Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can you dunk a basketball?

this is not a joke, but i can double pump 180 any day of the week!!!!!!!!!!!!... on a 7 foot rim

Ya'll can or could dunk but can you do it like me...:
fc.sport.2002.024.jpg

ok ok just kidding... It's really NOT me, I'm much more white which probably explains why I will never get this kind of hops despite all the best training in the world... Anyways, it was posted on muscletalk.co.uk by someone who knows the guy. According to him, he's 6'2 and can dunk from the foul line!!!
That should be illegal !

Before my ACL injury a few years ago, I had a 37" Vertical Leap. I worked on it 2-3 times a week. Here was my routine; VERY simple and not very scientific at all :D- Jump Rope for 10-15 minutes, Hurdle Jumps(3 sets of 10 reps), Power Cleans(3 sets of 5 reps), Quick Single Leg Step Ups(3 sets of 10 reps), and Single Leg Calf Raises(4 sets of 20-25 reps). Then, finish off with several supersets of Crunches & Leg Raises.

Last edited:
Damn, I just read the article. It's almost my same old routine and I just happen to put mine together by reading different articles. I guess I was on the right track.:D The highest point I ever touched was 11'1" from a standstill.

here's the upper body part for anyone interested, i thought is was a good read..

In part 1 of this series I introduced an new type of power training called Ascending-Descending training. This is a method developed by strength coach extraordinaire Jean Boutet. Part 2 will explain how one can use the Ascending-Descending principles for upper body training and how to design a weekly training schedule. The article is gonna be repetitive, it pretty much is the same thing as part 1 except for the exercises, periodization and exercise explanations.
The nuts and bolts
The method is simple. It uses a series of exercises, each different in nature in regard to the F = ma equation. It will use one pure slow-speed strength exercise (or limit strength exercise), one strength-speed exercise, one speed-strength exercise, one reactive strength exercise and one bounding exercise.

Exercises:
1. Bench press / Incline bench press
2. Push press
3. Medicine ball throw from chest
4. Depth push-ups
5. Half power push ups for reps
The workout is done twice per week. The first time you start with no.5 and work up to no.1 (ascending training). In the second training you start with no.1 and work your way down to no.5 (descending training). This way, you emphasize the high speed movements once and the slower speed movements with a greater strength component once also. This will allow you to get an incredibly powerful and explosive upper body!

Program design
While it's not set in stone, I recommend using a 3-1 approach to this training. This means that you increase the volume during the first 3 weeks, then cut it down drastically during the fourth week to allow the body to surcompensate. During week 3 you should be at the end of the line ... you should be tired and somewhat fatigued (although not excessively). Performance-wise that third week is your lowest point (keep that in mind!), but during the fourth week you get better and better and when you start a new 4 weeks cycle you are much improved compared to the first cycle. This progression is maintained for 3 cycles.
Here's what a sample program might look like. You'll notice that I do not write the reps, sets and load immediately. Right after the workout description there will be a list of periodization tables for each exercise explaining how much to do every week. BTW, the exercises are not supersetted, you do all the sets for exercise one then move on to exercise two etc.

The program tables
Table 1. Exercises and training density
Training Day Exercise Rest intervals btw. sets
Tuesday
1/2 power push ups 1-2 minutes
Depth push ups 1-2 minutes
Med. Ball throw 2-3 minutes
Push press 2-3 minutes
Bench press 3-4 minutes

Friday
Bench press 3-4 minutes
Push press 2-3 minutes
Med. Ball throw 2-3 minutes
Dept push ups 1-2 minutes
1/2 power push ups 1-2 minutes

Table 2. Periodization for the bench press
Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4 Week 5 Week 6 Week 7 Week 8
Reps 7 6 5 4 6 5 4 3
Sets 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 3
Load 80 % 83 % 85 % 88 % 85 % 88 % 90 % 92 %
Tempo 3-0-1 3-0-1 3-0-1 3-0-1 3-0-1 3-0-1 3-0-1 3-0-1

Table 3. Periodization for the push press
Reps 5 4 3 2 4 3 2 1
Sets 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 3
Load 83 % 85 % 88 % 90 % 88 % 90 % 92 % 95-100 %
Tempo Explosive Explosive Explosive Explosive Expl
osive Explosive Explosive Explosive

Table 4. Periodization for the medicine ball throw
Reps 10 9 8 7 9 8 7 6
Sets 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 3
Load 10-20lbs 10-20lbs 10-20lbs 10-20lbs 10-20lbs 10-20lbs 10-20lbs 10-20lbs

Table 5. Periodization for the depth push ups
Reps 10 10 10 10 12 12 12 12
Sets 3 4 5 2 3 4 5 2
Load BW* BW* BW* BW* BW* BW* BW* BW*
*) The load is body weight only

