Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training as a boxer...

People are so quick to dismiss Coach Davies, but that's why they call if "Renegade Training".

I have 20 years of martial arts experience, including kickboxing. I currently train in MMA at a school run by a former UFC heavy weight champ and another UFC light heavy fighter who was also an olympic wrestler, so I have a little experience in the fight game. Renegade training has taken my strength and conditioning to an new level ( I'm 35, and am in better shape than many younger guys). If you have never given renegade training a try, then you have no business dismissing it. To do so is foolish, as it will get you into the best shape of your life. Yeah he charges you for it (99 dollars is not that much money if you are serious about entering the ring), but he will tailor it to fit you needs/goals, and will always answer your questions via e-mail. Yes there are many hacks out there taking people's money for lame training programs, but Coach Davies is not one of them.

Yeah, and ya' know what? That's something that ANYONE can do. Anyone can pitch around advice. I'm sorry, but I shouldn't have to pay for training routines or ideas. That's what these boards are for. They're all I need. Many people here can say they've made incredible gains in strength, size, and speed all from what they've learned here.

Anyway, Thai Box...

My maxes aren't too good with lifts, deads and squats could probably be higher, but I'm afraid of injuries.

Bench: 180
Squat: 150
Deads: 190
Upright Row: 65
Military Press: 85
Curls: 65
Closegrip Bench: 110

A guess on the CG Bench and such, but anyway:

My strengths would be that I'm extremely aggressive. I have a drive to beat someone down, my blood stirs insanely at the thought of hurting someone brutally. I'm a maniac like that. I won't provoke anything, I'm pretty level-headed. I usually will let the opponent make the first move, then just counter swiftly with... well, whatever works, it depends on the situation.

You'd have to break my legs to fuckin' keep me down. Basically, I won't stop no matter what. I hate giving in, so... yeah.

My legs are descent long, I'd say them and my torso are like, average length for my height (my friend is my height but has much longer legs so, yeah... he looks funny haha)

If I got in a fight, again it would depend on the situation, but probably a right hook...

No injuries, no weak body parts at all.

I have strong calves. Legs in general, actually.

Yes you can get great information here. But why limit yourself to one site? Are you really serious about this? At 35 I'm am seriously training to enter the ring professionally in MMA, not kickboxing or boxing. That means I have to be stronger and better conditioned than guys 10-15 years younger than me. If it works for me, just imagine what it can do for you. I have plenty of lifting experience, and also train with the Oregon Strongman Club, but I will pay for Coach Davies advice in a heartbeat. It is another tool in the toolbox. I'm sure Thaibox has a great program outlined for you, but never close your eyes to other training methods. That is the best advice that I can give to a young fighter. Good luck.

Okay, can I hear an example of the advice he's given you?

And I don't understand what you pay for exactly. Is it JUST some guy to send you advice on training through e-mail? If so... that's just... god I won't even say it.

I understand you're saying to being open-minded, but if I can spend my $100 on food that'll last me a few weeks to help build muscle, and keep me healthy and well-nourished, then I'm going for that.

ronin67, again, if the system worked for you as it did slinky thats excellent. I just made the observation that they had nothing to share that I couldn't find from a dozen websites, books, or trainers on these boards...for free mind you. He was asking several hundred dollars for one system, thats just wrong to me.

LK2
Don't worry about your max #'s right now bro. I just asked those questions to kind of determine what you're like, how you respond to things, your natural tendancies, etc. People can recommend pre-formed training routines all day long, but in my opinion, aside from many fundamental basic training aspects, training is highly individual. What works for tall agressive guys like us, may not work for a shorter defensive guy. Anyway, your numbers are good. Dude, your still only 15, and most 15 year olds cant do a push-up without wimpering.

Its good that you have backed off for injury considerations. That way you can find a good coach and get your form down perfect, then there will be nothing to fear except bending the bars.

