Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Glute/Ham Raise and Reverse Hyper Alternatives

I know - the bench on the leg extension I was using is a little odd and I couldn't get a high raise off it. The LE with a more angled bench was being actively used though, and I didn't feel like kicking the user off just to take a pic. Basically, I'm only raising my lower body (using weight) to get a good glute/ham squeeze at the top. I'm not sure it's really a glute/ham raise since you're moving your lower body, not your upper. But I couldn't think of another name for it. :-) I tried to do it similar to what you are describing on the slant board, but kept sliding off the LE. I'm sure I was amusing several people at the time.

I'll have to try the slant board - luckily we have one of those.

I've been using a couch at home to do a modified glute ham raise. I place my feet under the bottem edge and kneel on a folded towel on the floor. Until I get stronger I have been using a kitchen chair in front of me to "land" on and push off of. Not the widest r.o.m but boy can I get a good workout . Another thing that may work for you : Laying on the floor and placing one foot on a bench (or whatever) push off with that leg,keeping the other leg straight. Play around with this and you should be able to feel it in your hammies. I suppose a person could place a plate on their abs to increase the resistence.-Valerie

Slant board

I tried glute/ham raises using the slant board today - OWWWW - but in a good way. :insane:

This also made me look at the slant board in a new light :think: - it's now officially become my parallel hyper extension replacement. My fav ab movement is sitting on the hyper extension and extending backward - I stole a bench and put it on the other side of the slant board, hooked my feet into the rack, and voila! Perfect setup for this ab movement too.

I have kind of an odd workout right now - more PL focused than BB focused. I do 3 multi-joint workouts/week; each workout has one multi-joint leg, push, and pull exercise, plus one or two additional exercises, depending on that day's focus. I have two additional workouts for assistance work - one day is upper body, second day is lower body. I would do glute/ham raises or reverse hypers on my lower body assistance day. For example, today I did leg extensions, sissy squats, db leg curls, and glute/ham raises.

I think I'm doing OK with these. I found a piece of equipment that has a bar about 8 inches off the floor where I can anchor my feet. I found I can vary the involvement stress on my hams by how much of a push I use with the push-up off the floor. If I keep a straight line between my knees and shoulders and don't give much of a push it's hard enough that both hams cramp up bad & I have to stop and stretch, but if I give a little push and stick out my butt a little it's about right. I get some funny looks, but mostly from the ladies on the way out from spin class, and they look at me funny anyway. The other night a guy doing squats next to me recognized what I was doing, and we commiserated over the lack of a glute-ham machine. I'm following Dave Tate's 9 week intro program right now so I do them on squat days.

I train hams on leg days now. I was training them seperately from leg days but changed up my routine.

- JJFigure, off topic question for you: what are those awesome sneakers/hiking shoes you have on in that pic?

Those are a pair of trail running shoes - they're Timberlands, but I don't remember the exact make. I lived in Colorado for a while, with a trail head right outside my front door. These are great for trail running, but now that I'm back on the East coast, I don't have easy access trails to run on anymore. :-( That's why I'm wearing them to the gym - have to get some use out of them.

Help... What am I doing wrong I tried these on a Slant Board and my knees keep falling between the space in the board at the top where it locks in.
Can anybody take a pic of this?

Thanks CC
:D

Top Bottom