Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Here's my Korte

Jim Ouini

*shameless rip-off of BW's template*
Code:
			wk 1	wk 2	wk 3	wk 4	
			0.58	0.60	0.62	0.64	
Bench	295	6-8 x 6	171	177	183	189	
Squat	315	5-8 x 5	183	189	195	202	
Dead	500	5-8 x 5	290	300	310	320	
				wk 5	wk 6	wk 7	wk 8
			0.60	0.80	0.85	0.90	0.95
Bench	295	5 x 4	177	236	251	266	280
Squat	315	3 x 3	189	252	268	284	299
Dead	500	3 x 3	300	400	425	450	475

I plan on starting on Monday. I think I did this right...I'm going to read the Korte stuff in detail this weekend to double check. I've taken the entire week off from lifting to nurse some minor aches and pains - a tired posterior chain, slightly hyper-extended knee (I think) from a wild power shrug and a sore elbow. Yes it kinda sucks being old. I've only done some leisurely sled dragging and light kettlebelling.

I'll probably stick pretty strict to the weights...I have some microplates that I can finally put to good use. I get enough strange looks now from the regular gym crowd so that it's no big deal for me to clank on a 1/4lb'er.

Looking at the weights they don't look so bad. I haven't squatted very heavy for awhile while working on my ATG form and front squats, just ended a conditioning phase at 175 x 2 x 12, so 183 should be a nice ease into it. It should be good to get some reps in and regain my shattered confidence.

I don't anticipate any bench problems as long as my shoulder girdle stays healthy...been doing some light work there for the past couple months for that too. Although I have to be careful alternating the wide, medium, narrow grips.

As far as dead is concerned the weights don't look too bad to me although I've never deadlifted 3x/week. I had been deading 2x/week for awhile at around those weights so I think I'll be able to handle it.

I don't plan on using a belt for the entire program unless the squat feels really heavy. And I'll aim for no straps during prep phase for deadlifting.

Any comments/advice are welcome as usual. I'll keep this as my log.

You've got 295, 315 and 500 down as your targets for bench, squat and dead. What are your current maxes, i.e. how much are you hoping to gain?

I'm a lightweight newbie, so a lot of my gains will be due to the extra mass I put on (I assume). I can't remember a post where you mentioned your weight, but I think you're probably a little bit bigger than me :). If you're already pretty big, are you looking to maintain your current weight or bulk a little. I'm just curious as to whether you're going to bulk a little to help the gains or whether the gains will purely be down to the loading/deloading effect.

Well, good luck. I hope you fare better than I did. Hit me with any questions that I might be able to answer. You know I'll be heckling from the sidelines, anyway.

Don't forget that you have the number of sets to play with on each exercise each time. For some reason I settled on seven sets about half-way through.

anotherbutters said:
You've got 295, 315 and 500 down as your targets for bench, squat and dead. What are your current maxes, i.e. how much are you hoping to gain?

I'm a lightweight newbie, so a lot of my gains will be due to the extra mass I put on (I assume). I can't remember a post where you mentioned your weight, but I think you're probably a little bit bigger than me :). If you're already pretty big, are you looking to maintain your current weight or bulk a little. I'm just curious as to whether you're going to bulk a little to help the gains or whether the gains will purely be down to the loading/deloading effect.

Well from my last 5 x 5 about 7 weeks ago I finished with the following:

Bench 275 x 3 x 3
Squat ~350 something but broken. I think I got 365 below parallel squat but not ATF before some knee trouble.
Dead 455 x 3 x 3

So my goal is to add a bit to my bench and dead, and get a butt to ankles squat with 315 without any mental/physical trauma.

I do plan to increase my cals and bulk up a bit. I currently weigh 195 and would like to get back to 205 (where I ended up last 5 x 5), but do it a little smarter this time so as to minimize the chub if possible.

Blut Wump said:
Well, good luck. I hope you fare better than I did. Hit me with any questions that I might be able to answer. You know I'll be heckling from the sidelines, anyway.

Don't forget that you have the number of sets to play with on each exercise each time. For some reason I settled on seven sets about half-way through.

Thanks BW.

Re: sets, I'm going to check your log again but I'm debating if I should start with 8 sets and as the weight gets heavier maybe cut it to 6. Or maybe the opposite and try to increase my capacity as I go along. Or maybe just do 7 from the get go. ;)

The thing I found tricky when going from my DF to SF 5x5 was turning the DF result (3x3) into a starting point for the SF (1x5).

Same thing for your good self. Your starting points are 3x3. But your Korte targets are singles. So you're going from a 275 3x3 bench to a 295 single. C'mon man - I want to see some blood and guts ;)

I am impressed by your bodyweight. You seem strong for that weight as far as I can tell. You're almost at the 300/400/500 bench/squat/dead point (well you will be when you fix that squat).

Thanks AB, appreciate the kind words. I think this one will test my mettle.

Ya know every program says to figure your 1RM but I just guestimate. For elite's it might be critical but I think someone like me can be off 5 or 10lbs :)

I think the bench practice will be good. I've never much cared for it, as you can tell from my #'s. I'd always done a lot of incline db presses, then lighter bench or hammer strength, then fly's. Back when I had a 'chest day' ;)

Good luck bro.

I gotta side w/ A-B on the bench # though- it seems you are already there w/ 275 for 3x3. What did you get for 1x3?

Just like in the 5x5, the first couple of weeks are mostly about getting into it. That'll give plenty of time to decide whether you've under-pitched the weights. I remember thinking that I was in trouble after the first session and did 8 sets on each exercise by the end of the week.

Take it steady and play it by ear. You can load up fully in two weeks so the weeks 3 and 4 are the major ones. By then you should have grown used to the overall volume and can see about cranking things up as you feel able.

Guinness5.0 said:
Good luck bro.

I gotta side w/ A-B on the bench # though- it seems you are already there w/ 275 for 3x3. What did you get for 1x3?

Actually now that I think of it, I only got 275 x 1 x 3 :( IIRC I kept missing this weight until the final week. And then I got 1 rep with 280.

Just like in the 5x5, the first couple of weeks are mostly about getting into it. That'll give plenty of time to decide whether you've under-pitched the weights. I remember thinking that I was in trouble after the first session and did 8 sets on each exercise by the end of the week.

OK I won't sweat it. And I just though how ironic it was that I'm being so exact with the weights when I'm guesstimating my 1RM's ;)

There is one thing, and I'm just being cautious here: I noticed that your table in post one in ordered as Bench, Squat Dead. Remember to do them in the order of Squat, Bench, Dead.

Top Bottom