Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

WSB: watch my Weights Skyrocket, Bitches!

Fuck man. This is getting me psychedout to try and train westside. Your numbers are pretty damn impressive too. I really love raw lifters. I just might have to try westside training. I have an extensive document on my computer about it (in fact, you might have been the one to email it to me LoL).

I agree, I love the name of the thread hahaha.

I used to make the mistake of thinking the goal was to move the bar ballistically, like a jackass, injuring your rotator cuff. This doesn't work so well long-term for big numbers.

I think instead of 24 benches in perfect fluidity. With rests every 3 for breath and so form is not compromised. You see, it's a different mentality, and VERY integral to putting up stunning numbers. Very cool.

majutsu said:
I used to make the mistake of thinking the goal was to move the bar ballistically, like a jackass, injuring your rotator cuff. This doesn't work so well long-term for big numbers.

I think instead of 24 benches in perfect fluidity. With rests every 3 for breath and so form is not compromised. You see, it's a different mentality, and VERY integral to putting up stunning numbers. Very cool.

I have always thought of DE work as explosive, not fluid. But I guess one can lift explosively fluid?? I have DE work this morning so I'll try it out.

RipStone said:
I have always thought of DE work as explosive, not fluid. But I guess one can lift explosively fluid?? I have DE work this morning so I'll try it out.
I think he means fast but not jerky - like the way Pendlay rows are described. It's a smooth acceleration; you don't yank the bar off the ground but you make a point of moving it quickly.

QUESTION: How should I do speed deads? I've seen people do 8 singles but it's usually after they've box squatted. WHat % of 1rm would be a decent place to start? I don't have an adequate box for now, so I plan to use these for four weeks then sub in box squats. Thanks!

Last edited:
Week 1 -- FRIDAY -- DE Squat/DL

Speed box squat
warmups
8 doubles w/225, ~1 minute rest b/t sets

-I found a bench that puts me at almost exactly parallel (and I mean REAL parallei - top of hip even w/ knee) so I went ahead and did these. Probably not tons of help for my Oly squat but really I think my dead is my worst offender at this point. Kinda awkward really - sitting back is new, the ultrawide stance is new, and I felt like I was barely moving at all. I'm not sure just how fast these were supposed to feel, but they were smooth and controlled. A few more sessions and I'm sure I'll love 'em.

Speed deads
warmup w/ 225
4 singles w/ 285, ~45 seconds between each

-Pretty easy, but fun.

RDL
warmups
225x8, 275x8, 315x8

-I was surprised at how easy these were - I honestly think I coulda done 365 for 8. But I gotta keep workload in check. I aim to ramp my RE stuff for four weeks a la 5x5, then deload everything at week 5 (I plan to rotate ME's every two weeks and mini-ramp 'em). I got the bar below my knees too. I really like these a lot now that I've done them a couple times.

Pullups
bwx6x2

Hammer curls
55'sx8x2

Ab work
I just layed back on the decline situp bench below parallel and held it til it hurt. EDIT: twice

An interesting day. I'm a little dissapointed in the speed box squats b/c they were so damn easy but yet didn't feel all that fast. Like I said, I'll probably love 'em once I get the feel for 'em

Hahaha I feel your pain, my brother. It will all gel. You will do other workouts, you will read zatsiorsky, you will westside again, you will hit bigger numbers, you will understand. It's actually a cult, not a routine :devil:

i was wondering why you weren't updating your log you fucking beast.. YOU MADE A NEW ONE.. anyhow good lifts.. after i get married i'm gonna be hitting up the sauce. hopefully ill be close to as strong as some of your lifts.. your squats are just fucking amazing.. :) dont think ill ever catch you there .. unless i get leg transplants..

Majutsu-
I could see myself sticking to this methodology for a while. Singles on Mon/Weds were a fucking blast. I imagine that I'll only like this more once I feel confident with the DE stuff.

I'm gonna ponder some mid-range goals - a 1500 raw total involving ATF Oly squats sounds awesome, but that may be a ways out. Maybe 495 - 390 - 515 is doable by late spring/early summer. Let's see, that comes to (carry the one...) 1400 even. Hmmm.....

Top Bottom