Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Predator Diet

I can see some merit to your argument.

I just want to point a couple of things out:

First of all, the majority of Masai no longer adhere to the strict diet of blood, milk and meat. They consume a lot of "western" processed foods like breads and so on. What affect this has had on their life expectancy and health is not yet known.

As it relates to genetics--how we were "intended" to eat can be inferred from our basic channels of taste information. Evolutionary psychologists generally agree that the following assessments of sense and function are accurate:

Salty: For acquiring foods important for brain and muscle function. Of increased importance when injured (This makes sense due to the fact that sodium is an extremely important extracellular component)

Bitter: For identifying potentially poisonous foods. In general, most poisons have a bitter taste.

Sweet: Mother's milk is sweet, and the sweet sense is important for initiating nursing. In addition, it is important for ripened fruit acquisition (see related note below).

Sour: This sense is important for detecting unripe fruit.

*The interplay between sweet and sour seems to implicate a large importance of fruit due to the fact that 50% of our taste senses are associated with fruit.

Just thought I'd put another spin on this whole "natural foraging diet".

I'd also like to point out that our ancestors who employed a foraging subsistence pattern had the lowest number of hours of labor and the highest number of hours for leisure time. Hence, they have been coined "the original affluent society" because they had more time for leisure than every other pattern of subsistence (Horticulture, Pastoralism, Agriculture, Industrialism). So it would be inaccurate to say that they "worked" any harder than we do today; in fact they worked considerably less.

hey i kinda have a problem ? about this diet...not eating all day but just one big proteinmeal? what are u nutz? wouldnt u catobolize muscle tissue and use muscle as fuel because u are in starvation mode..correct me if im wrong but i think goinf wit food for more than 4 hours is bad...and no fat or carbs ? what diet is this ? is this a joke? someone agree..

http://musclemonthly.com/print/000801-mcdonald-body-talk.htm , this article is somewhat, although not completely relevant. It compares 4 vs. 6 meals and studies have shown no difference in weight loss, all calories and macro's equal. One interesting comparison was comparing a diet where people stopped eating 6pm vs. later, the people who stopped eating earlier in the evening (6) lost more weight, but they both lost the same amount of fat so those who stopped eating at 6 lost more muscle than those who ate later into the evening.
http://www.mercola.com/2001/dec/5/cutting_calories.htm , just an article on cutting calories and it's effect on increasing lifespan, although many arent interesting in this.
http://www.lef.org/dsnews/dsaug99.html , scroll down to "Improved Nitrogen Balance by Protein Pulse Feeding", this is an example of how protein synthesis increases when you eat a large protein meal as opposed to several small ones, like I stated in my original post. http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/haycock/protein-pulse-feeding.htm , and another site providing the same information, CHECK THIS ONE OUT.

Missyd143, The idea about needing protein every 3-4 hours is ludicrous and is a great endorsement from supplement companies to make them rich. At no time in our history would our bodies require eating protein several times a day, or our body would go into a catabolic state. If this were true then we would never have made it to where we are today, we would all have died from starvation, muscle catabolism, etc. The fact is that humans used to be overall very lean, muscular, and energetic. If you check out the last 2 links, and this months as well as lasts Ironmag magazine, you would see that even with amino acid infusion (injecting aminos right into the blood) the muscles would be anabolic for up to 2 hours then become desensitized, absorbing no more protein into the muscles, the receptors become desensitized, much like with insulin resistance. The only ways to resensitize the muscles is to do a protein fast or intense muscular contractions (lifting). The body would not sense starvation b/c it isn't meant to be constantly given foods, there's no doubt detoxification and fasting are healthy and allow the body to clean itself out, ridding itself of toxins, dead cells, bodyfat, etc. I never said no fat or carbs, I suggested what most others suggest for fat loss, low carbs, up to 50g per day with an optional carb load every 3rd and forth day, in terms of fat fats should come from lean protein, nuts if desired, and fish oils and olive oil if desired. I meant low fat as in low animal fat, while supplementing with EFA's. I know this sounds radical but before you truly judge it, you should give it a fair chance. It's radically different from whats normally recommended, but it makes sense and it works, it may not for everyone, but it's an alternative for those who struggle to lean out.
N-10-City, you have a lot of great points and you obviously know what your talking about. You are correct about the Masai's diet, it has changed, but the research done on them and their excellent health was conducted when they followed their natural diet. I can't say factually state what is happening to them with the inclusion of breads, etc., but check out a book called "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration", and see how EVERY society that goes from a primitive, natural diet to a MODERN diet, has a remarkable deacrease in health, changes in tooth structure, increase in diabetes, obesity, etc, and when the modern diet is abondoned these same individuals regain their health. Even check out the reviews at Amazon for a glimpse of what it says. I that there was a lot of leisure time available to us in the past, but at the same time we traveled everywhere by foot. Today most sit in offices and drive around everywhere they go, A friend of mine just got back from Italy and lost a ton of weight, not working out at all, just b/c she said she had to walk everywhere she went. She said it was exhuasting, and this woman is in very good shape to begin with. Our situation is so bad in the modern world that people are actually walking on treadmills as a form of exercise, it's insane. But regardless, I wasn't saying we worked more or less, just that there are parallels between the act of hunting (which would have been anaerobic) and lifting weights. So that a hunt would give us a similar hormonal, muscle response then we would eat what was hunted, when our muscles are primed for protein, just like any other predatory animal.
Again, there's room for individuality, but I am just presenting an outline of another approach to fat loss, and giving as much evidence as possible to support it since it is so different.

