Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training for BJJ

rgosit

I'm planing on being ina bjj tourney april 20th..

I will be training bjj tues-thurs-sat-sun
lifting mon-tues-thurs-fri

what kind off conditioning work should i throw in..

i was looking to condition mon-wed and friday
shoudl i do sprints and explosive work??
let me kno..

also should i do pushup workouts 3X a week along with weight training??

This is what works for me...

I live near a pretty big stadium, so I do bleachers a lot.

A shit load of shooting drills

All my lifts are core lifts and olympic from the floor

This is weird, but a couple buddies and I freestyle in a shallow pool. Obviously we only work on stand up and stand up grappling. Its hard to apply a lot of techniques when you're wet. Its tough and we're all usually thrashed when we're done.

hours of focus drills

mat work, a lot of it

Sitting in a hot tub while my girlfriend gives me a sick back massage:D ...the most intregal part of my conditioning:D

i actually wokr at a pool witha hot tub..

my lifting i had always been doing power cleans but i dont do them ive been dead lifting..

im mostly core
deadlift,squat,bench,pull ups etc

looking for some conditionning work.

should i just run 3 miles or soemhting??

thanx

I always thought of running as too redundant. Since fighting(especially jj) is intermitant I would run hardcore cross country with sprints thrown in. I've seen dudes that run half-marathons get completely spent after ten minutes on the mat. Be creative, play tag with a bat:). That'll keep you going.

Your tourney is April 20th? You just started training not too long ago right?

correct ..i will be in a nofvice devision though..

ok sounds like the workouts we do for wresling.. running sprinting hills plyos up steps switching the pace/. but never resting..

thaibox whats ur take on pushups?

What are the round lengths in sport juijutsu? At this point you may want to drop weight trainning and other general conditioning exercises to avoid overtrainning. Focus on your endurance and technical weaknesses. Grapple two or three minute rounds with a fresh opponent coming in at the conclusion of each round. Try to get guys who use different fight strategies. Keep repeating until you feel like you are going to puke. Six weeks of that should give you the endurance you need, maintain your strength, and allow you to work on any weak spots.

Thats cool that you're getting hard core so fast bro, it shows dedication. I'm sure you'll whoop ass.

I know guys that do push-ups and other bodyweight things(dips, pull-ups, etc) as the staple of their training, but it just isnt my thing is guess. But, I suppose if you're training to fight on the ground, push-ups will help. Rickson Gracie has a pretty cool auto-bio movie out. It shows him prepping for a fight. Its pretty interesting the way he approaches his training. Pretty unique.

yea well i want to take my oppertunities to compete..
im not gonna drop weight training..

1 3 minute round

This is similar to what I do when preparing for a fight or grappling tourney. I lay off weights and hit bodyweight exercises http://www.webfects.com/hea/routine.htm#

Sounds like your first BJJ Comp. Do NOT pull guard, this is the biggest mistake beginners make. Most Beginners (WhiteBelt/New Blues)) matches are 4-6 min, jumping guar gives someone a couple minutes to pass your newbie guard and they will.

Position before submission, apply this to your matches
Good luck

Top Bottom