Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Iron Mike in the news again.

biteme

MVP
EF VIP
· Niners' Racy Training Video Wasn't the First of Its Kind
· NHL, Union Reportedly Have Agreement on Salary Cap
· Former Baylor Player Pleads Guilty in Teammate's Death
· 'Prime Time' Will Return to Ravens, Signs One-Year Deal
· Armstrong Still Third in Tour de France Warmup
· Afleet Alex Tabbed as Belmont Stakes Favorite

Search for
Sports News:

Iron Mike says he's changing. After serving prison time, biting an opponent's ear and filing for bankruptcy, he says, "I don't want to be that guy anymore." This weekend, he'll be back in the ring. Can the former champion resurrect himself? Post

Jump Below for More:
· Round 1: Old vs. New Mike
· Round 2: Tyson's Troubles
· Round 3: Tyson Trivia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More on Mike:
· Video Q&A, Photos
Hear Tyson Interview

Tyson Enters the Fight of His Life

By CLIFTON BROWN

WASHINGTON (June 7) - After a brief but vigorous workout Tuesday, Mike Tyson sat on a stool and uttered a favorite expression that has been used to describe his career and his life.

"Old too soon, smart too late," he said.

Tyson desperately hopes that it is not too late.

Facing his 39th birthday on June 30, after serving a prison sentence for rape and after pitfalls that have included declaring bankruptcy, biting off a portion of Evander Holyfield's ear, and marrying and divorcing twice, Tyson is trying to resurrect his career - again.

Round 1: 'Old' Tyson vs. 'New' Tyson

The 'Old'
Tyson in 2002 (Getty Images)
"I was trying to drive the bone in his nose up into his brain."

"I wish that you guys had children so I could... stomp on their testicles so you could feel my pain."

"I want to rip out his heart and feed it to him. I want to eat his children."

"I will take Lennox's [Lewis] title, his soul and smear his pompous brains all over the ring when I hit him." The 'New'
Tyson on Wednesday (AP)
"My whole life has been a waste -- I've been a failure."

"It's not about being the best fighter in the world... it's about being a better person."

"Living recklessly was exciting, but coming down is hard."

"I've realized... there's nothing wrong with backing down."

Not So Fast... Tyson did say Wednesday of his opponent, "I'll gut him like a fish."

Sources: espn.com, nynewsday.com, nytimes.com, Reuters, usatoday.com, washingtonpost.com

Needing a victory to restore his credibility as a heavyweight contender, he will face the unheralded Kevin McBride (32-4-1) on Saturday night at the MCI Center.

Though he no longer dominates in the ring and despite his many transgressions, Tyson maintains a magnetism that leaves sociologists struggling for explanations. Promoters said that more than 13,000 tickets had been sold for Saturday's bout, and it could be a sellout by the time Tyson enters the ring. Many thousands more will spend $44.95 to watch it on pay-per-view.

Love him or loathe him, it remains difficult to ignore him. But Tyson insists he has changed, that he has begun a long journey toward becoming a better person, and not just a better boxer.

Round 2: Tyson's Troubles

Sources: cnn.com, espn.com, usatoday.com

"I don't want to be that guy anymore," Tyson said, talking calmly about his past while sitting in the locker room of Burr Gymnasium on the campus of Howard University. "I liked to humiliate people, because I had been humiliated. I wanted other people to feel the pain I felt as a child.

"There's another fight after this fight, the fight of life. I'm almost perfect in the fighting business, 50-5. But in the fight of life, I'm a pug. I'm a palooka."

Tyson was the palooka in his last fight, knocked out by Danny Williams in the fourth round last July 30.

"I was embarrassed to lose to a gentleman of his stature," Tyson said.

That fight exposed Tyson's lack of stamina and his defensive shortcomings, but with a new trainer, Jeff Fenech, Tyson said that Saturday would be different.

"I'm equipped to beat Kevin McBride," Tyson said.

After 10 weeks of training in Scottsdale, Ariz., where he lives, Tyson appears to be in decent shape. He moved well in the ring Tuesday, his heavily tattooed body had definition, his hand speed was evident as he threw crisp punches; a puddle of perspiration formed under his stool after he sat down. Those around Tyson hope that when he steps into the ring, he will look more like the Tyson of old, rather than an old Tyson.

"He likes Jeff, so he has trained," Shelly Finkel, Tyson's promoter, said. "At the beginning, he was throwing up and he was horrible. But as the weeks went on, we saw it coming together. Hopefully Saturday, we'll see it. Hopefully he'll get some fights under his belt, he looks good, he takes care of his debts and he ends up with something out of this sport. It's not the greatest heavyweight division right now. While we're in a division that has more than one champion, he can pick someone and maybe be champion again."

That is Tyson's plan, to beat McBride, to win another tuneup fight or two and to fight for a championship belt within two years. But how badly does Tyson want it? He certainly has motivation. After squandering almost $300 million and declaring bankruptcy in 2003, Tyson will be paid $5 million for this bout, and the more he wins, the more opportunity he will have to erase his debt.

