Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Yankees are THE luckiest team in the world!!!

The_Eviscerator said:
Well, one thing is for certain... with the Cubs and the Redsox out of it... baseball seaon is over for me. I couldn't care less who wins out of these teams. I guess I would like to see the bought and paid for Yankees go down in flames, but who really gives a shit... the most interesting matchup is no longer on the table.

If the Yankees win... it really is no big accomplishment. When one team has the atom bomb and everyone else is competing with slingshots, does it really mean anything? If there were a salary cap and every team had a fair shot like in the NFL, their championships would mean something.

here we go! out comes the $ arguement. Jeter, Pettitte, Rivera, Bernie- do they count?? And secondly, management for the Red Sox have nearly equal opportunity to generate similar revenue as the Yankees (top market, they own the team, the stadium, and the cable network). They have the highest average ticket price in MLB!! Don't blame the Yanks for good management and an owner's philosophy that he is in it to win.

KillahBee said:

here we go! out comes the $ arguement. Jeter, Pettitte, Rivera, Bernie- do they count?? And secondly, management for the Red Sox have nearly equal opportunity to generate similar revenue as the Yankees (top market, they own the team, the stadium, and the cable network). They have the highest average ticket price in MLB!! Don't blame the Yanks for good management and an owner's philosophy that he is in it to win.

There is no doubt that the Yankees have good management, but this also includes more scouts to find players like Jeter, Williams, Pettite etc... More money means you can pay an exorbitant payroll once you cultivate your talent. Case in point:

The Pittsburgh Pirates: Here is a list of players that were with the Pirates and left due to lack of funds:
Roberto Colon
Estaban Loaiza
Jason Schmidt
Barry Bonds
Brian Giles
Kenny Lofton
Jose Guillen
and the list goes on... A very similar list can be generated for teams like the Expos. Most teams in the MLB have 3 years to win before the price of keeping the team sinks the franchise... The Yankees don't have that problem. SO... it is clearly a money issue and it devalues their championships. You can say whatever you want. Boston is maybe one of the only teams that can compete with them on that level... and that is sad for baseball.

The_Eviscerator said:

There is no doubt that the Yankees have good management, but this also includes more scouts to find players like Jeter, Williams, Pettite etc... More money means you can pay an exorbitant payroll once you cultivate your talent. Case in point:

The Pittsburgh Pirates: Here is a list of players that were with the Pirates and left due to lack of funds:
Roberto Colon
Estaban Loaiza
Jason Schmidt
Barry Bonds
Brian Giles
Kenny Lofton
Jose Guillen
and the list goes on... A very similar list can be generated for teams like the Expos. Most teams in the MLB have 3 years to win before the price of keeping the team sinks the franchise... The Yankees don't have that problem. SO... it is clearly a money issue and it devalues their championships. You can say whatever you want. Boston is maybe one of the only teams that can compete with them on that level... and that is sad for baseball.

first off your list is bullshit- you do not know for a fact that all those players left for lack of funds. shit,the yankees had Prior at one point and let him go, not for lack of funds.

and second, how do you explain the Mets? My point is this, yes, the Yanks do have the ability to generate revenue easier than most teams in MLB. However, any person that has any knowledge of sports and/or has ever been a serious athlete on a team knows that you cannot consistently win by merely buying all the best players. There is a lot more to baseball than that. The whole payroll arguement does no justice and completely discredits all other aspects of winning a championship (i.e. the players actually playing well, synergy among the team, managing players and managing the game, scouting, and gameplanning).

KillahBee, your wrong. If you knew anything about business in sport you would know that the Red Sox have the highest ticket price because they have the fewest number of seats in any ballpark. Simple supply and demand. Second of all ticket prices DO NOT determine players' salaries. Sponserships and and box seats are the biggest money makers for every pro team. Fenway can not put in any box seats there is no room, so the red sox do not have the oppurtunity to make as much money. The yankees payroll for this is year is $180,322,403. Boston is 5th with 104,873,607 (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0721/1583823.html)
The money argument is very real. They buy championships...... period. Why aren't you a mets fan?

KillahBee said:

The whole payroll arguement does no justice and completely discredits all other aspects of winning a championship.

