Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Would you punch this college basketball player in the face?

Statement from Richard A. Berman President, Manhattanville College

“Prior to each game throughout the 2002-03 season, Toni Smith, a senior forward on Manhattanville College’s women’s basketball team, has chosen to turn away from the American flag during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner."

“While Ms. Smith is expressing her personal views and not necessarily those of the college, the first amendment guarantees her right to do so. This is particularly true at Manhattanville College, where our mission is to ‘educate ethically and socially responsible leaders for the global community.’ Manhattanville asks only that all views be expressed – and received – with respect and dignity."

"It is irrelevant whether I, or anyone else, agree or disagree with Ms. Smith’s position. Her right of expression is fundamental and we support her.”

Casa,
I am all for freedom. I think there is a time and a place for everything as well, on a side note. She is absolutely right to feel the way she does bc feelings are never wrong. She is however, putting herself and everyone around her under watchful eyes with the decision she is making. The watchful eyes are not exactly pleasent.
TBO, I would not speak out against my own country in this manner. You don't have to scream to be heard. :)

Would I punch the player in the face?

The player is 100% correct, I would punch all the flag wavers in the face along with anyone who supported such a govt. peace

Why don't we just arrest her for having an unpatriotic opinion? Oh wait.... there's supposed to be something about freedom of speech in this part of the world. I guess the right wingers are only for free speech when they agree with the speaker.

casavant said:
She's expressing very inpopular views in a peaceul manner during a period of patriotic fervor, and enduring nationwide ridicule for it along the way. How many of you would be willing to do that for something you believed in? Honestly?

good point. but I still don't think it's the right venue.

In all honesty, I think she was just being a dumb kid. How many of us have dome similarly dense things in our youth, without thinking?

That being said, she's well within her rights. I'm glad the school backed her up.

MP5 said:

PS: if you liberals would let us drill for oil in the north you would not have an excuse not to go to war, hmmmmm...interesting.

Perhaps you should look into the nature of the "comparative advantage" held by arab (and south american) countries and see why it is much more profitable to use arab oil.

Top Bottom