Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

White lawmaker tries to join black caucus-gets denied-NAACP asks for HIS resignation!

milo hobgoblin said:
apparently 2ez has never stepped foot in any government office. Its become rare to se a white male working in ANY government office.. at least in So Cal

Your right....but i was not referring to administrative positions or janitorial services.

milo hobgoblin said:
Matt.. you may as well be arguing with a brick wall.

lol

I am a million times more likely to listen to valid arguments from the opposite side of my viewpoint on a topic like this than someone like you or hengst.

Re: White lawmaker tries to join black caucus-gets denied-NAACP asks for HIS resignat

bluepeter said:
Institutional barriers? hhhmmm, I would say no except for inherent racism. I was getting more at what you just said in terms of people having to work that much harder to overcome because of their colour and/or circumstances.

What you're really talking about, then, is the reality that people are always going to be wary of someone new / not from their background until they get to know that person.

Racism, class discrimination, gender discrimination are all variations on this theme, aren't they?

Re: White lawmaker tries to join black caucus-gets denied-NAACP asks for HIS resignat

MattTheSkywalker said:
Doors ARE open to just about anyone who is willing to work hard enough bor.

People from ANY background can succeed in the US. Yes, some are more advantaged than others - easier to be born rich than poor.

But no one who is willing to work is systemically denied opportunity. That's just a lie.

Even taking out the racial argument....this just does not apply.

I know many that are willing to work (white, black..etc) that can not find a void to fill..

It pains me to agree with MTSW (j/k Matt) but, the following is from Biography.com and should put this whole thing to rest:

King, Martin Luther, Jr,
"Young Martin graduated from Morehouse College in Georgia (1948) and Crozer Theological Seminary (1951) and then took a PhD from Boston University (1955)"

PhD in 1955. This was in a time when racism was REALLY something to worry about. Whites and blacks a like should take note. He got his PhD not because he got extra points for being a certain color, but because he worked hard and earned it!

2ez said:
Even taking out the racial argument....this just does not apply.

I know many that are willing to work (white, black..etc) that can not find a void to fill..

Sure, this is where creativity and originality comes in. The presence of unemployment in an economy does not signify a lack of opportunity.

MattTheSkywalker said:
Do you believe that there are barriers which cannot be overcome? Institutional barriers?

People from certain backgrounds may have to work much harder than others, but, so what?

It's the fact that you say so what that bothers me bro. It is as if you are discounting their challenges. But when someone says there are tired, you will be quick to call them lazy.

You say opporunities are available to all, then you suggest the playing field is not leveled.

Please explain more what your thoughts are. It's confusing to me.

PhD in 1955. This was in a time when racism was REALLY something to worry about. Whites and blacks a like should take note. He got his PhD not because he got extra points for being a certain color, but because he worked hard and earned it!

Actually MLK plagarized over half his doctoral thesis.. he didnt "earn" anythign unless you consider successfully stealing the thoughs and ideas of others "earning"

2ez said:
It's the fact that you say so what that bothers me bro. It is as if you are discounting their challenges. But when someone says there are tired, you will be quick to call them lazy.

You say opporunities are available to all, then you suggest the playing field is not leveled.

Please explain more what your thoughts are. It's confusing to me.

The playing field will never be equal. here you go:

I work with people from top universities. Many of their parents were top finance people who attended the same universities. The kids grew up with private schools and then on to the same universities their parents went. Unsurprisingly, they moved into influential finance jobs.

Most would say "anyone could do that" if they had those chances, and they would be right. I paid my own way to an elite boarding school that I got into ona basketball scholarship. then I paid my own way through Unviersity the same way.

After that I joined the Army. By the time I was 25 I got out, and some doors had opened. I took advantage and became successful. I still work 6-7 days a wee kand sometimes I am here until 11 at night.

Clearly, my road was harder than someone whose dad was a managing director of an investment bank.

Many people have it much much harder than I did. But anyone can get ahead if they are willing to work for it. It doesn't require an equal playing field, in fact from an economic standpoint, inequality creates growth.

milo hobgoblin said:
Actually MLK plagarized over half his doctoral thesis.. he didnt "earn" anythign unless you consider successfully stealing the thoughs and ideas of others "earning"

Dont bother. Thats a whole other discussion that people wont be able to come to terms with.

Top Bottom