Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

you know that break up of a punch being 1/3 strength, 1/3 waist whip, 1/3 legs

danielson

Elite Mentor
Platinum
can someone explain to me what the 1/3 legs is?

is it simply having your legs placed nicely and still?

or is it somemotion of your legs that i dont know of?

always wondered

When you use your legs in a punch(like a strong cross) you spring off your legs(sounds exaggerated) Its one of the reasons you stay on the ball of your rear foot. Try it on a heavy bag sometime. First, fire a cross with both feet planted firmly. Then, fire one while using your legs. You'll notice a significant power difference.

Kinda like Joe Pesci did in My Cousin Vinny:D

Last edited:
thanks bro :)

ill have to give it a try....they not teach grasshopper how to do that in kung-fu yet :D

no offense thaibox, but you're absolutely wrong. Going up on the balls of your feet when you hit something turns your body into a shock absorber, which is what you don't want. You want all the force you generated from the punch to be transferred into what you punched. By your back foot going up onto it's ball, you're making a weak link which in turn will abosorb the shock from the impact, thus making you rock slightly back upon impact. Coming up on the balls of your feet is only ok when you're moving toward the target "swiftly"......your forward momentum will make up for the loss in rigidity. But from a standstill, your back knee should explode toward the target, but your feet should remain flat, or as flat as possible.......with the back being "near" lockout just at impact. For other type of attacks it's ok to come up, but for the "power" punches, if you're trying to finish someone off or you're trying to break something, you have to make sure your body doesn't become the absorber of the impact.

BigPhysics, I've read many of your posts over time, and you're always a helpful bro and usually have good info to share. However, your theory makes no sense at all. It is physically impossible to achieve what you are describing. I've been fighting for years and taught many people, and one of the first things I stress is the exact opposite of what you said. You never EVER keep your rear foot planted flat when striking. Before you respond to this post again, go watch a professional fighter and observe as his rear foot is not planted flat.

Listen, I just got home from the gym, so I'm going to go make dinner, then return to rant in more detail with an articulated argument for you bro.

Doesn't moving up on the ball of your foot enable you to get your hips through more. Thereby delivering more power into the punch?

Feet placement

Maybe it's me, but I was always taught that it is good to be rooted. That way you have some place to develop the power from. I was also taught more power came from the hip rotation rather than the legs too, so who's to know. I was shotokan, so I guess it depends on the school.

Later

you and me were taught the same sarge......what's strange though is that you were taught shotokan. My buddy takes shotokan and ALWAYS comes up on the ball of his foot. Seems it's more of an "intructor" thing. Zen, you can still turn your hips just as hard with your feet planted, but your knee has to straighten out in the process.

Well all I know is I threw the fastest, and hardest punch of my life the other night, too bad I never took lessons on how to properly punch, the refrigerator that I hit only moved a few inches, about the same as the bone in my hand, I think that my knuckle is pushed up and over a bone in my hand.

I think it is too late to go to the doctor, so hopefully it will work itself out o.k. now can someone tell me the proper way to hit something so as not to break any bones in the hand or wrist?

lol at the last post

anyhow...i seem to misbalance when i try it, putting too much weight on the front foot as i move

my style advocates rooting too......so there isnt any springing foward taught, so i find it hard to practise it

any hints? ive tried planting my foot flat as i spring and i find it really hard to keep it flat and explode foward. the stance we use is the traditional kung-fu sparring stance (60% weight on back leg, 40% foward), maybe thats the problem?

Top Bottom