Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can you dunk a basketball?

40butpumpin

seems like a dumb question? i don't know about that, vertical leap is a direct measure of your lower body power. i make it a point to train power, as opposed to strength only, but i've never trained specifically for vertical leap. i think i may start though just to see how much i can improve it. although i'm not able to dunk a basketball, i am able to touch the rim with both hands. at my height and reach that gives me about a 26" vertical leap (120-[6'2.5"+19.5"]). not too impressive in know, but i think i can improve on that given time and training. but then i am 43 in a few weeks and weigh 250lbs.

anyone else know their vertical leap?

40butpumpin said:
seems like a dumb question? i don't know about that, vertical leap is a direct measure of your lower body power. i make it a point to train power, as opposed to strength only, but i've never trained specifically for vertical leap. i think i may start though just to see how much i can improve it. although i'm not able to dunk a basketball, i am able to touch the rim with both hands. at my height and reach that gives me about a 26" vertical leap (120-[6'2.5"+19.5"]). not too impressive in know, but i think i can improve on that given time and training. but then i am 43 in a few weeks and weigh 250lbs.

anyone else know their vertical leap?

vertical leap is not a direct measure of lower body power. I couldnt barely touch the rim. And my cousin who is nearly pro showed me proper form on how to jump, and i was jumping bout 5-8 inches higher. the point being form has alot to do with it

I used to be able to dunk, when I played ball alot. Now with concentrating on getting bigger, I don't have time to play. Which is good, don't have to worry about playing with scrubs and getting mad, dont waste muscle building calories, and don't have sore knees.

Re: Re: Can you dunk a basketball?

eviction said:

vertical leap is not a direct measure of lower body power. I couldnt barely touch the rim. And my cousin who is nearly pro showed me proper form on how to jump, and i was jumping bout 5-8 inches higher. the point being form has alot to do with it

oh it most definitely is my man. along with a staircase test called the Margaria-Kaleman Test, it's a standard way of measuring lower body power. proper form is assumed.

by the way, what does "nearly pro" mean?

Re: Re: Re: Can you dunk a basketball?

40butpumpin said:

oh it most definitely is my man. along with a staircase test called the Margaria-Kaleman Test, it's a standard way of measuring lower body power. proper form is assumed.

it's assumed he is going pro some day. he picked baseball over basketball but could dunk when he was a freshman at 5'8

Re: Re: Re: Can you dunk a basketball?

40butpumpin said:

a standing vertical test may be an accurate measure, but being able to dunk a basketball means nothing. if you have a running start and you know how to transfer your momentum upwards, you are gonna jump higher, alot higher

40butpumpin said:
at my height and reach that gives me about a 26" vertical leap (120-[6'2.5"+19.5"]). not too impressive in know, but i think i can improve on that given time and training.

That's not true actually. The average vertical leap of a Division-I basketball player is actually only 28" or so. That's probably negatively skewed by tall post players who don't need a big vert when they're already 6'10" & up. I believe mine was 26" in high school; the highest on the team was a 6'0, 210 DB with a 36".

Last edited:
so you said the power for jumps comes from the lower body. my question , are Deadlifts going to help increase vertical leap?

Top Bottom