Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What It Takes

I thouht about this today as I sat in my office..................
What it took me to become a professional, what it took my brother to be a professional, and what it took our father to be a professional. I would like to share them with you all;

Perseverance - My father came from a small hick town in upstate NY and played for a D2 school through college. The bigtime schools shyed away from him in high school bc he didn't "play against top competition". Apparantly being 6-5 240 and throwing a 97 mph fastball just wasn't good enough. All-Star in 1979 with the Toronto Blue Jays. Oh were they wrong

Dedication - I broke my back in 1997. Everyones DR and there surgeons told me I would have to get my lumbar fused together bc of the size of the break. I denied pain medication and decided to take it all in. I needed to remember the pain and allow it to fuel me for my goal of becoming a professional basketball player. I lived through the most horrible pain I could have ever imagined. I rehabbed and came back twice as strong. Funny how the same people calling me a non-scholarship athlete were the same ones congratulating me when I signed my first pro contract with clube Desportivo Nacional. Oh they were wrong.

Believing in Yourself - My brother was counted out like I was. The bigger schools turned him down bc he didn't meet "their" requirements for a blue chip athlete". Funny how he broke and set almost every single record in the Sacred Heart University record book as a baseball player. All this from someone that was never considered for a major college. He is now in his second year in the St. Louis Cardinal organization and finished last season with the Tennessee Smokies (AA). Oh they were wrong.

Awesome post Hammer-

Without any one of these three components one is doomed to fail. The journeys I have fallen short on are precisely because of lacking the persistance/perseverance I needed at the time I needed it. (see my history on the training board). It should be noted that perseverance in the face of advirsity on the field is not the only type....

Persistance
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistance.
Talent will not;
nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not;
unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not;
the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistance and determination alone are omniptent.
The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the
problems of the human race."

Calvin Coolidge

The belief in yourself that you can do it, and the courage to follow through it. Everyone is scared of something that is hard or challenging... the people that have the courage to face this fear in light of unbelieveable odds ... those people have what it takes.

C-ditty

Becoming said:
Awesome post Hammer-

Without any one of these three components one is doomed to fail. The journeys I have fallen short on are precisely because of lacking the persistance/perseverance I needed at the time I needed it. (see my history on the training board). It should be noted that perseverance in the face of advirsity on the field is not the only type....

Noble words Becoming.

Please list other "types". Lets make this into the thread of champions.

Citruscide said:
The belief in yourself that you can do it, and the courage to follow through it. Everyone is scared of something that is hard or challenging... the people that have the courage to face this fear in light of unbelieveable odds ... those people have what it takes.

YES! Thank you C-Ditty

PolishHammer1977 said:
Please list other "types". Lets make this into the thread of champions.

I would say that one has to learn to persevere in all aspects of life to be successful... whether that be specifically on the field... in the classroom (if you are a student)... in your relationships (family/friends)... in your training/diet....

If you let other aspects of your life slide, they will become a distraction and possibly hold you back or derail you from your goals...

Becoming said:

I would say that one has to learn to persevere in all aspects of life to be successful... whether that be specifically on the field... in the classroom (if you are a student)... in your relationships (family/friends)... in your training/diet....

If you let other aspects of your life slide, they will become a distraction and possibly hold you back or derail you from your goals...

Excellent post.

Absolute truth.

Top Bottom