Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Any NY Football Giants fans going to London?

HumanTarget said:
the Pats could be the best team EVER. the Giants will be lucky to win 2 of the next 6.....

they won't need it. they are playing the dolphins, cowturds, lions, vikings, bears, and e-girls for the next 6.

the Ravens have allowed 119. 12 teams have allowed less. unless defense means something other than points allowed.....

MichaelScott said:
why would they play in london? that is geigh
NFL in London: Will Europe embrace 'real' football?

Posted Oct 19th 2007 3:36PM by Tom Barlow
Filed under: Business of sports
As American major league sports approach the saturation point in the U.S. market, they are increasingly looking overseas for growth opportunities. Since basketball has been embraced in countries as diverse as Slovakia, China and Brazil, the NBA is clearly leading the pack in this effort. Next week, however, as reported by The Wall Street Journal (subscription), the National Football League will attempt once again to find cleated footing in the European market for American-style football.

The patsies for this effort will be the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants, who will face off in London on Sunday the 28th. Neither team, I'm sure, is eager to interrupt its mid-season routine in this way (although the Dolphins, winless to date, might appreciate having an ocean between themselves and their irate fans). This represents a new initiative for the league, which has tried to promote the NFL in Europe with exhibition games, which didn't work, and by establishing a minor-league NFL with franchises in major European cities. The league announced this week that it was folding this NFL Europa after 15 years.

League commissioner Roger Goodell made the absurd statement recently that they are "looking at" holding a Super Bowl in London, which makes me wonder if he's had his bell rung a few too many times. Basketball thrives internationally, I believe, because it does not require much equipment and does not directly compete with already entrenched, similar sports. It is also a sport that, even played badly (that's me), can be enjoyable. Football, on the other hand, required a tremendous amount of equipment, special facilities, and isn't much fun for the schmucks (I speak from experience) who block and tackle.

Europe already has football-- a type that allows everyone to play, that requires everyone to run and get fit rather than pork up, and has a history much older than Red Grange. I doubt the NFL will have any more luck converting them to our game than Major League Soccer has had establishing its sport in the U.S.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119274900567464131.html?mod=hps_us_editors_picks

Top Bottom