Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Amature Boxing?

dugie65

Well i've got a tournament(my first) coming up in march that i'm beginning to train for.. My question is I am 5'8 185 11%BF(maybe a bit less). Should I: Cut weight to compete in the 165 class or try to put on solid weight and compete in the 181 class?

Any experienced guys out there your opinion is appreciated.

I'll admit I'm not experienced in this but anyway:

You are already very tight and low in BF, so you should not try to go down below the 165lb class unless you find that the rigorus boxing training causes the weight to fall off and you cant stop it. Much better to just eat well and stay where you are.

how is your speed, and defense...?

to drop all the way down to 165 is going to take ALOT out of you strength wise... unless you are lightning fast and have great defense, I would not try and drop that weight...

that being said, the guys at 181 are going to be hitting alot harder than 165, but they will most likely not be as quick, unless you run into a phenom, or a natural... ;)

i would suggest you stick with the 181 and get your cardio in order ASAP... and take it from there...

You're pretty low on BF. You may just want to get down to 181. What is that junior heavyweight? Can't remember. I fought at that weight on my first fight about 10 years ago but was like 15% bf. Next fight I went down to the 178lb class and dominated. Since you're only 5'8 you may want to go down to 178. Can't remember the weight classes but is the next one down from 181lb? The 165 lb class? That doesn't sound right to me.

dugie65 said:
Well i've got a tournament(my first) coming up in march that i'm beginning to train for.. My question is I am 5'8 185 11%BF(maybe a bit less). Should I: Cut weight to compete in the 165 class or try to put on solid weight and compete in the 181 class?

here were the divisions we went by here in houston texas for amateur boxing.
i fought light heavy weight

light flyweight, not more than 106 pounds (48 kg)
flyweight, 112 pounds (51 kg)
bantamweight, 119 pounds (54 kg)
featherweight, 125 pounds (57 kg)
lightweight, 132 pounds (60 kg)
light welterweight, 141 pounds (64 kg)
welterweight, 152 pounds (69 kg)
middleweight, 165 pounds (75 kg)
light heavyweight, 178 pounds (81 kg)
heavyweight, 201 pounds (91 kg)
super heavyweight (any weight over 201 pounds)

Last edited:
dugie65 said:
damn thats a big super heavyweight class!

well... good to know, what would be your opinion?
i would say drop to 178 and fight light heavyweight.
it would take too much out of you to drop down further than that.

as a former amateur boxer i would say try the light heavyweight class which is close to your present weight. attempting to drop lower would possibly weight weaken you and there would be some muscle loss also involved.it looks as though you have spent some time building yourself up to good effect so it would make no sense to start tearing it down, if this is not absolutely necessary.stay at your strongest weight and then develop your skills.factoring in your height and weight, focus on slipping inside there reach and working on the inside. don't neglect the straight left as with the right timing you can still out jab a guy of 6ft4.when you have achieved your aims in boxing walk away.keep your chin down and good luck.

Top Bottom