Anyway, I just got back from the hopsital where I had the FOURTH goddamn doctor tell me that I will never deadlift or squat again, so I'm in a pretty bad mood. :mad: I'll get back to you when I calm down a little, sorry bro.

No problem at all man, I'm still on that li'l mental/physical vacation you recommended, to get my head straight and all, so no rush. I appreciate what you're doing for me anyone, so even if I was in a rush, I can't complain.

Just be wary of your body man. Doctors, I understand, can be ignorant when it comes to our training and liftstyles, but don't go deadlift and squat to spite him.

What exactly is the problem anyway, that you can't do these? Knee/back problems? Either way man, just be careful. No need for another fighter to be out of commission just because he/she wasn't cautious enough.

Haven't had to spend one cent to Coach Davies. I've just read up on his contributions on other sites. Also, he has provided me with advice via email at no cost. That's the great thing about Coach D. Hell, I'll even get a reply from him at 4AM. Wild. The man never sleeps.

Anyways, keep your options open. Also, my boxing gym is open to new training options. Knows the importance of strength and power; that is backed up by the "sweet science". And to fully utilize the strength and power I've obtained from weight training, I know that I need to relax in the ring (more sparring for me), relax into the punches (sparring and heavy bag training), and just deliver those punches that "pop". Thereby necessitating the need to train in a boxing gym in "addition to" weight training. I can deadlift 280 all day long, but in the end, that doesn't mean anything in the ring if I can't deliver (and occassionally take) the punches.

Just my .2 cents and I wish all luck.

Fight and fight.

The only advise I can give you is this.
Fight and fight as much as you can, in the ring or in the street.
Fight as many different types of people as you can, with as many different backgrounds and body types as possible.
This will expose you to your weakness and allow you to train on it, sure you have a reach advantage to shorter guys but there is always someone taller so train with that in mind too.
Also being taller on average leaves you open to several weaknesses; eg your punch rotation will take a split second longer than a guy with shorter arms, also if a guy gets in close to you your lower face is more exposed to head butts.
Your longer legs means a harder time getting up when pinned down.
The shorter guy has a better centre of gravity.
Train with weakness in mind and you will go far.

I suggest filming yourself having a fight as watching yourself on camera from the outside in will help you pin point your weaknesses.

As for gym work train to get huge, use compond movements.
Your conditioning will come mainly from fights and more fights.
Also eat like there is no tomorrow; do not worry about fat as your training will ensure that it will be minimal. (LOL it is hard to get fat when lifting and doing boxing training.)

Remember all the bag hiting and weights will do you no good; if you do not fight, try to fight at LEAST once a day.

When I was younger I used to pick fights in school or at the nightclubs; it was a good way to learn how to fight.
But being a few years older and wiser it is better to fight in the ring or with consent; brawling in the street has legal consequences and possible death.

Goodluck.

I usually find myself on the same wavelength as you HA, but this time I've got to disagree with the street fight theory. Although I did go through a phase of this type of training myself, I must say its a bad idea. The worst thing about it is injury potential. If you're training your body daily in several aspects, any injury will hinder your progress. Its very easy to crack an elbow on cement, break a knuckle on a jaw, or any other myraid of injuries. Not to mention the unknown of your opponent. He may have 13 friends in another corner who rush over with 7 different weapons and don't stop pounding you until you aren't moving. Then your training is completely fucked. Or if you're real lucky, it will be some shit-head littel gangbanger that saves face by shooting you in the parking lot. Not to mention the legal and moral issues this brings up.

If you want to simulate real combat, just find some willing opponents, throw on the NHB gloves and hit the mat.

Nods

Yeah it was part of being a teenager when I did those crazy things; I am lucky to only recieve a stab wound to the ribs.
Being in my twenties help me see the risky parts of my actions.
It was a good learning experience.
LOL I am just a boring lawyer now and getting locked up for assault will end my career too.

But as I said above a safer and better way is to spar inside the ring with consent.
Fight and fight somemore, just make sure injuries are tend to ASAP.

Top Bottom