Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Reached one running goal, need advice now.

• Thread starter Thread starter solidj55
  • Start date Start date
S

solidj55

I reached my goal of just being able to run 5 miles, I honestly think I could have done it before but I needed to learn what pace I could run at to get 5 miles. I by no means ran the 5 miles in a good amount of time and I ran it on a flat 1/4 mile track. Now I want to work on my two mile pace/speed. I need help with a routine. I am wanting to decrease my time on my 2-3 mile runs. I was thinking of a routine like this.

Monday
2 mile run(run on a flat 1/4 mile track)

Wednesday
3.6 mile run (cross country and 1/4mile track) This is kinda weird but I will try to explain it. I live exactly 1.3 miles from the track I run at. I leave my front door and have approximately a 50 meter hill to run up and then about 100 meters of flat and then I hit about 20 meters of another hill. Then the rest of the 1.3 mile run is down hill until I get to the track. Once I get to the track I was planning to run 1 mile at the track and the run the 1.3 miles back home all up hill with the exception of the two hills I talked about in the beginning of the run that will now be down hill.

Friday
2 mile run(1mile jog and 1 mile Fartlek Style-Fartlek style mean 100meter slow, 100 meter moderate, 100 meter sprint, etc for a mile)

What do you guys think???

OR I was thinking of this...

Mon
6x400m

Wed
3.6 miles cross country

Fri
4x800m repeats

Sat
2 miles(1 mile jog, 1 mile Fartlek)

How what that be???

I have run repeat miles and repeat 1/2 miles in the past when I used to run and they helped a lot. I have also used Fartlek before and it worked well for adding distance and speed. So those are definetly two methods I want to use in my routine. I also figured that the longer distance cross country run would help with endurance as well as running the hills that will be in the run should help build up leg strength so I want to do that as well. What do you think?? Which one should I use or what??

solidj55 said:
I reached my goal of just being able to run 5 miles, I honestly think I could have done it before but I needed to learn what pace I could run at to get 5 miles. I by no means ran the 5 miles in a good amount of time and I ran it on a flat 1/4 mile track. Now I want to work on my two mile pace/speed. I need help with a routine. I am wanting to decrease my time on my 2-3 mile runs. I was thinking of a routine like this.

Monday
2 mile run(run on a flat 1/4 mile track)

Wednesday
3.6 mile run (cross country and 1/4mile track) This is kinda weird but I will try to explain it. I live exactly 1.3 miles from the track I run at. I leave my front door and have approximately a 50 meter hill to run up and then about 100 meters of flat and then I hit about 20 meters of another hill. Then the rest of the 1.3 mile run is down hill until I get to the track. Once I get to the track I was planning to run 1 mile at the track and the run the 1.3 miles back home all up hill with the exception of the two hills I talked about in the beginning of the run that will now be down hill.

Friday
2 mile run(1mile jog and 1 mile Fartlek Style-Fartlek style mean 100meter slow, 100 meter moderate, 100 meter sprint, etc for a mile)

What do you guys think???

OR I was thinking of this...

Mon
6x400m

Wed
3.6 miles cross country

Fri
4x800m repeats

Sat
2 miles(1 mile jog, 1 mile Fartlek)

How what that be???

I have run repeat miles and repeat 1/2 miles in the past when I used to run and they helped a lot. I have also used Fartlek before and it worked well for adding distance and speed. So those are definetly two methods I want to use in my routine. I also figured that the longer distance cross country run would help with endurance as well as running the hills that will be in the run should help build up leg strength so I want to do that as well. What do you think?? Which one should I use or what??

Working on it hold on

fhg

solidj55, I'm not sure what your experience with track/running is, but mine has been that its like building a pyramid.
You first lay the base with lots of long distance, this takes 6 months outta the year (if your building up for a season)
and includes your 3-5 mile runs, and mile repeats.
As you get towards your season your base should be big enough and now its time to work on your peak. This is done with short routines at high intensity. You probably don't need to go under 400m, try doing 12-16 400's or 6-10 800's twice a week, and mile repeats once or twice a week, and a long 3-5 mile once a week.
(so basically closer to your second routine)
Timing your workouts, and timing your rest intervals is critical. you can't be taking 5 minutes between these things or your wasting your time.

For a 400m take about 1.5-2 minutes, for an 800 take between 2-3 minutes
and between mile repeates between 4-5 minutes

Top Bottom