Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

deadlift plateau advice-

MsBeverlyHills

Ive started deadlifting again after taking a month off for injuries & Im still stuck at 185!

my routine-

warm-up 1x10 @ 135
work sets 1x8 @ 155
1x5 @ 175
1x3 @ 185

If I go heavier, - my reps drop to singles & I really get more muscle growth at higher reps. SO my goal is to hit 200 @ 5 reps.

any ideas to bring up my lifts & keep the reps high? thanks :)

You might check out 'superqt4u2nv' posts. She just set a new record tonight and her post from around a week ago had a lot of suggestions.

The first thing that we all noticed is that she does wayyyy too many warm ups with 135. 135 is a significant lift for you guys. It's 55% of her then 1RM and I venture it's around the same or slightly more for you (plus you do 185 for 8 also). It's just too taxing to get a real idea on where your current level of strength is.

Aside from that, the best thing you can do is look at your deadlift. Where are you weak? Do you miss off the floor and you can lock out anything past the knees? Is the lockout hard? Is the whole thing just a grind from beginning to end?

Then looking at your technique. Do you make the most of your strength by accelerating the bar? This can often improve your lifts a ton. Is your setup correct? Maybe a video if you feel up to posting it. Try to get more than 1 angle and a side view will really be helpful.

So anyway, you take all of that and arrive at a training plan. The dead can be problematic in that you have to be careful with the volume/frequency because it is so taxing as to be problematic. Westside works around this using box squats and goodmornings. Doing some speed work on the dead might help too. Maybe read some articles at www.elitefts.com or in the archives at www.deepsquatter.com. A lot of them are geared to PL or 1RM lifting but there is no reason one can't apply the same or similar to arrive at one's best 5 rep max.

thanks madcow, the thing is I can pull 200- but I cant rep it. What routine do you suggest? I dont like doing singles in that it doesnt give the muscle growth/hypertrophy that higher reps do. make sense? Im not a powerlifter.

So you are wanting to build up muscular endurance right? Like madcow said, you might want to take that 135 and lower the amount of reps in it. You can try doing some singles in the beginning of your workout at 135x3, 155x1, 185x1 and then try and get as many as you can out of the 200.

Like MC said, analyzing technique and where you fail is hard without posting a vid. Where does your form start to fail on the last rep of 185? Are you fast off the floor or are you having trouble at the top? What is giving out first is what I am asking? When you find that out you can start to build that weakness up with some localized endurance training for that muscle.

My lower back fails first on my lifts. I spend a certain amount of time doing the 45 degree hypers for reps on the days that I don't dead or after my dead training. I also do some static holds to help train my back to contract for my squat.

You just have to find the weak link and make it stronger. Maybe a training partner can help you analyze that aspect of it.

MsBeverlyHills said:
thanks madcow, the thing is I can pull 200- but I cant rep it. What routine do you suggest? I dont like doing singles in that it doesnt give the muscle growth/hypertrophy that higher reps do. make sense? Im not a powerlifter.

First - read this and you'll understand why we are kind of going in circles with the dead rather than laying out a specific progression. This is the one lift where it's just not that easy: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4783202&postcount=388

There's no need to train with singles all the time or even any of the time. Training the dead in the 3-5 range is fairly effective.

The main issue though is that the dead is very taxing. Anyone can squat 3x per week using full range OL style squats. I don't believe this to be the case with the dead and neither does anyone else I know who's opinion I value.

Caveate - Stephen Korte's 3x3 program does have you pull 3x per week but I don't think you want to do this. This is a brutal program where you only bench, squat, and dead 3x per week for 8 weeks culminating in new singles but the typical reps are 5 in volume and 3 in intensity with a single performed once per week in the intensity phase. Believe me, your 5 rep max will definitely go up. It's in the deepsquatter archives (upper right corner) http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/. I used to have an automated spreadsheet. Very hard program though. If the dead is a strong lift for you, you are going to be beaten up when you leave the gym (you do it after a lot of squats and benches).

Anyway, the whole deal is that the dead is very taxing. Korte gets away with it because he's careful with percentages and there is zero assistance work. This can work for you - probably will work for you which is why instead of a quick caveate I've typed a lot. Maybe you want to do more standard workouts and just overlay the deadlift on top of it (you will still need to synchronize volume/intensity to match the loading and deloading phases though).

Westside exists at the other end of the spectrum where the deadlift itself isn't used much in favor of box squats and goodmornings. Here is where you evaluate your lift and determine your weak points.

I happen to use a lot of Olympic lifting exercises because you can pull a whole lot and there is a good carry over to the dead. If you don't know these or variants you are basically stuck with only the dead and maybe some speed deads but you don't have anything else to substitute in that isn't as draining but has good carryover. There are some OL videos here, maybe you want to look at the clean pull or snatch pull. Snatch pull's wide grip allows you to train from a lower starting height (a la the previous poster's suggestion of standing on plates or using smaller diameter plates). This helps if you are weak a the bottom. Doing rack pulls or even clean pulls from the hang position (just above the knees) can really help build some strength and acceleration in the top position. Vids are here:http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

So noticing the trend, you now understand why I can't lay something out and make you pull 3x per week without taking a lot of care to make sure I don't cane you with the protocol (this is really the absolute bitch exercise to improve as sometimes the quickest way is not a straight line. By the way Bill Starr has a whole article on increasing the DL without deadlifting which largely spawned Westside's use of the goodmorning. There are links to BIll's program in the post of mine that I put at the top.

SO maybe if you give us an idea on where you are weak (posting a video of a max or a set carried to failure would be helpful but I understand if you don't want your face on this board - a side view is preferable anyway so maybe that can be shot without showing who you are). Either way, let us know where you are weak. Read some of what is provided in these posts and let us know how you want to address it. If you could also provide your non-specialized program so we can get an idea of what you are used to that would help too.

Sorry to go so round and round but like I said - this lift can't always be approached in a straight line. Or you can try Korte's program. It will absolutely improve your 5 rep max, have no doubt but like I said, it's pretty hard and no offense but it's not something I'd usually mention to a girl. That said, you are already deadlifting, you are committed, the choice is yours whether or not you want to use it. Personally, I'd be impressed. You'd have my vote for hardcore woman of the year because it has made weeping children out of more than a few hardened men.

Last edited:
Here is what works for me.

Do heavy singles for a while to build up power. Lower warm up rep count as the others have mentioned. Then come in once a month and do "speed" pulls. Then start working heavy triples. Should look something like this.

wk1. Heavy singles for max.
warm-up 4-5 reps.
go to 165x1, 185x1, 205x1 then go by 5lb increments after that.

wk2. Speed deads
185x6 1-2minute rest in between reps. These should be done as fast as possible with the best form you can do. Take your time setting up and getting your grip then take a deep breath, pull your lats and traps tight, lower your hips and drive. Then set the weight down step back and wait a minute then repeat. Your form on rep six should still be very good if it is not then try lowering the weight a bit.

wk3. Heavy singles, try to beat wk1.

wk4. Low weight rep work. sets of 5 going no higher in weight than 165 for now.

wk5. Moderate singles. Focus on form and feeling the pull stay down at least 10% from your max in wk3.

wk6. Speed pulls, same as before.

wk7. Heavy triples. See how you are progressing on other days before calculating weight for this. You should be higher than now.
warm-up 5reps
then go 175x3
after this is where you will need to figure out how much to jump.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Something little that helped me was standing on something. weights or what ever but get yourself higher so the pull is further, then go through your regular routine. I know this sounds goofy but you'll be amzed what you can do when you put your feet back on the ground after a while.

Top Bottom