Round 3: Tyson Trivia

Corbis
How closely have you followed Iron Mike's career? Take the quiz on the right and find out.

In his prime, Tyson was among the most intimidating fighters ever, winning his first 37 fights, many of them by devastating knockouts. He won the World Boxing Council title from Trevor Berbick in 1986, knocking Berbick senseless in the second round; Berbick stumbled around the ring as if he were walking on a merry-go-round.

Perhaps the crowning moment of Tyson's career came in 1988, when he stretched out Michael Spinks on the canvas in 91 seconds, a performance in which Tyson lived up to his nickname, the Baddest Man on the Planet.

But Tyson was bad outside the ring as well, living in excess and behaving in bizarre fashion. It finally caught up with him in 1990, when he was knocked out by Buster Douglas in Japan in one of boxing's biggest upsets.

Less than two years later, Tyson was convicted of raping Desiree Washington in an Indianapolis hotel room, and he spent almost three years in prison.

More From The Times

· Arms Fiascoes Lead to Alarm Inside Pentagon
· Army Falls Short on Lowered May Recruits Goal
· Walls of Mud Shut a Gateway to Yellowstone

Tyson took great pains Tuesday to emphasize that he had changed and that he did not want to be remembered for his many mistakes. Tyson has always been a contradiction, from his fits of rage to the Arthur Ashe tattoo on his left arm. But those around him sense a calm they never saw when he had a fat wallet and a fat entourage to go with it. Tyson even chastised a questioner Tuesday for using profanity and said that one of his main goals was to set a better example for his six children.

"I've gone through hard times under the microscope," Tyson said. "It's not about being the best fighter in the world or the worst fighter, it's about being a better person. I always took care of my children financially, but I never gave anybody my time."

Tyson hardly has time on his side when it comes to boxing. But in a sport that looks kindly on those who pick themselves up from the canvas, he seemed eager to take advantage of another chance.

"I've had 30,000 chances," Tyson said. "I don't want the chaos anymore."

06-08-05 11:20 EDT

Copyright © 2005 The New York Times Company.

I'm pulling for him. Not in the fight but for the fight for his life.

Mike is hands down my favorite boxer, I grew up watching him, playing his video game, etc. Its sad that things have turned out they way they did. The prison time really was was ended it for him.

Lestat said:
Mike is hands down my favorite boxer, I grew up watching him, playing his video game, etc. Its sad that things have turned out they way they did. The prison time really was was ended it for him.
i agree what he accomplished was incredbible

i love that guy.

"I want to rip out his heart and feed it to him. I want to eat his children."

it doesnt get any better than that.

biteme said:
· Niners' Racy Training Video Wasn't the First of Its Kind
· NHL, Union Reportedly Have Agreement on Salary Cap
· Former Baylor Player Pleads Guilty in Teammate's Death
· 'Prime Time' Will Return to Ravens, Signs One-Year Deal
· Armstrong Still Third in Tour de France Warmup
· Afleet Alex Tabbed as Belmont Stakes Favorite

Search for
Sports News:

This is the best part... quite a computer whiz.

Reminds me of the Kayne quote in MassiveGunz sig.

Id love to see a successful comeback...the heavyweight division sucks as it is. If Tyson starts kickin ass.....he and James Toney would be a good one.

Gator

Lestat said:

tyson was a thug, always has been and always will be. sorry folks, but thats a fact. he fought in one of the greatest water-downed era's of heavy weight boxing and when he got his ass handed to him by a true champion.

ali is the greatest boxer of all time.

the end.

spongebob said:
tyson was a thug, always has been and always will be. sorry folks, but thats a fact. he fought in one of the greatest water-downed era's of heavy weight boxing and when he got his ass handed to him by a true champion.

ali is the greatest boxer of all time.

the end.

bull shit..he was a 18 yr old completely dominating the heavyweight division...the heavyweight division was nowhere near as water-downed as it now. I wont say he is the greatest of all time , but he is a freak and my favorite of all time....i can appreciate someone coming up from absolutely nothing to become a star. noone , including Ali has ever had the god-given talent and power that tyson had.

NJjuice22 said:
bull shit..he was a 18 yr old completely dominating the heavyweight division...the heavyweight division was nowhere near as water-downed as it now. I wont say he is the greatest of all time , but he is a freak and my favorite of all time....i can appreciate someone coming up from absolutely nothing to become a star. noone , including Ali has ever had the god-given talent and power that tyson had.

ofcourse he dominated it, and yes its waterdowned now as it was when he was champ.

but when he had to fight the real champs like a holifield, he lost his ass. i dont call that the greatest god given talent.

ali would have kicked his ass just like holifield because not only were they better boxers, they were alot smarter.

the guy became a star because there was nothing else out there and thats what the public wants and makes out of people like him. ali needed no one to be the greatest, a true champion to this day, unlike that thug tyson.

the end.

Top Bottom