Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Miked8c's log: 300 and Beyond

Notes:

1.) For Bench Press, start next week @ 245x3 and then move upwards. Remember: you can repeat sets as well.

2.) Dumbbell Row progression...here is something I did which might help you

Week 1: 120 x 5 reps x 3 sets
Week 2: 120 x 6 reps x 4 sets << double progression
Week 3: 120x7, 120x9, 120x11, 120x13, 120x3 << double progression
Week 4: 120x15x2 <<-- deload but increased density

this is just an idea

3.) CGBP: try for 3 sets of 4-5 reps with 215 next time and we'll use that as a base

4.) Cable Rows: start light and then add weight. But this isn't supposed to be too structured.

Lets say you took 120 and did 8 reps for 3 sets, ok? Then, you have the freedom of taking 130 lbs and doing 8 reps to failure on the last set. Then, the following week, try to make the last 2 sets with 130 lbs and the first two with 120. Then increase the reps on the 120 on the following week and if you are up to it, on the fourth week, try to do 130 lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets AFTER doing the first set with 120 lbs. See...the average weight is going up and so are the reps and the workload. Everything is gradually improving.

5.) For facepulls do 2 sets next time. 20 reps is fine. But do 2 sets.

Good job..it's not a waste of a workout at all, man!

Ok so the bench press is really the only part messing with me. I told you I'm used to having to get a certain weight, or reach a certain goal in my workouts. What is my goal for the QVT on my bench? To keep progressing towards 300 in weight until I feel I can no longer perform a solid rep? Like why would I want to repeat a weight for 2 sets?

You want me to be able to handle weight close to my 1RM with quality and good form. However, how I am under the impression that i keep moving up in weight until I can no longer perform a clean rep and I stop the progress once I know it will be a problem. So I do not understand why I would be repeating a weight twice..

Excuse my thick skull.

Week 1: Thursday

Lower 2

Overhead Squats
95x4
115x3
120x2
115x2
110x5
110x3
95x5

I realize how sporadic these weights were but I was just trying to find a good weight to work with for reps, these were different from any exercise I have ever done. I was suprised at how little weight I could do, I definitely think next week will be more promising for these. So 115 was a solid weight that i could get 3 quality reps for, how should I proceed?

Front Squats
185x5
205x3
225x2
245x1

I really killed my legs on the overheads just from stabilizing the weight so these were a little tough. By the way Anadalite, deadlifts before front squats definitely help.

Back Squats
225x5
295x3
315x2
325x1

Andy, why am I doing back squats, the exercise that utilizes the most muscles and most weight last? Its almost like you went in reverse giving me the lightest exercise first and the heaviest last. My legs were obliterated before I even started these so my weight was weak.

I would love to know the method to your madness because I am sure their is one so let me know..

I realize how sporadic these weights were but I was just trying to find a good weight to work with for reps, these were different from any exercise I have ever done. I was suprised at how little weight I could do, I definitely think next week will be more promising for these. So 115 was a solid weight that i could get 3 quality reps for, how should I proceed?

Thats good. So next week, try to do 2 sets of 2 reps with 115. Make these count. Remember to pull the bar apart on these. If you do them correctly, you shouldn't have any issues with leg soreness...hip soreness yes but not leg soreness.

By the way Anadalite, deadlifts before front squats definitely help.

Yup. Indeed they do. Most people don't realize this....

why am I doing back squats, the exercise that utilizes the most muscles and most weight last?

Simple really. You do the most technique driven exercise first and leave the exercise for the most brute strength to the end.

For example: OH Squats = ALL technique

Front Squats = More technique than back squats

Back Squats = Least technique driven compared to the other two.

It's only difficult because this is your first time. As you build up your tolerance towards this you'll be surprised at how the first two exercises REALLY drive the last one.

When I was training like this a few weeks ago, I hit a PR on all 3 exercises...and each PR drove the next PR. Give it some time. Get used to the heavy weight. Wait till your legs are sore tomorrow :D

What is my goal for the QVT on my bench?

To keep progressing towards 300 using quality reps.

Like why would I want to repeat a weight for 2 sets?

Good question.

Say you do 265x1. After that 1 rep, you are on the bench and you have the weight in your hands and you know that the 2nd rep is going to be ugly. What do you do? You rack the bar, rest for 5 minutes, come back and do 1 rep, think its ok, do rep 2. So you essentially did:
265x1
265x2
Then, you take 275 and do 1 because you know it will be solid.

Sometimes you could repeat the weight just to get better workload in.

Like...for Deadlifts I knew that 465 would not be as awesome as 455. So I did 2 sets of 3 reps with 455 to really hone in my technique. Took 465 and smoked it.

Make sense now?

To keep progressing towards 300 using quality reps.

Good question.

Say you do 265x1. After that 1 rep, you are on the bench and you have the weight in your hands and you know that the 2nd rep is going to be ugly. What do you do? You rack the bar, rest for 5 minutes, come back and do 1 rep, think its ok, do rep 2. So you essentially did:
265x1
265x2
Then, you take 275 and do 1 because you know it will be solid.

Sometimes you could repeat the weight just to get better workload in.

Like...for Deadlifts I knew that 465 would not be as awesome as 455. So I did 2 sets of 3 reps with 455 to really hone in my technique. Took 465 and smoked it.

Make sense now?

Haha no I'm more confused then before. I feel like what your telling me, correct me if I am wrong, is instead of being fatigued from doing more reps these extra reps are preparing me for my next set for higher weight. Like how come doing two sets of 455 wouldnt tire you out for 465? Wouldnt you be better off just going straight to 465 and saving energy?

Also, If I thought my second rep of 265 would be difficult the first time why would it be any easier the second time around? I feel like since I already did a rep of 265 I would have fatigued myself for a second set of two whereas instead of could I have been better off doing 2 reps the first time.

1x265 2x265 the first time
2x265 worn out from this^^ vs.

I have never tried it though, are you saying that since I did a set of 265 for 1 the second set of 265 for 2 would be easier cause my body is used to the weight?

It looks like I am making mountains out of molehills but I really want to get this down. When I try to hit heavy weight I try to warm up as little as possible so I can save energy, am I wrong?

You will get this down when you actually DO it. Don't bother trying to mentally grasp it. Learn to listen to you body.

Try it out next time with the same numbers. Let's see what happens.

Upper 2: Saturday

Worked out at 8 this morning, this way I could do it before lifeguarding because after being in the sun all day I am way to drained to be lifting. This went suprisingly well

Overhead Press
135x5
145x5
145x5
145x5
145x5
Great baseline to work off of next week.

Weighted Pull Ups: going for heavy singles, doubles and triples. Target reps= 20
35x3
35x3
35x3
35x3
35x3
45x2
45x2
45x1

Should have tried more weight on these, also by pulls-ups you mean using an overhand grip on the bar, correct?

Unilateral Press

60x7
60x6
60x6

These were heavy for me but they felt awesome, I have never heard of them until I checked Andalite's log for a video of him doing them. They are just an alternate shoulder press with dumbells.

BW pull-ups

I was gassed by the time I got to these

Great workout for having done it in the morning, can not wait for deadlifts in a few days.

Andalite give all the critiqung you have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom