Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Thinking of taking psych meds while boxing

New Jack

I've been boxing now for a couple of months. I've been sparring and hope to have my first fight in about three months.

Long story short, I'm 22, don't use ANY anabolics, suffer from Bi Polar disorder, diagnosed by my docter, and I have mood swings. Sometimes I get so depressed and lazy I have trouble training. Other times I get so manic, I lose control and go all out after my sparring parters and therefore run out of gas early. This problem isn't limited to only boxing. I flip out or I'm like catatonic.

My question is this. Will taking anti psych meds 1) help me to calm down in the ring, therefore making me more relaxed and I'll have more stamina and will make me a better fighter. or 2) Make me so passive and lethargic where I won't be able to train, spar, or fight?

or should I take them while I train but days leading up to a fight stop use (like Tyson does?)

Please I need all the help I can get.

Thanks fellas.

hi, i've been doinf boxing for about 10 years now. my advice is take it easy and train a little more without any drugs - at least 1 full year. you will see how it will change everything.

David.

I fucking am sick of seeing psych drugs being over prescribed. So many doctors use this as a way out instead of dealing with the problem. Don't cure the symptom,cure the problem. Without getting to the root you will be on these drugs forever. Beat the shit out of your doctor. That would make me feel better!

Last edited:
New Jack said:
My question is this. Will taking anti psych meds 1) help me to calm down in the ring, therefore making me more relaxed and I'll have more stamina and will make me a better fighter. or 2) Make me so passive and lethargic where I won't be able to train, spar, or fight?
If your diagnosis was good, meds can help you get your WHOLE LIFE on a better track. I know boxing has become important to you - that's great. But boxing is secondary.

If you need meds for bi-polar and your doc is any good, you will go through a period of trying and assessing a couple different drug regimes until you find the one that works best for you. One drug regime might make you lethargic, kill your libido, etc., or it may be just right.

Going off your meds to fight is a mistake in my opinion.

wartime100, with all due respect you have no idea if drugs are or are not warranted in this case. Regardless, I agree that even when they may be warranted, many doctors foolishly leave it up to the drugs to "end" the problem. Good psychotherapy and other forms of psychological homework can sometimes (not always) dig out the roots of the problem and help diminish or even eliminate the symptoms.

Re: Re: Thinking of taking psych meds while boxing

Silent Method said:

wartime100, with all due respect you have no idea if drugs are or are not warranted in this case. Regardless, I agree that even when they may be warranted, many doctors foolishly leave it up to the drugs to "end" the problem. Good psychotherapy and other forms of psychological homework can sometimes (not always) dig out the roots of the problem and help diminish or even eliminate the symptoms.

I don't disagree that these meds have there places in certain instances. I just believe that alot of people are over prescribed these drugs. I think the cure a symptom not the root of the problem. Just about every girl I know is on antidepressants.

That's all well and good, but I think one must use discretion when advising strangers on the internet in regards to the value of their doctors psychiatric diagnosis and prescribed treatment.

Well I can't say I have personal experience but look at what happened to Mike Tyson. Lewis refused to fight Tyson without him (Tyson) being on his psych meds. Look what happened. Tyson looked like the biggest p&*$y in the ring. I have no proof of this, this is just what I read in an article some time after the fight.
IG

It all depends on what you're taking. Bi-Polar disorder is a major mental illness, as per the DSM IV (psych disorders manual) and just "talking" about it won't cure it, meds are a must or the illness will get worse.

gimp said:
...just "talking" about it won't cure it, meds are a must or the illness will get worse.
No, just talking about it will not cure it. However, the statement "meds are a must or the illness will get worse" is a blind generalization.

Re: Re: Thinking of taking psych meds while boxing

Silent Method said:

If your diagnosis was good, meds can help you get your WHOLE LIFE on a better track. I know boxing has become important to you - that's great. But boxing is secondary.

If you need meds for bi-polar and your doc is any good, you will go through a period of trying and assessing a couple different drug regimes until you find the one that works best for you. One drug regime might make you lethargic, kill your libido, etc., or it may be just right.

Going off your meds to fight is a mistake in my opinion.

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Top Bottom