeks Transition:
3 sets 15-20 reps

4 weeks Hypertrophy
4-6 sets 8-12 reps

4 wees Maximum Strength
5-7 sets 4-7 reps

8 weeks Muscular endurance
3-4 sets 25-50 reps

I'm in the second week of MS right now. Plan on having the strength fully translated to the bike by early Jan...

Oh yeah. Recall I'm the cat who did the Sus/Deca/Winny cycle and gained 22 lbs. in 6 weeks! Strength gain is incredible. Doing 720lbs for reps on the leg press! That'll break off the chainring!

Anyway, from here until mid December will be on Winny inj only and T3 to burn fat. I don't care if the T3 does take some muscle with it. Got too much mass from the damn Sus/Deca!!!!!!!!

One last observation: I've done NO UPPER BODY LIFTING at all. Yet, the upper body looks huge. Veins coming out of the delts; nec loos lie WWF. Must've really catabolized all upper body tissue during the 02' race season. Cells filled up with water or muscle filled back in ? Sucks big time. I'm looking for 9" arms and 25" thighs. Not 17" arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
nice to have ya on board!

some ques:

what about core (abs-erectors) strengthening exercises?

why a hypertrophy phase?

what about a peak or competitve phase & a beg of the season prep phase?

....you work with a coach or by yourself?

also do some research on t3, may decrease endurance.

peace

some ques:

Q what about core (abs-erectors) strengthening exercises?

A I do abs year round; usually 500-1000 week.

Q why a hypertrophy phase?

A Most of the programs I've seen have one. They just call the phase something different. 8-15 reps is still 8-15 reps no matter what these "coaches" want to call it.

Q what about a peak or competitve phase & a beg of the season prep phase?

A Well, last year I went into January with DEAD legs. I was still on the weights 2/wk. This year, I want to have the lifting program done by Jan. 1. Several Stage races hit mid-February thru late March in So. Cal. I don't want "hang over weightroom legs" this season.

As for competitive phase, I'll do maintenance 1 day/week throughout the season.

Q....you work with a coach or by yourself?

A I've got a coach. I don't tell the coach "everything" hehehehehe.

I'll check into that. T3 will be done by early December. Shouldn't really get in the way.

Bikeracer said:
Q what about a peak or competitve phase & a beg of the season prep phase?

A Well, last year I went into January with DEAD legs. I was still on the weights 2/wk. This year, I want to have the lifting program done by Jan. 1. Several Stage races hit mid-February thru late March in So. Cal. I don't want "hang over weightroom legs" this season.

As for competitive phase, I'll do maintenance 1 day/week throughout the season.

I always try to finish leg work by mid Dec and rarely lift in season

Q....you work with a coach or by yourself?

A I've got a coach. I don't tell the coach "everything" hehehehehe.

coach=bikeracer you look big-what have you been doing?

bikeracer=Pork chops and milk! Gotta get
WWF big for the crits [bikeracer is now flexing]

I'll check into that. T3 will be done by early December. Shouldn't really get in the way.

Supposedly T3 isn't great for endurance. I think you could take a low dose like 25mcg and train and not have any problems. I think a 25mcg dose combined with training would yield great results. Your metabolism is so high after riding that you should only need a small T3 dose. Maybe I'll experiment on myself.

FHG

any of you fella's ever used clen. ? im a pretty fat bastard this time of year and im thinkin of givin it a try. should be good to use while on really low kcals too as it spares muscle. what are your thoughts?

Starting next week. Will let you know. I understand that it works better with carbs in the system as opposed to ketosis.

Read the article, cut & pasted below. Good luck!

Extreme Athlete (http://www.extreme-athlete.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl) Anabolic Health & Fitness >> Extreme Anabolics - Supplements & Steroids >> Clen FAQ (Message started by: Steve on Dec 26th, 2001, 2:08pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Clen FAQ
Post by Steve on Dec 26th, 2001, 2:08pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sup bros, i found this article very informative

I wrote this because of all the confusion that surrounds this drug. Enjoy.

What is Clenbuterol?

Clenbuterol is a beta-2 agonist and is used in many countries as a broncodilator for the treatment of asthma. Because of it's long half life, clenbuterol is not FDA approved for medical use. It is a central nervous system stimulant and acts like adrenaline. It shares many of the same side effects as other CNS stimulants like ephedrine. Contrary to popular belief, Clenbuterol has a half life of 35 hours and not 48 hours.

Dosing and Cycling

Clenbuterol comes in 20mcg tablets, although it is also available in syrup, pump and injectable form. Doses are very dependent on how well the user responds to the side effects, but somewhere in the range of 5-8 tablets per day for men and 1-4 tablets a day for women is most common. Clenbuterol loses its thermogenic effects after 6-8 weeks when body temperature drops back to normal. It's anabolic/anti-catabolic properties fade away at around the 18 day mark. Taking the long half life into consideration, the most effective way of cycling clen is 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off for no more than 12 weeks. Ephedrine can be used in the off weeks.