Uhhhh... whatever... I wonder how the Yanks would do with a 65 million dollar payroll. How much more synergy and shrewed management would they need?..lol :lmao:

This says it all right here. In my opinion Minnesota and Oakland are two of the best franchises in baseball for somehow being competitive while spending in the lower tier. Of course, once Torrii Hunter's contract is up... I am sure the Yankees will lure him away just like they did with Giambi.

New York Yankees $180,322,403
New York Mets 116,253,927
Los Angeles 109,248,680
Texas 106,277,880
Boston 104,873,607

Atlanta 103,912,011
St. Louis 101,825,848
San Francisco 100,061,211
Philadelphia 95,338,704 Arizona 92,665,040

Seattle 92,268,063
Chicago Cubs 86,576,763
Anaheim 83,235,098
Houston 79,946,964
Colorado 78,738,492

Baltimore 75,502,154
Chicago White Sox 71,336,029
Minnesota 65,318,977
Cincinnati 65,083,196
Florida 63,281,152

Pittsburgh 62,314,723
Toronto 61,175,638
Detroit 59,006,941
Cleveland 58,108,824
San Diego 57,871,722

Oakland 56,596,691
Kansas City 48,475,322
Milwaukee 47,294,226
Montreal 45,853,889
Tampa Bay 31,660,602

natedogg03 said:
KillahBee, your wrong. If you knew anything about business in sport you would know that the Red Sox have the highest ticket price because they have the fewest number of seats in any ballpark. Simple supply and demand. Second of all ticket prices DO NOT determine players' salaries. Sponserships and and box seats are the biggest money makers for every pro team. Fenway can not put in any box seats there is no room, so the red sox do not have the oppurtunity to make as much money. The yankees payroll for this is year is $180,322,403. Boston is 5th with 104,873,607 (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0721/1583823.html)
The money argument is very real. They buy championships...... period. Why aren't you a mets fan?

First off I know a lot about the sports industry- it is the business I work in. The Sox do not have the highest ticket price b/c they have the least seats- those seats are continuously filled. Based on average attendance the Sox have one of the best ballparks. And while sponsorships and club seats/luxury boxes are big revenue generators, the biggest money maker of all is owning a media outlet,which the BoSox owners do (NESN). The relationship between player salaries and ticket prices is simple: the higher the payroll expense is, the greater the need for additional revenue is, thus raising ticket prices, concession prices, and increasing sponsorships. Payroll accounts for somewhere between 62-68% of revenue for major league sports. Do you really believe that the Yankees are simply blessed with the additional 75 million dollars in revenue? And that the Sox simply cannot generate that additional 75 mil? Or is it a case of the Yankees managing their finances a little better combined with the fact that they have an egomaniac for an owner that is willing to pump all his earnings back into his product in order to have a superior product?? and the Sox do have club seats, but no luxury boxes. As far as amenities, Yankee Stadium is ranked at the bottom of the MLB list of stadiums.

Last edited:
And as far as salary cap goes- I guess you have no problem with violating antitrust laws in this country. How would you like it if the government told you that a person with your position in your industry could not make any more than $30,000 a year? Contrary to popular belief, sports is a business. Plain and simple.
However, from an objective point of view, yes I do think MLB needs a salary cap, even though it violates antitrust laws. It has worked for the NFL and that league has had no labor disputes for a long time. However, my problem is that MLB cannot regulate how owners choose to spend their money. Believe it or not there are owners that have that extra revenue that thay could be putting back into their product, but choose not to. Until that is regulated, there will still be problems. Either way, if you truly believe that the Yankees beat the Red Sox because of their payroll then you do not understand sports.

The_Eviscerator said:

Of course, once Torrii Hunter's contract is up... I am sure the Yankees will lure him away just like they did with Giambi.

so what do you have to say about Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon, and paying Pedro 17 million next year when he has never gotten his team to the World Series??????

KillahBee, you do bring up some good points. Boston can have higher ticket prices because there are less seats. Yes, they sell out so they can raise prices until you reach an equilibrium. This does not generate nearly as much revenue as stations like NESN or YES. And you said it yourself that Boston doesn't have as many luxury suits which means less revenue. So Boston is at a disadvantage, and the Yankees are a good team because their owner will shell out money for the best players in the league. If you think the yankees are good just because they are the yankees, and not because they spend double triple the amount of other teams......you don't understand sports.

Top Bottom