Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Just how strong was Mike Tyson? Check this out.

biteme said:
I believe that it's very possible. As I just remembered, I benched 235 as a freshmen while I was still 14. 250x10 projects to be a bench of about 310. The guy was built like a gorilla and the others kids teased him, calling him, "Mighty Joe Young." A gorilla from some disney movie that I never saw.

You benched 235 the very first time you tried it?

That's total BS. 250 x 10 at age 13. The first time he ever benched. You guys are gullible as fuck.

I cant remember a specific name, but one guy who boxed or sparred against Tyson got asked what it was like to be hit by him. He said that it felt like someone putting a phone book against your head and hitting it with a baseball bat.

A pre-prison Tyson with Cus D'Amoto would have made short work of virtually every other boxing great in history, even in their primes. I believe that a peak Muhammad Ali or peak George Foreman are possibly the only two I believe could have hung with a peak Tyson. 70's Foreman vs. 80's Tyson would have been a slugfest for the ages.

Ali/Tyson probably wouldnt have happened b/c Mike would probably have knocked him out bare knuckle at the press conference for talking shit or something. If the fight actually took place, he likely would have used the same game plan he used against Foreman. This might work for a while, but you also need to factor in that Tyson was as strong or stronger than Foreman and alot faster. He could chase Ali alot easier and his movement would be superior to Foremans, meaning Ali would hit Tyson with less shots than Foreman. I'd say Tyson by knockout sometime between rounds 1-7. Perhaps the ref would stop the fight if Tyson trapped Ali and began punishing him. I just dont see a peak Ali having the power to knock Tyson out before Mike could get to him. Tysons chin is better. The final kicker is that peak Mike Tyson had absolutely no fear, unlike the slightly insecure Mike of today dulled somewhat by both age and anti-psychotic/anti-anxiety drugs.

And while many will point out that Tyson has lost several times, examine his only losses:

1. Buster Douglas - people seem to think that BD whupped Tyson's ass, but remember that Buster Douglas beat finally beat Tyson in the 10th with a lucky flurry after Tyson had knocked him down for a LONG 9 count. Buster Douglas had just lost a loved one before the fight (his mom) and put on the performance of his life after dedicating the match to her. Any other night, I say Tyson turns him into mincemeat.

2. Tyson/Holyfield 1 - Holyfield did win this matchup, but it took ELEVEN rounds and he didnt even win by KO.

3. Tyson/Holyfield 2 (DQ) - After 2 rounds in which a notoriusly dirty Holyfield had headbutted and fouled Mike Tyson and Holyfield's personal friend, Mills Lane, did nothing to stop it, Mike snapped and did what many would do: he fouled back. However, he did it in a much more severe way than most would, hence the controversy. Mike, believe it or not, has historically been a fairly clean fighter with the exception of sliding the occasional forearm up to push taller fighters. (You dont need to fight dirty when you have power like his)

4. Tyson/Lewis 1 - An aging, heavily drugged Tyson still managed to win one round and virtually draw the next 3 before it became the Lennox Lewis show. It still took him 4 more rounds and repeatedly hitting Tyson as hard as possible to finally bring him down.

5. Tyson/Williams - Further proof of Tyson's power but also his diminishing skills. He almost knocked Danny Williams out in the very first round, but he held on and used better combos than Tyson. It took 3 more rounds and a string of 22 unanswered punches by a 265lb man to finally put Tyson down.

Tyson was never knocked down with one power punch (unlike Lennox & others). He perhaps has the best chin ever, although any fighter will tell you that part of having a good chin is possessing heart/mental strength. The fact that he was 5'11" also means Tyson was shorter than many opponents, forcing them to punch down at him. This doesnt allow one to generate maximal power and means that a portion of all punches thrown at Mike hit him in the forehead or top of the head (one of the strongest bone areas of the body). His monster traps absorbed some of the impacts as well. Factor in his mental issues and you have someone who almost refuses to go down.

The Mike Tyson of the current is an aging fighter beginning to lose both his foot speed and motivation. However, as Foreman proved, the last thing to go is punching power. His managers made a bad choice of opponent for his latest fight (the dude was 6'5", 265), but they needed someone slightly credible and the guy had a solid record. Mike will likely fight again b/c he owes millions in debt.