Clenbuterol vs Ephedrine vs DNP

Ephedrine will raise metabolic levels by about 2-3 percent and 200mg of DNP raises metabolic levels by about 30 percent. Clenbuterol raises metabolic levels about 10 percent and it can raise body temperature several degrees.

DNP is by far the most effective fat burner but many people will never use it because of the risks associated with it. It also offers no anti-catabolic benefit. Although it does have anti-catabolic effect, ephedrine short half life prevents it from being all that effective.

As far as side effects, Clenbuterol's are certainly milder than DNP's, and some would even say milder than an ECA stack. There is no ECA-style crash on Clenbuterol and many users find it easier on the prostate and sex drive. This may in part be due to the fact that Clen is generally used for only 2 weeks at a time.

Side effects

NAUSEA
NERVOUSNESS
DIZZINESS
DROWSINESS
DRY MOUTH
FACIAL FLUSHING
HEADACHE
HEARTBURN
INCREASED BLOOD PRESSURE
INCREASED SWEATING
INSOMNIA
LIGHTHEADEDNESS
MUSCLE CRAMPS
TREMORS
VOMITING
CHEST PAIN

The most significant side effects are muscle cramps, nervousness, headaches, and increased blood pressure.

Muscle cramps can be avoided by drinking 1.5-2 gallons of water and consuming bananas and oranges or supplementing with GNC potassium tablets at 200-400mg a day taken before bed on an empty stomach.

Headaches can easily be avoided with Tylenol Extra Strength taken at the first signs of a headache. You may need to take double the recommended dose.

Common Uses

Post-Cycle Therapy: Clen is used post cycle to aid in recovery. It allows the user to continue eating large amounts of food, without worrying about adding body fat. It also helps the user maintain more of his strength as well as his intensity in the gym. Diet: Roughly the same as on cycle.

Fat loss: The most popular use for Clen, it also increases muscle hardness, vascularity, strength and size on a caloric deficit. For the most significant fat loss, Clen can be stacked with T3. Diet: A high protein(1.5g per lb of bodyweight), moderate carb(0.5g to 1g per lb of bodyweight), low fat diet(0.25g per lb of bodyweight) seems to work best with Clen.

Alternative to Steroids: Clenbuterol has mild steroid-like properties and can be used by non AS using bodybuilder to increase LBM as well as strength and muscle hardness. Diet: A moderate carb, high protein, moderate fat diet work well.

Stimulant/Performance Enhancement: It can be used as a stimulant, but an ECA stack may be a better choice because of it's much shorter half-life. Diet: To take full advantage of the stimulatory effects of Clen, Carbs must be included in the diet. Keto diet do not work well in this case.

Precautions: Is Clen for you?

The same precautions that apply to Ephedrine must be applied to Clen, although some people find ECA stacks harsher than Clen. It should not be stacked with other CNS stimulants such as Ephedrine and Yohimbine. These combinations are unnecessary and potentially dangerous. Caffeine can be used in moderation before a workout for an extra kick, although its diuretic effects may shift electrolyte balance. Drink more water if you use Caffeine.

What else do I need to know?

Most users that report bad side effects and discontinue use are those who use high doses right at the start of the cycle. The worst side effects occur within the first 3-4 days of use.

A first time user should not exceed 40mcg the first day.

Example of a first cycle:

Day1: 20mcg
Day2: 40mcg
Day3: 60mcg
Day4: 80mcg
Day5: 80mcg(Note: Increase the dose only when the side effects are tolerable)
Day6-Day12: 100mcg
Day13: 80mcg (Tapering is not necessary, but it helps some users get back to normal gradually)
Day14: 60mcg
Day15: off
Day16: off
Day 17: ECA/ NYC stack

Example of a second cycle:

Day1: 60mcg
Day2: 80mcg
Day3: 80mcg
Day4: 100mcg
Day5: 100mcg
Day6-Day12: 120mcg
Day13: 100mcg
Day14: 80mcg
Day15: off
Day16: off
Day 17: ECA/ NYC stack

Do not take Clen Past 4pm and drink plenty of water: 1.5-2 gallons a day.

All brands are not equal when it comes to Clen, different brands will yield different results.

Title: Re: Clen FAQ
Post by Big JROY on Dec 26th, 2001, 5:32pm
Great post Steve :)

Post by Steve on Dec 28th, 2001, 2:48pm
Thanks bro. Hope you found it useful

Post by Big-Guns on Jul 24th, 2002, 10:22am
Bumpin good info.

biker racer, thanks for the article on clen. how long and how much T3 are you planning on doing? FHG- i think I may try some T3 at around 25mcg as well, maybe toss in some clen as well to kind of slow up the catabolism of muscle and burn some extra kcals!. I can afford to lose some muscle as im pretty big, but it would suck to lose endurance when thats what im trying to work on this time of year. what do you think? but mmm i sure would go fast at 4% BF... haha thanks guys. rider

Top Bottom