Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone compete in MMA tourneys?

XJ220

I wanna start competing in a year or two. does anyone here compete? I was thiking about danger zone. yes no?

Never competed in MMA, but I have heard nothing but good things about the Dangerzone. Seems to be a good organization to fight for.

What is your background?

Zen

I wrestled for a while, did TKD(not sport) for a few years and I'm doing Wing Chun right now. I also train with my cousin a few days a month in the new MCMAP. I'm gonna be starting BJJ under Martin Escobar in a bit.

XJ,

There are a couple of knowledgable people on this board in regards to MMA type training (Thaibox comes to mind). He may have some training advice for you.

I am not familiar with MCMAP.

Make sure you spar. I think hitting and having been hit are the keys to being able to step into the ring.

ZEN,
MCMAP stnads for Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. Its got grappling, breaks, strikes, bla bla bla

Welcome to the wonderful world of MMA:)
I haven't dealt with DZ personally, but I am familiar with them. They aren't really out where I am. Severn seems to have done a good job with it. Now that my stamina is down and strength is up, the 2 -5 minute rounds sounds good to me. My buddy was disqualified in a DZ fight because of a head-butt, and a small one at that. It was a ridiculous call, contested by his corner and the whole crowd, and still stood.

Are you active duty, or is it your cousin thats in?

What is your fighting style? I don't mean what you train in, but what your natural instinctive comfort lies in.

Thaibox,
My cousin is active duty. He will be coming down here to do recruiting so I will be able to train with him more often(he lives in 29 palms). As for my fighting, I like to stay standing, but if I get a chance I will go for the ground n' pound. Like I said the only real ground experience I have is wrestling but that will change soon.
When it comes to kicking, I'm not as good as I used to be(my kicks seemed to be as fast as my puches), but I'm getting better. I'm not skilled enough to pull off high kicks so I'm gonna stick to my Wing Chun kicks. But my preference is working with my hands.:D

I like to see more strikers coming into this sport. I always made it a goal to end fights with strikes.

You said you wanted to start in a year or two. Two years of hard training in BJJ is enough to develop a solid defensive foundation on the ground. Just don't let your stand-up fall to the waistside. Keep your strengths active and develop them. Become a confident ground fighter, but don't forget that your weapon is striking. Are you a big dude? height/weight?

I just noticed that you lived in AZ, why don't you start off with King of the Cage to get started in NHB?

yeah I'm in tucson. I'm like 5'10"-11" or some shit like that. I weigh 197lbs. I'll look into the Rage in the Cage thing. I get in about 20hours a week of Wing Chun:D

Thaibox,
how would I go about getting in King of the Cage? Do they have amateur fights? Is it in PHX?

Top Bottom