Tyson is now 50-5 (with 44 KOs & 2 no-contests)
Of the 5 losses, 1 was potentially due to an injury, 1 was a DQ, 2 were close fights, and 1 (Lewis) was a mismatch that would have been a 2nd round Tyson KO if they were both 10 yrs younger.
(One of the no contests was a win changed to NC b/c Tyson failed a drug test for weed)
(22 of the 44 KOs were in the first round)

Imagine what his record would be without the jail sentence, 1 year ban, and long lulls between fights due to disputes with Don King... or if Cus d'Amoto would have stayed alive. Tyson could easily have ended up with a record like 80-3 or something similar.

He was undisputed/unified world champion, he beat Larry Holmes, Razor Ruddick twice, beat a previously undefeated Michael Spinks (*who had never even been knocked down*) in under 90 seconds, beat Frans Botha, Andrew Golota, and was the youngest heavyweight champ ever at 20. Anyone who doesnt consider him the greatest boxer ever (or at least in the top 3) is a fool.

Tyson was indeed 5'8" or so and around 200lbs at 13. Many people could be nearly full-grown at that age. He ended up 5'11". As a troubled youth that had probably used weights, 250x10 at 13 or 14 could have been very possible for someone genetically gifted. I broke 200lbs as a freshman and I went to high school with a kid I personally watched throw up 225x10 as a freshman. That works out to a 300lb pred. max. Kid was a white dude, about 5'8", 210-220 at the time. His sister also put up 185 as a 5'5", 105lb senior. She was not mannish at all, just had great form and lifted right.

For his entire amateur & pro career, which has spanned over 20 years, Tyson has competed between 200-235lbs. As a pro, mostly at 215-235, his weight fluctuating due to workouts/eating. While he was in jail, he got up to 265, but lost the weight when he could work out again.

no one's here to say it's impossible. that's just not how it works.

hard to believe, yes. i think anyone should find it hard to believe, regardless
of who you know, and what you've seen. still, it's possible. "anything's possible."

but what is there to recommend it? that biteme heard or read it somewhere?
that mike tyson was a really strong dude, or a "phenom"?

and let's be clear here. not only did he bench 250, but he did it for 10 reps,
at the age of 13, and he did it the first time he ever tried benching (or so the
first post suggests).

matching those 4 criteria against your own personal experiences will be difficult.

but, hey...anything's possible.

I totally believe Mike could do that at that age. Look at his build and punching power and put 2+2 together.

Another reason I believe is I have seen more impressive shit. What you ask?

How about this. Sophomore year in high school. Tongan guy, 17 years old, 5'10", 'bout 275lbs if I remember right, built like a brick shit house.

First time he actually decided to test himself with weights I saw it. As far as I know he would do a few sets of benches and squats once or twice a week and that's it. Kinda reminds of Bill Kazmier before he got serious about lifting. Down in the high school weight room several guy's goded him into lifting weights to see how strong he was because he looked UBER strong. Squats 315 for 5 reps. Ok, not heavy enough. 405 for 5 reps. Ok, not heavy enough. 500 for 5 reps, "ok, that's heavy enough, I don't want to push it too hard. I don't like getting sore." It looked like nothing when he did it.

Then he moves onto the bench. 315 for 10. Ok, then 405 for like 10 reps if I remember and not to failure. He quit early becasue he didn't like the burning feeling. It looked moderately hard.

The coaches practically begged the guy to play football and lift weights on a consistent basis, but the guy had absolutely no desire or motivation at all. He just liked to sit around the house and eat. Probably weighs 400lbs of still super strong fatness, but if he had lifted like a savage I have no doubt he would be stronger than any of the strongest man competitors you see today. Talk about a waste.

Strongest person I ever met, at 17 years old.

HumanTarget said:
he shoulda never fired Kevin Rooney.
Exactly. Rooney helped him inside the ring & out. The people Tyson surrounded himself with have been one of his main problems. Still, he has a lot of problems.

I have a cousin who lifts maybe 5-6 times per month...

5"10 - 270 about 12-14% bf year round

no cycles in 3 years

...after a 6 month layoff he comes ino thr gym and ask me to check form on deads...

pulled 635........

amazing

Top Bottom