Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Androgel - What was the results? Worth it?

Primordial Performance said:
So my questions are:

*Why would it (androgel) be manufactured and prescribed for men (older in my case) with low test if it did not work?

One 5gm tube “works” for getting most men into the very low normal range. In some cases, it can actually lower your testosterone level because it suppresses your body’s own production, without supplying enough T to bring levels up to what you maintain naturally. Most doctors find that men often need (2) 5gm tubes everyday in order to get T levels to a satisfactory high-normal range. (700-800ng/dl) At this point it becomes quite an expensive option if you don’t have insurance.

If your levels are already in the mid-normal range, and you simply want a T boost, then you should consider more natural options that will make your body produce more of its own T production, (ie. Derma Sustain) rather than just taking a low dose of testosterone. (which will basically replace your current levels unless you use enough to push you beyond your current point)

*Does it work for some but not others?

Right, it does work better for some men. Many factors can influence what ng/dl result you get from a tube of Androgel. IE. androgen metabolism, body temp, skin thickness, other drugs, skin permeability, ect.

*Is it more of a boost for long term therapy?

Actualy, it eventually becomes less effective because the skin builds a resistence to permeation. This mostly has to do with Androgel using a high concentration of alcohol which tends to dry the skin at a micro level… thus making it harder for hormones to pass the skin.

*Anyone have any other concrete studies or evidence that it is totally ineffective?

Again, its not totally ineffective, but for what it is, it’s very overpriced. Testosterone, alcohol, and thickener cost pennies, yet the pharm companies sell each packet of this stuff for an outrageous $$$ amount. Men often notice more benefit from Dermacrine, and spend half as much.
-Pp

Thanks for the info PP, and you're right that I am fortunate enough to have good insurance. A one month supply is a copay of $50, and without insurance is $250 straight up. For two months I'll be giving it a try and see how it works, and if it doesn't help, at least that gives me more ammo to get 'improved therapy' even if I have to switch dr's.

Per our conversation I'll eventually try it with the Dermacine I just got from you. That should be a nice combo. Maybe I'll be the first "Gel Stacker".. :chomp:

Ok, it's about time I stepped in and gave my 3 cents...

Androgel is effective for many, maybe even most guys, in raising their test levels substantially. Surprisingly, after having been put on androgel (4 pumps a day) for 4 weeks, I got my bloodwork back and my levels were in the 600 range.

However, there is no doubt that the method of application totally sucks. It's messy for sure. If you sweat alot like I do, you may as well not even put it on. You can't shower or get wet for hours after application. It's just not convenient for...well, for living life! Given all the crap going on in the media these days, it's worth starting off slow and "humoring" the doctor by playing dumb and taking the androgel... then after a month or so and you get your bloodwork, raise all the concerns that everyone's mentioned and he should be sympathetic. If not, simply go to another doctor. At least at that point you now have a history of low test and HRT. You tell the new doctor that the gel sort of made you feel better, but the application was just not feasible. Unfortunately, many general practitioners have little to no experience with HRT, let alone androgel or injectable test even.

I'm 33, I started off with androgel, it worked well enough. In fact, androgel has a tendancy to give you spontaneous wood. If not mistaken, I think it has to do with the fact that transdermal application of test is converted more to DHT, which leads to the boners. I applied it on upper arms and upper back, sometimes abdominal area. Never tried rubbin' it on the boys...yikes! Curious now though *grin*

I think the other benefit of androgel is more stable blood levels. That being said, it may not be enough to want to deal with the messy application (it wasn't for me). I'm on inject test cyp now, 100mg/wk. It's only been a couple months and we'll see how bloodwork turns out next month.

Good luck!

PWTurbofan said:
Definitely broly - good luck and keep us posted. In the end, guaranteed US pharma grade test is a good deal, especially if you can get insurance to foot the bill.

Thanks bro, I hope it does the trick, and who knows, maybe if this doesn't work I can move up to the "US pharma grade test" you mentioned. At least I'll have proof that I'm deemed upgradable. :evil:

njmuscleguy said:
Ok, it's about time I stepped in and gave my 3 cents...

Androgel is effective for many, maybe even most guys, in raising their test levels substantially. Surprisingly, after having been put on androgel (4 pumps a day) for 4 weeks, I got my bloodwork back and my levels were in the 600 range.

However, there is no doubt that the method of application totally sucks. It's messy for sure. If you sweat alot like I do, you may as well not even put it on. You can't shower or get wet for hours after application. It's just not convenient for...well, for living life! Given all the crap going on in the media these days, it's worth starting off slow and "humoring" the doctor by playing dumb and taking the androgel... then after a month or so and you get your bloodwork, raise all the concerns that everyone's mentioned and he should be sympathetic. If not, simply go to another doctor. At least at that point you now have a history of low test and HRT. You tell the new doctor that the gel sort of made you feel better, but the application was just not feasible. Unfortunately, many general practitioners have little to no experience with HRT, let alone androgel or injectable test even.

I'm 33, I started off with androgel, it worked well enough. In fact, androgel has a tendancy to give you spontaneous wood. If not mistaken, I think it has to do with the fact that transdermal application of test is converted more to dihydrotestosterone, which leads to the boners. I applied it on upper arms and upper back, sometimes abdominal area. Never tried rubbin' it on the boys...yikes! Curious now though *grin*

I think the other benefit of androgel is more stable blood levels. That being said, it may not be enough to want to deal with the messy application (it wasn't for me). I'm on inject test testosterone cypionate now, 100mg/wk. It's only been a couple months and we'll see how bloodwork turns out next month.

