Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Better for boxing?

New Jack

What's better for an amateur heavyweight boxer to do for strength training: Bodyweight exersizes (pushups, pullups, chinups, dips, crunches, neck bridges) or Free weight exercises (bench, squat, deadlift, etc.?

I believe a combination of both.As long as you do lots of STRETCHING to maintain your flexibility you will be sweet

I do Muay Thai kickboxing. We incorporate western style boxing into our techniques that leads to a devastating combination in the ring and out.
I do heavy lifting for strength. I don't notice it get in the way of my speed or flexability. You stay limber when you spar and practice your boxing but you also pick up strength when you hit the weights. The key is to always stretch after you exercise.

resistance training is used in almost every sport. In boxing it is best to use light weight high reps. Heavy Weight training will slow hand speed down. Wrestling is different story. Hell you can powerlift and still excell in wrestling. JMO

i'd say if you maintained flexibility then weights shouln't be a problem, although i'd prolly go with lighter weights and build up my muscle endurance now that i think about it.

Rich

Here is the strength program my old boxing coach had us do:

Pick out any exercise (usually on a machine) and perform as many reps as you can in one minute. Rest 30 seconds and do it again. Do 3 sets.

The theory behind this is that in boxing, pure brute strength is not too important. What IS important is that you are able to maintain your strength throughout the entire round. The one minute set will train your muscles to be able to function even under heavy lactic acid buildup. You won't be able to lift a lot of weight with this workout but thats what periodization is for.

Top Bottom