Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

box squats??

skydancer

These were shown to me yesterday....basically squatting down onto a bench, actually resting your weight on the bench then standing up. Is this right? It was also suggested to actually push your stomach out (instead of holding it firm as normal). This felt sooo strange. But does tensing/pushing your abs out do the same as holding them firm? Or is this a whacked out idea??

IMO, you naturally push your stomach out when doing squats...especially if you're doing them with a heavy weight. As far as box squats go, I think they're a waste of time. I mean if you wanna only go till your quads are parallel with the ground, do so without the bench.

Thanks MK - abs of course move some during heavy squats. But actually pushing them out so your whole stomach sticks out feels weird. The minute I move they automatically go in. LOL! I understand what you mean by going parallel. The interesting thing with the box squats is the shift of the weight. Its a very different feeling to actually sit down and then stand back up with weight across your shoulders.

Variety is the spice o' life I suppose. I just wondered if anyone else had done them or liked them.

Nice way to compress your disks, box squats are garbage from a BBing aspect, they do have a place among powerlifter when training but too easy to mess yourself up.

IG

Supposedly it also hurts your knees like all getout if you already have such problems. I don't know if it actually causes knee problems, but removing the strain totally and then retensioning the knees is baaaad news for us arthritic types!

My orthopaedic doc lifts at my club and went ape when she saw me get up off an incline bench holding a loaded bar. It was less than 250, but she says that the strain is too concentrated for me when my knee is flexed more than about 60 degees. Seeing as my knees always hurt worse and swell slightly the few days following legs and glutes, I believe her.

I still squat, but not to 90 degrees. LOL, I would probably fall on the floor if I went that low now days, even with a bench to stop me.

Of course, you youngsters can still parallel squat all that iron without too much problem....For now anyway....

BE

Top Bottom