Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Basketball training help

Explosive Squats, jump squats, power cleans and sprints

Once you can squat at least 3 times your bodyweight then add in simple two legged plyometrics working up to, single leg plyos and then depth jumps

Off course droppng bodyfat gives much easier gains :)

One exercise that helps a lot for me anyway is rebound tip in drills - shoot a freethrow and deliberately miss it so it skims the ring and boucnes around, then explode for it then jump stop from 2 legs and try tip it in or dunk it if you can :)
Works great for increasing ingame explosiveness, especially your first step speed, jumping and rebounding anticipation skills. Its kinda like a game specific plyometric drill. Do as many as it takes

Last edited:
Even getting absolute strength strong on squats can help a lot, because then your bodyweight is so light compared to your leg strength. There is a lean 5'9" bodybuilder I know here, who can grab the ring on a two legged vertical jump and can get his wrist 3 inches above the ring on a run up one lgged take off, with the ball in his hand. But he can't dunk it because he doesn't have the technique down yet to keep the ball under control at the peak of his jump :)

But he's built like house, and when you see him you just don't think he has the ups to get there, but he does.

Last edited:
I personally like the free throw drill. I actually do them a lot when I am practicing by myself.

I am about 5'10" and 28yo and I play bball at work once a week. There are a couple younger, slimmer and taller guys than me out there that actually play/played organized ball. I outrebound them like there is no tomorrow. People are amazed by my rebounding ability, I can't shoot for beans and I don't really think that I have great hops, but I bounce like a MF'r. I can get the rim on a good day, but like I said, I can jump 2 times to one persons one.

Your just like me gamewise! Except I can get my whole hand above rim on a vertcial jump and I'm inch shorter :)

Just like you I can't shoot jumpers, but I can out rebound 6'4" guys and post up and get my shots in close or tip in rebounds :D
I'm currently dieting down so, once I reach 5% bodyfat (currently around 14%) I'll be owning the rim!

I was at maybe 18-20%bf about a month and 1/2 ago and it was winter so I wasn't balling all that much.

I am now down to about 12-15% and my hopes are back. Feels great. Now I just need to get out to the court more to get above the rim.

I was thinking about throwing in some explosive squats with light weight so I can get really ABOVE the RIM. I know I am 28 and have never done it, but I have never really worked out before either.

I am naturally a soccer player/goalie, but it is hard to get a pickup game of soccer going where I live. My legs all my life have been programed for straight power and there was really no need for super hops. I am changing that now. I mean shit, I was punting a soccer ball over 80 yards when I needed to.

I love both sports and I just got out of soccer so I need to get into BBall a little more seriously. Goalie is tough on a body and I was getting really beat up.

coolcolj

what are you doin to lose your body fat percent cuz im 59, 58 iv dunked like twice i got small hands but i cant jump. so if i get alittle vert ill be able to cram. i recorded my fat %it said i was 18 but thats not right but iam around 15 so want to get to the most 8. can you give me some advice on how i should as a baasketball player!
thanx

Just cut your calories and play basketball. J/K

Are you working out?? How can you say that you are 5'9" and dunked a couple of times and can't jump?? That's pretty good hops if you ask me.

If you are working out just keep doing it and drop your calories. You can do many different diets to drop your BF% and they are mostly centered around what YOU want to do. Take a look at the diet board and you will surely find a diet that fits your needs.

Pretty simple really!!! Drop your BF and if you are REALLY dunking at 5'9" without hops you will surely be putting on a show.

I have a thread in the diet section where I'm documenting my progress. The diet I use is a bit on the advanced side for maybe you guys.

So I suggest just drinking 1.5 gallon of ice cold water a day, helps move some fat because your body will fight to stabilise the body temps, cut all junk food, eat more smaller meals a day. Replace starchy carbs with more veges. find out what you can eat to maintain your weight, and then just eat a tiny bit less. If your losing more than 2 pounds or 1kg a week then your losing a lot of water and muscle.
You gotta hit the weights, extra muscle burns extra calories, but you may actually gain some weight from this, as long as its useful muscle though then it will be of an advantge. Train for power, and not size. When you get strong enough start jumping around with some dumbells at home, or even better get some of those weight vests and jump around.
And start doing interval sprints - this will help you burn the fat and build up your legs and calves too!

Just don't starve yourself though - I've been there and while I lost lots of weight my vertical stayed the same, but my one legged jump did improve. You don't want to lose any muscle

I've read that as you get leaner, there is less friction from intra-musclar fat, so you gain extra power from that too.
Anyway my theory is, for every 2 lbs of fat you lose, without losing any muscle, you should gain at least 1 inch on your vertical.
Just strap a 2lb weight on yourself and jump, sure makes a difference doesn't it? :)

One interesting thing I've noticed, if you squat heavy for a few reps, and then jump imediately after the squats like within 10 secs, you can actually jump higher than normal! Your legs feel like they have extra kick from the stimulation.

i dint say i dotn have a vert

like my vert is nice and i like this diet your talkin bout but im only 15 i dont want to do anything that will stunt my growth cuz im serious bout ball. my team is really good theres a guy on my team that can wind mill, and everything he is my hight. so compared to his vert mines ok. but ya so just when im playin justwear an extra two lbs. will this effect my shot.

Top Bottom