Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training as a boxer...

Legion Kreinak2

Let's say, hypothetically, I was to try and become a boxer (like, as a profession). I'm fifteen, if I started now, would it be possible? I'm 6', 165 lbs, some muscle on me already, got an entire training routine and diet planned out, gettin' heavy bag and such for X-mas to start bag training drills and such.

What type of training routine would I be lookin' at? How would I eat? Typical diet (2x BW in protein/day, 20x BW in calories to bulk, lean meats and such with healthy fats like flax) or something other?

Please, someone help me here. I'm honestly considering this. I'll work hard towards it if I can just get the anwsers to direct me correctly.

Fuck yeah bro!!
You are at the perfect age to begin training. There's no doubt in my mind that you could do it. Just don't let the passion die like most people do with their dreams.

Figuring that you probably aren't done growing yet, and you're 6'1", you'll have a good reach advantage, so learn how to use that.

Don't let anyone tell you that muscle will slow you down. I know you're knowledgable and been around the boards long enough to know that's crap. IMO, find yourself a good olympic/powerlifting coach and start grinding out those lifts for power and speed. Don't waste your time with curls and leg extensions. Hit the sprints, plyometrics, etc.

Unfortunately, you won't grow to your full potential because you'll be doing a shitload of cardio. But, you can lift hard, eat like a fucking madman and stay strong, powerful, and fast.

If you have any further questions about getting into the game, finding instructors, fights, etc, PM me. I'd be glad to help. Just don't forget about Thaibox when your holding that world title belt eh?

What's the diet and training routine you have planned?

i wish i started at 15 :bawling:

what thaibox said about the compound lifts and olympic stuff is also true....in that they are good :)

i also wish i was 6' 1 :sulk: :D

Thai, as of now, I got this...

Sunday (Abs) Sets/Reps
Weighted Crunches 4x12

Monday (Chest/Calves)
Inclined Bench Press 5x5
Inclined Flies 2x8
Flat Bench Press 2x8
Standing Heel Raise 5x15

Tuesday (Cardio)
Sprints

Wednesday (Back/Shoulders)
Deadlift 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Yates' Row 2x8
Wide Grip Chin-ups 2xF
Upright Row 2x8
Shrugs 2x8

Thursday (Abs)
Weighted Crunches 3x12

Friday (Legs)
Squat 5x5
Leg Extension 3x8
Straight Leg Deadlift 2x8
Leg Curl 3x8
Standing Heel Raise 5x15

Saturday (Arms)
Curls 5x5
Closegrip Bench Press 5x5
Inclined Dumbbell Curls 2x8
Extensions 2x8
Hammer Curls 2x8
Push-ups 2x8
Wrist Curls 3x8
Reverse Wrist Curls 3x8
Grip Squeezes 3x8
Grip Holds 3x10s
'

DIET

Meal 1
3 Egg Whites
Quaker Cinnamon & Apple Oatmeal
Small box of raisins in oatmeal (1.5 oz)
8 oz. Orange Juice
Multivitamin & Minerals

Meal 2
1 Cup Maple Granola
Banana
Whey Protein Powder
8 oz. 1% Milk
1 Tbsp Flaxseed

Meal 3
2 Tbsps Natural Peanut Butter
Jelly
Whole Wheat Bread
1 Can Of Tuna

Meal 4
4 oz. chicken breast
1 Baked Potato
8 oz. 1% Milk
5 Spears Of Asparagus

Meal 5
1 Tbsp Flaxseed
Whey Protein Powder
8 oz. 1% Milk
1 Can Of Tuna
Banana

Meal 6
4 oz. chicken breast
5 Spears Of Asparagus
1 Can Of Tuna
8 oz. 1% Milk

So how's this sound? Should I drop the milk and OJ and fruit because fructose tends to store in the liver as fat when there are other carbs present (so Mr. X said, at least). I'm bulking now, so I'm not sure if it matters. Though, if cutting those out would help reduce fat I gain, I'd go for it. I want as minimal fat as possible.

Should I be doing no cardio ('sides bag training on tuesday)?

I think that heavyweight Jameel McCline didn't start until he was 25 and he is world class caliber. You've got 10 years on him.

Hi Legion:

You should be training as much as possible in "boxing rounds". For instance, I didn't see any rope work listed. While I do not perform any sprints, I jump rope 2-3 times a week. What I do is jump for 3-minutes and then rest for 1-minutes, and so on. I do this for 20-30 minutes.

I train on the heavy bag (I train in a boxing gym 2-3 nights a week) the same way (since there is a boxing timer in the gym). Every PM or AM, I shadow box. So, when you sprint - perform in High Intensity Intervals, aka "rounds". You can also perform intervals on a row machine.

As for weight training, recently joined up with some Oregon Strongmen and have been training with them on Fridays. We work on explosive style of lifts. Which I feel would benefit me in the boxing ring. On my regular weight training days, it's the compound movements with some added explosive lifts. Squats, deadlifts, bench and powercleans (and also good mornings and front squats). For abs, Saxon Side Bends, hanging leg raises. Heavy bag training also helps, since punching really works my obliques.
I hope this helps!

:)

Don't worry about fat bro. Fat has very little to do with function. Also, you're trying to be a bodybuilder and a fighter at the same time, which is difficult enough without avoiding fruit and juices. Any and all carbs will be your friends, trust me.

You're going to be living in a world of overtraining. You have some decent lifting experience so you should be getting to know your body well enough to avoid going catabolic. But, you are the only one that knows what your body can handle. For example, I know guys that can bust out 2 hours of cardio a day, six days a week, lift 4-5 days a week, and stay big. Whereas regardless of my diet, I could never hold a decent size while I was training a lot unless I wasn't natural.

If you truly want to be successful at lifting and fighting, you'll have to be dedicated as hell and sacrifice a lot. You're going to be telling your body to do two very contraditory things and neither will progress at the maximum potential because of this. Your diet, sleep, recreation, training, all have to be in sinc. Its tough bro, but if it burns bad enough inside you, then it'll come easy.

One thing that you have in your favor is age. You can punish the shit out of your body much more than I can at even 28, and still grow and progress. However, you're not superman, and if you try and be him, you can crash. You have time to learn what your body can and cannot handle. Don't be afraid to take time off and just relax if you have to, letting your body and mind(just as important) heal and recover. Learn some katas or forms to do on your days off, do some light, easy shadow boxing, go for a walk, meditate, get laid. Do anything to relax your body and find that balance.

Now that I read your posts here, I'm kinda unclear what your goals are. Do you want to bulk a little before you start training hard? do you want to start both now? or do you want to gradually increase the amount of training within your lifting? This makes a huge difference in your lifting/diet/training schedule.

Top Bottom