Good luck!

I hope I have similar results, and I am not looking forward to the mess it seems to be using it. As I have mentioned in numerous posts, I am really sensitive to most meds, so unless this is the exception I anticipate it will work for my specific needs. If it doesn't I'll be back on the Dr's doorstep looking for the real deal, but I will switch Dr's if I have too. I agree that if I have "documented history" that it didn't work for me, and I think that will be an 'edge' to move up the HRT/TRT ladder. I gotta start somewhere.

Thanks for the post bro, it is helpful.

Find a doctor who understands male HRT. No one single therapy works across the board and not everyone responds well to topicals. My husband's been on t. replacement for over a year now, we started out with the cream, originally he responded really well, then his numbers started crashing, more cream, still crummy numbers.

His doctor said the next options are a) pellets or b) shots. We did research, we picked shots. A good doctor realizes there is more than one way to approach this problem, and one who understands HRT KNOWS that total test in the 300s is just a shitty way for a man to be living.

musclemom said:
Find a doctor who understands male HRT. No one single therapy works across the board and not everyone responds well to topicals. My husband's been on t. replacement for over a year now, we started out with the cream, originally he responded really well, then his numbers started crashing, more cream, still crummy numbers.

His doctor said the next options are a) pellets or b) shots. We did research, we picked shots. A good doctor realizes there is more than one way to approach this problem, and one who understands HRT KNOWS that total test in the 300s is just a shitty way for a man to be living.

That's what the plan is long term, but I had to start somewhere. Believe me that as conservative as he is, he did finally concede that after all this time in the low 300 range, he would start with the gel. This may just be a stepping stone similar to your hubby's situation. And yes, it is a shitty way to be living when I know I'm finally working out properly, consistantly, eating the best I have in my life, and my chronological age and biology are all but stopping any decent gains I am trying to earn.

I wish you were my doc musclemom, you'd crack that whip and get me what I need! :velvett:

well, it's off to the cardiologist for me. i've ran test 5X now and the fifth time 5mg per day of the gel and it still makes my heart go fucking goofy. 3rd day on the shit and my heart rate ran at about 160 for about 2 hours beating irregular the whole time. this is fucking bullshit. only thing i can think is my thyroid is sensitive to whats happening and is acting up. FUCK!@ I talk to tons and tons and tons of people on here and nothing like this happens to them but it happens every time to me. it scares the shit outta me. i didn't put the gel on this morning. fuck it. someone was saying they can do something to prevent the short circuiting to prevent the atrial fibs. i know it's what i had, i can feel my heart beating crazy but pulse doesn't reflect it. and then the pulse slowly comes up and then the ventricles get confused and beat irregular cause they don't know what the fuck the atriums doing. hehe. whatta fucking joke.

musclemom said:
A good doctor realizes there is more than one way to approach this problem, and one who understands HRT KNOWS that total test in the 300s is just a shitty way for a man to be living.

Well said! The funny thing is, my doctor knew enough to tell me that he didn't know enough about HRT, so he referred to me an "expert", an endo in NYC. This endo ran bloodwork twice, saw that my levels were in the 200-300 range and said that was normal, and refused to put me on HRT. What a joke! If only his test would drop to that level for a week and have him see what it feels like! Bottom line, if you feel you qualify for HRT and you feel like crap, find a doctor that will listen!

jagerbombme said:
well, it's off to the cardiologist for me. i've ran test 5X now and the fifth time 5mg per day of the gel and it still makes my heart go fucking goofy. 3rd day on the shit and my heart rate ran at about 160 for about 2 hours beating irregular the whole time. this is fucking bullshit. only thing i can think is my thyroid is sensitive to whats happening and is acting up. FUCK!@ I talk to tons and tons and tons of people on here and nothing like this happens to them but it happens every time to me. it scares the shit outta me. i didn't put the gel on this morning. fuck it. someone was saying they can do something to prevent the short circuiting to prevent the atrial fibs. i know it's what i had, i can feel my heart beating crazy but pulse doesn't reflect it. and then the pulse slowly comes up and then the ventricles get confused and beat irregular cause they don't know what the fuck the atriums doing. hehe. whatta fucking joke.

Sorry to hear that, and I can relate somewhat..
This was very similar to the effect d.bol had on me. My heart and BP went completely friggen off the wall. That's what I mean about my being sensitive to meds. I am praying that this gel shit doesn't do the same bad things, but I won't know until I try it. I pick it up after work today and will first apply it tomorrow. At least it's the weekend so any issues will not affect me at work, not that I am anticipating any..

I'll post my first expereinces with it in the next few days.

Last edited:
jagerbombme said:
Weird ass shit started happening in the cardiac department for both my husband and I when we started supplementing with test. His HRT doc is a board certified cardiologist, too, so he's been through the whole cardiac stress test/nuclear testing and he's got a heart like a racehorse. I realized there was a dietary/supplement connection. As long as we don't take fish oil or coQ10 and eat a low fat diet we're fine.

Fucked if I know what's going on and it's got his doctor scratching his head too. There's a long history of cardiac disease in my family but husband's side, nada. It's definitely hormone mediated, but I don't believe conventional medicine understands enough about how hormones regulate bodily systems. Most doctors just don't get the concept of wholistic health (and I'm using the term to literally mean "as a whole system").

Top Bottom