Table 6. Periodization for the 1/2 power push ups for reps
Reps AMAP10* AMAP15* AMAP20* AMAP15* AMAP20* AMAP2
5* AMAP30* AMAP25*
Sets 3 4 5 2 3 4 5 2
Load BW** BW** BW** BW** BW** BW** BW** BW**

*) Refer to As Much reps As Possible, the number refers to the amount of time. So AMAP10 means as much reps as possible in 10 seconds.
**) The load is body weight only

Constructing the workouts:
To build your workouts you simply have to look at the periodization tables. Let's say that you are in week 3 and that it's your Friday workout. That would give you:
1. Bench press
6 sets of 5 reps with 85% using a tempo of 301, 3-4 minutes between sets
2. Push press
6 sets of 3 reps with 88%, 2-3 minutes between sets
3. Medicine ball throw from chest
5 sets of 10 reps with 10-20lbs, 2-3 minutes between sets
4. Depth push ups
5 sets of 10 with your body weight, 1-2 minutes between sets
5. 1/2 power push ups for reps
5 sets of AMAP20 with your bodyweight, 1-2 minutes between sets

The exercises explained

Bench press: Well if you don't know what this exercise is or how you perform it you've probably been hiding in a cave for the last 20 years!

1. Hold the bar slightly wider than shoulder width
2. Lower the bar to the nipples
3. Press the bar upwards in a straight line
You can use the incline bench press instead, which I find to be more specific.

1. Hold the bar slightly wider than shoulder width
2. Lower the bar to the nipples
3. Press the bar upwards slightly towards your face

Push press: A push press is best described as a cheated shoulder press. You get the bar moving by starting the movement with a leg drive.

1. Hold the bar on your shoulders/collar bone, grip slightly wider than your shoulders.
2. Start the movement with a rapid leg dip followed by a powerful leg drive upward.
3. At the same time press the bar with your arms, try to lift the bar with as much speed as possible

Medicine ball throw from chest: There is 2 variations of this exercise. Standing up or lying down. The standing up version is more specific to sports but involves the torso and a bit of the lower body while the lying down version is more targeted to the upper body, but is a bit less specific. For my money I prefer the standing up version when athletes are concerned but the other one has some merits too. If you choose to do the lying down version, be sure to have a partner to catch the ball for you!

Depth push ups: This is the upper body equivalent of the depth jump. You let yourself fall from a certain height, land on the ground, and explode upward as fast as possible.

1. Feet on the ground, hands on blocks (or 2-3 45lbs plates) 8-10" wider than shoulder width.
2. Let yourself drop from the blocks
3. Land on the ground in the push up position and immediately project yourself upwards in the air ... imagine that the ground is hot lava.
4. Land back on the blocks.

1/2 Power push ups for reps: This exercise is great for developing quickness in the upper body. Start in a push-up position, dips down halfway and project yourself in the air, do the reps fast and try to do as many reps as possible in the prescribed time frame.

1. Start in your regular push up position.
2. Quickly dip down halfway (arms around 90 degrees).
3. Project yourself in the air.
4. Land in the push up position and quickly start another rep.

Complete training schedule / Adding other exercises / Conclusion...
Complete training schedule

If you choose to do the whole ascending - descending power program the schedule is as follow:

Monday: Ascending lower body
Tuesday: Ascending upper body
Wednesday: off
Thursday: Descending lower body
Friday: Descending upper body
Saturday: off
Sunday: off

Adding other exercises
This program contains minimal upper body work for most athletes. Many of us are used to doing much more exercises for the upper body. More for aesthetic reasons than performance reasons in my opinion. So if you want to add other exercises for the shoulders, back, chest, biceps or triceps you can do so BUT only after all the prescribed work is done.

However keep the volume relatively low as you'll already be taxing your system with this program. I would recommend doing 5-10 sets for the upper back, the rest is up to you.

Another alternative is to add your additional exercises on Saturday. Saturday is ideal for extra work because working out on this day will not negatively affect your performance on the subsequent prescribed workout (because you have a full day of rest before it).

Conclusion
Once again let me tell you that this is not a powerlifting or bodybuilding program. It is not optimal to develop maximum strength and/or size. It is an approach to develop maximum power and should be used mainly by athletes wishing to improve their sport performance.

On the other hand, it is a great program to develop power. But that doesn't mean that you should only use this program for the rest of your life. Phases focusing more on limit strength and size must be included in your yearly planification.

Texas Ranger said:
Damn, I just read the article. It's almost my same old routine and I just happen to put mine together by reading different articles. I guess I was on the right track.:D The highest point I ever touched was 11'1" from a standstill.
Yeah your training was basic but very good! 37in vert that's outstanding!! How tall are you btw? About 6'2 - 6'3 right?

Top Bottom