Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can you dunk a basketball?

When I played college ball about 5 years ago. I was about 6'0" 157 lbs. I could dunk with one hand. After working out for a couple years I was about 180 lbs and could reverse dunk a ball with two hands off one leg and plant-footed as well. I stopped playing ball, haven't played in about 2 years now. Got up to 250 lbs and couldn't even touch the rim. But now that I'm about 215 lbs and much leaner, I'd like to give it a shot again..........oh! and I'm White :)

Gooseman said:
so you said the power for jumps comes from the lower body. my question , are Deadlifts going to help increase vertical leap?

All leg exercises will increase power in your legs which will give you a better vertical jump. But, your main jumping ability comes from your calves....and the fibers in there. Fast explosive power is the key.

in Highschool I could, but just barely. i can't jump like that anymore because of all the weight I've gained. I think I can run faster now though. (6'1 BTW)

in high school and college, i could dunk a volley ball. i couldnt palm a bball. but i could do a standing jump and grab the rim with both hands, i was just under 6 foot tall then, and weighed a staggering 154 lbs

ive been dunking since 8th grade, i was 5'10 then, im 6'3 now. just graduated highschool. But i have found out since all this weight ive gained, its harder to dunk.

Gooseman said:
so you said the power for jumps comes from the lower body. my question , are Deadlifts going to help increase vertical leap?

somewhat, however, power cleans and even the snatch would be better. on the other hand, strong hamstrings (albeit not disproportionately stronger than the quad) are what you want for a good vertical leap. RDL's, lunges, step-ups, goodmornings, as well as deadlifts and back squats would all be good strength exercises to compliment power exercises (that is power in an explosive sense, e.g., clean and jerk, snatch), to improve vertical leap.

by the way, i was reading an old interview with Leonid Taranenko, a great Russian olympic weightlifter who mentioned an excellent tip on doing goodmornings...he said you should maintain the pressure, or your balance, in the heel of your foot and do this for as long as possible. begin to straighten up as the pressure starts to move forward, away from the heel. also, knees are slightly bent, which i knew already. i've been doing this and loving it, i feel strong with absolutely no strain.

Re: Re: Can you dunk a basketball?

Dial_tone said:

That's not true actually. The average vertical leap of a Division-I basketball player is actually only 28" or so. That's probably negatively skewed by tall post players who don't need a big vert when they're already 6'10" & up. I believe mine was 26" in high school; the highest on the team was a 6'0, 210 DB with a 36".

damn, that's incredible. i wouldn't have guessed that at all, thanks for mentioning that bro. :)

I could dunk when I was in college but I sucked at BB. I was / am only 5'9" and some change so it kinda freaked people out when I did it.

That was backing the late 70's. I can still touch the rim but I cannot dunk.

Top Bottom