Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Yankees are THE luckiest team in the world!!!

natedogg03 said:
KillahBee, you do bring up some good points. Boston can have higher ticket prices because there are less seats. Yes, they sell out so they can raise prices until you reach an equilibrium. This does not generate nearly as much revenue as stations like NESN or YES. And you said it yourself that Boston doesn't have as many luxury suits which means less revenue. So Boston is at a disadvantage, and the Yankees are a good team because their owner will shell out money for the best players in the league. If you think the yankees are good just because they are the yankees, and not because they spend double triple the amount of other teams......you don't understand sports.

I think that it is a combination of all those factors- available money and the willingness to spend it, great management, and good timely hitting, pitching. I do think that the Yankees have an advatnage ON PAPER over the Twins and A's b/c of market size and payroll difference. However, I cannot believe that the Yankees have that much of an advantage over the Boston Red Sox.

66 mil more is a pretty good advantage in my mind. Just wondering what area in the sports industry you work in? I'll be recieving my MBA in sport managment this spring, and hopefully finding a career out there.

natedogg03 said:
If you think the yankees are good just because they are the yankees, and not because they spend double triple the amount of other teams......you don't understand sports.

I stated this in another thread...but if you think you can BUY a team then YOU don't understand sports. Yes...you can buy PLAYERS...but you can't buy TEAMWORK. Just ask the Rangers a few years ago...went out and bought everyone they could, and finished at the bottom of the pile.

BTW...the Yankees had a high payroll back in the late 80's when they really did SUCK.

Hannibal said:

I stated this in another thread...but if you think you can BUY a team then YOU don't understand sports. Yes...you can buy PLAYERS...but you can't buy TEAMWORK. Just ask the Rangers a few years ago...went out and bought everyone they could, and finished at the bottom of the pile.

BTW...the Yankees had a high payroll back in the late 80's when they really did SUCK.

Wow, where did you go?

No one is discrediting the fact that the Yankees have made great moves and have great chemistry....but... if you don't think that having 65 million extra dollars to throw at marginal players like Contreras and Matsui (A fine hitter, but no Godzilla) on the hopes they are the incredible talents you doesn't help them dominate the competition then you simply have blinders on to the facts.

I mean... some of the financial moves the Yankees make would spell disaster for small market teams. The margin of error in Yankee management is huge. The margin for a team like the A's or Royals is miniscule.

The_Eviscerator said:
I mean... some of the financial moves the Yankees make would spell disaster for small market teams. The margin of error in Yankee management is huge. The margin for a team like the A's or Royals is miniscule.

I completely agree with that...but I think saying that they BOUGHT another Championsip is false.

If you look at the lineup that Torre went with in Game 7...there are only 2 players that I would consider HIRED GUNS....Matsui and Giambi. The rest came up through the system, or are players that have bounced around from team to team...like Garcia and Wilson.

Like you said Matsui is solid..but I wouldn't consider him anything really special. And Giambi is a superstar...but personally I would have rather seen them sign Tino (who on paper isnt as good) for another season.

Top Bottom