http://www.mercola.com/2001/dec/12/syndrome_x.htm , just wanted to add this one too.
"Evidence is emerging also that our "grazing" pattern of eating could partly explain why syndrome X is on the increase. Zammit believes that eating too frequently could be one of the triggers that turns your liver into a relentless fat-secreting machine."
Quoted from the article, and there's an explanation of why this is believed.

all i know is this

primative man ate to survive not to build lean body mass and enter a bodybuilding contest

and if my college serves me correctly........ i dont think they had a very long life span from eating all the raw food

species adapt over time......... we cannot act like our ancestors

X

Exodus, we split from Chimpanzee's 4 million years ago, and there is less than a 1% difference in our DNA compared to them, small changes take a ridiculous amount of time to take place. Our species started walking upright 4 million years ago, our our current gene pool is no different than when we existed 150,000 years ago. We don't adapt that fast at all, and agriculture only started 10,000 years ago, a blink of the eye in terms of history. Never was our diet intended to consist of grains, processed carbs, large amounts of sugar, etc. Death then was from the hardships of life, hunting, and disease that is cured from todays medicine. Lifespan could be much greater but life was much different, people didnt die young b/c they followed a natural diet that we were always intended to eat. Again, look at people who follow a natural diet (like the Masai, Intuit) in recent history and you see they have as great a lifespan munus our modern medicine.
I totally agree they didnt work towards building muscle, but muscle is very natural to use, regardless if we work out or not. The fact is overall people had considerable more muscle mass than the avg. person today, of course we are different b/c we work out and watch what we eat.

If any thing PwB

the primitive diet would have probably looked more like this,

I think it's a comprimese that makes alittle more sense.

meals

1 a piece or 2 of fruit

2 a piece of fruit

3 a piece of fruit

4 a piece of fruit

5 a huge serving of protien, no fruit.

this would mimic much more effectively the eating pattern of a hunter on the "hunt"

also when you consider that over 70 percent of our taste buds are geared towards the recognition of fruit tastes. look at a diagram of the taste buds

It's also important to recognize that the image of "Man the Hunter" has been recognized by anthropologists as an inaccurate, ethnocentric, and androcentric view of foraging subsistence. Foragers did VERY little hunting initially. They actually were more like scavengers who ate the remains of animals after predators had their fill (i.e. stumble across the remains of an Impala after Lions have killed it and eaten what they wanted, and then fight off the Vultures and Hyenas to get a few scraps). So meat was not generally(*) a part of their diet on a daily basis; they were at the mercy of natural deaths and predation.

(*)Obviously there were also some bands who were lucky enough to live near a large body of water who had the potential to procure high quality protein more readily.

does anyone agree with eating one big 150 or more grams of protein meal after working out to get lean? i need feedbAck cause i disagree..why does all those fitness mags say 6 lil protein rich meals? i Dunno anymore ...whats goin on :confused: :arrow: :arrow:

Top Bottom