Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Glute/Ham Raise and Reverse Hyper Alternatives

JJFigure

FitMedic and I have been trying to replicate the glute/ham raise using the Smith with no luck. The Smiths at my gym don't have a low enough bar position to accomplish the movement posted in the Sample PL workout thread. So, we're asking for more ideas on how to accomplish glute/ham raises and reverse hypers at a BB gym...the type of gym that only has 45 degree angle hyper benches.

I think I may have a glute/ham raise alternative using a leg curl bench, and I'll take my camera in tomorrow am and post the pics. I think it would only work on a very adjustable leg curl though. I have not found any way to replicate a reverse hyper though, and that's one of my favorite exercises.

We'd appreciate any alternative exercise anyone has come up with; pictures, video, and creativity are very welcome! Thanks!

I've been eye-balling a free standing preacher bench we have at my gym, to see if I could use that as a reverse-hyper alternative. I think if you put your hips on the flat side and elbows on the angled side and held on to the seat, you might be able to pull it off. No bands at my gym though - I may have to just buy some.

I hadn't thought of using an incline bench - you'd want a nice heavy one so it wouldn't tip on you. Hmmm...

maybe i could figure the picture out if someone could just explain it to me...you know, what youre supposed to be doing. or maybe if the picture were in motion but i guess thats kinda asking too much :)

I love glute/ham raises!! My fav by far!

I have a suggestion for the Smith machine. The Smith at my gym doesn't have a low enough bar position either but you can modify. I put the barbell in the lowest postion that it can go and add an aerobic step and 2 risers or extra height. I wrap some foam around the barbell and place a pad or cushion under my knees for support/comfort.

Using the seated lat pull down - kneel on the seat and place your ankles under the knee cushions (I use the lowest positon).

I also like to use a stick for support, my hams are not that strong yet - but these have been helping them get there!!

fitmedic said:
maybe i could figure the picture out if someone could just explain it to me...you know, what youre supposed to be doing. or maybe if the picture were in motion but i guess thats kinda asking too much :)

There are videos on the sample powerlifiting workouts thread

ok just looked at the videos. AHH HAA!!! i get it now, but how do you prevent your knees from sliding down( and out or i guess underneath) the pad when your are all the way up in the vertical position?

Top Bottom