Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

rugby+bodybuilding

Dont bother lifting on any days you do rugby.
Dont train the day before a game.

Basically, you will get a strong, fast and powerful body from fitness training with your team if you do press ups, free squats, sit ups, carrying people in races, tackle bag drills, resistance drills with pads, scrums ect in training you are taxing strength so just eat loads of protein and complex carbs.......

you wont get fat traing 5 days per week!!!!!!!
dont care who you are.

Your coach sounds like a hard ass!

Good luck in your games pal....:)

Hey, interesting thread - here's my input.

I've played rubgy from an early age and played both codes. I have played prop, second row, and no. 8 in my life and decided that when I got to Uni, I wouldn't join a squad in my first year so I could enjoy my freshman year and also try and get myself big and strong in the gym for the year after (everyone else looked so much older/bigger/stronger!).

I'd never been to a gym regularly/seriousely before and made some rapid gains. Feeling more confident and stronger I went and signed up for rugby league in my second year and all I can say is Bam! Wow! Playing Prop (@ 6''2', 18st) I really enjoyed the physical nature of the game - and the way the half backs ran straight at me with the ball :)

However, training twice a week with the team, coupled with the fact you can't train hard the day before a game and are f*cked the day after, and Uni life in general meant that my time spent in the gym died off and my lifts plummetted :(

This year I've had to start from scratch again and again my lifts are increasing all the time but this year I'm thinking of taking up powerlifting because I don't think my genetics would ever let me get lean enough to BB.

Just my £0.02 worth. Good luck!

TauRine.

cool.......sounds good my friend. Powerlifting is definately the way to go for rugby and sport in general. Bodybuilding makes you look fit, but really bodybuilders are very unfit!!!!

dont do too much weights, plyometrics are a great way to increase explosive power.

I used to train as a powerlifter doing a bb split, but now i juts power lift 2 days per week, plyo/sprint, train with club and enjoy my nightlife like i expect you do as a fellow student!!!

good luck

:beer:

WPH: What are your routines? If I do take up Rugby League again next year I'm thinking I'm definitely going to want to squeeze deadlifts, squats, and bench in there somewhere!

TauRine.

i am 21 years old and at the moment pushing my way into the sport. i have read all that you all have posted and i just think its great. i can't wait to start. i am converting from bodybuilding to strength and speed training, so this is a big change for me considering the fact that this would have completed my 5th year in bodybuilding. i don't know if the games is nice to short stalky folk but i feel that everyone needs to stay the fuck out of my way!!!!!

I change my routine quite a bit, i have'nt lifted weights for a month now :( because my shoulder took a huge hit and is totally fucked at the mo......got a game next wednesday and then the following saturday, so need to recuperate!

Here is what i do weights wise in the 'on season'

Day 1:

Power cleans 3 sets of 5
bench press 3 sets of 5
squats 3 sets of 8-10*
upright rows 3 sets of 8-10*
leg press 3 sets of 5
push press 3 sets of 5
d/b curls 3 sets of 8-10*

Day 2:

Power cleans 3 sets of 5
incline press 3 sets of 5
squats 3 sets of 8-10*
bent over rows 3 sets of 8-10*
leg press 3 sets of 5
push press 3 sets of 5
d/b curls 3 sets of 8-10*

*i find that 5 reps does'nt work aswell on these lifts

Dont use too much weight if you have'nt done push press or cleans before, learn the correct technique and work up slowly.

Running: (track running)

-warm up with 1600 metre slow jog (twice around track)

-sprint 50 metres 3 times
-sprint 40 metres 3 times
-sprint 30 metres 3 times

then do something like this:

-Jog 50 metres, sprint(90% effort) 20 metres, jog 50 metres, sprint (90%) 20 metres

After you have done the straight sprinting which are great for all around speed and power, the interval running helps you in a 'game situation' because you are speeding up and slowing down as you would do in a game.

Remember to warm up fully before lifting weights or sprinting, stretch your whole body to help flexibility and avoid potential injury.

Hope that helped

thanks buddy! i am a little bit nervous at the moment but i am sure that will pass. thanks for the sprinting routines, is this what most do??

what are your stats?
are there many short people in the game

Depends on your quickness/ speed/ size level.

If you are short, smaller and quick as shit- scrum half
If you are short and fast as hell- winger

If you are short and thick and strong, I would say hooker.

Top Bottom