Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Major League Baseball and steriods...

• Thread starter Thread starter The Shadow
  • Start date Start date
WODIN said:
Face facts....PITCHING SUCKS ANYMORE in the majors. LOL!!! That is your primary contributor to all the home run bunnies.

Lower mound, losing the ability to pitch inside, umpires not calling the inside pitch or the actual strike zone (knees to armpits), smaller ball parks, and expansion all are in the mix. Not to mention the fact that todays hitters are students of the game and have unbelievable tools to help them know what to expect from any given pitcher. Advance scouting and TV are huge reasons.

Whereas pitchers can only make the ball do so much. I say bring back the "spitter" :D

Days of the Tantric said:

Like Piazza said last night, if steroids were creating home run hitters, every professional bodybuilder would be playing baseball.

Half of them probably can't straighten their arm out enough to even throw a ball.

J-DAM said:
What does Shawn Green's performance have to do with steroids?

I think his surge is more the result of some slumpbustin fat chick than gear.

YAAAAAA I laughed my ass off when Grace told the world about the slumpbuster baseball secret.

Cornholio said:
Hmmmmmm...don't know if I buy into the diluted pitching angle either. By the same logic - the hitting is diluted as well because you have guys in a daily position playing because of expansion. Same deal with the pitchers.

Pull the stats of the ERA of the top 5 game winners in each league from 1992, 1997, and 2002 and look at the era mushroom. Their era should be dropping due to:

1 - the best pitchers in the league should be able to handle the best hitter IF gear use is not an issue

2 - The best pitchers era should actually drop due to the diluted hitting aspect above.

Thoughts?

The best pitchers in the league face a full line-up (starters) only once every 5 days. The best closers might face 6 guys (usually the best pinch hitters the other team has) every other day or every third day. Good pitching is said to beat good hitting but it only takes a little mistake for the best pitcher to get beat. # 1 & 2 starting pitchers get 30-35 starts per year, out of those 1/3 they will be on top of their game, 1/3 they will have their average stuff, the other 1/3 they will suck and have to battle.

Top 5 ERA's by Games Won in '92:

K Brown 21 & 11 3.32
J Morris 21 & 6 4.04
T Glavine 20 & 8 2.76
G Maddux 20 & 11 2.18
J McDowell 20 & 10 3.18

'97
R Clemens 21 & 7 2.05
R Johnson 20 & 4 2.28
D Neagle 20 & 5 2.97
B Radke 20 & 10 3.87
S Estes 19 & 5 3.18

'02
C Schilling 10 & 1 2.93
M Buehrle 8 & 3 2.77
P Byrd 8 & 2 2.88
T Glavine 8 & 2 1.59
K Ishii 8 & 1 2.90

'92 Average ERA for the top game winners = 3.10
'97 Average ERA for the top game winners = 2.87
'02 Average ERA for the top game winners = 2.61

It did just the opposite of what you thought. That mushroom is old.

rudedawg said:

The best pitchers in the league face a full line-up (starters) only once every 5 days. The best closers might face 6 guys (usually the best pinch hitters the other team has) every other day or every third day. Good pitching is said to beat good hitting but it only takes a little mistake for the best pitcher to get beat. # 1 & 2 starting pitchers get 30-35 starts per year, out of those 1/3 they will be on top of their game, 1/3 they will have their average stuff, the other 1/3 they will suck and have to battle.

Top 5 ERA's by Games Won in '92:

K Brown 21 & 11 3.32
J Morris 21 & 6 4.04
T Glavine 20 & 8 2.76
G Maddux 20 & 11 2.18
J McDowell 20 & 10 3.18

'97
R Clemens 21 & 7 2.05
R Johnson 20 & 4 2.28
D Neagle 20 & 5 2.97
B Radke 20 & 10 3.87
S Estes 19 & 5 3.18

'02
C Schilling 10 & 1 2.93
M Buehrle 8 & 3 2.77
P Byrd 8 & 2 2.88
T Glavine 8 & 2 1.59
K Ishii 8 & 1 2.90

Actually - I said that the ERA SHOULD go down if diluted hitting was a real thing.

I should have said era versus hr allowed to see if the dinger total was up even though era is down

Cure said:
Uhhhh...didn't MLB actually juice the ball for more run production specifically targeting more homeruns? Secondly, aren't MLB teams building ballparks to cater to their superstars or stars? When the fence is 320ft away from home plate i could crush one over the fence.

Also what the hell is roids gonna do for you? Enable you to crank a homer 500ft when the fence is only 380ft away from home plate? I bet you a guy who weighs 190 and is agile and flexable can throw a ball alot harder and more accurate then a guy who weighs 250lbs and is musclebound.

In conclusion, in a sport like baseball, STEROIDS do not make that big a difference. Hockey and football are a different story.

I agree................well except that part about you being able to crush one over the fence.:D :D

But if a guy "misses" one and the fact that he did roids effects the distance the ball travels by 15 ft........all of a sudden a ball that would have went 320' now goes out of LF where the fence is 330'.

Cornholio said:

Actually - I said that the ERA SHOULD go down if diluted hitting was a real thing.

I should have said era versus hr allowed to see if the dinger total was up even though era is down

Corn your statement was this "Pull the stats of the ERA of the top 5 game winners in each league from 1992, 1997, and 2002 and look at the era mushroom.

We all know the dinger total is up. Hell my 9 yr old knows that.

rudedawg said:

'02
C Schilling 10 & 1 2.93
M Buehrle 8 & 3 2.77
P Byrd 8 & 2 2.88
T Glavine 8 & 2 1.59
K Ishii 8 & 1 2.90

really shoulda' used last year's stats since this season is only 50 games in.

last year:

M Morris 22-8 3.16
C Schilling 22-6 2.98
R Johnson 21-6 2.49
M Mulder 21-8 3.45
R Clemens 20-3 3.51

'01 Average ERA for the top game winners = 3.12

still, no significant difference.

Top Bottom