Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Where to watch State of the Union Address online?

note the keyword. Think there's tons of them around your city looking for people to give them money? Nope. For every skilled investor, there's 100 newbies doing it themselves or finding a con artist (read: madoff).

low risk = low return
high risk = high return

That formula hasn't changed in decades. But hey, if you got a formula for low risk, average/high returns - i'm all ears. :)

c

That forumula isn't exactly true, either. More concisely -- and more generally -- risk is defined as variability of returns, which means a much different thing. (The proof is left as an exercise to the reader.)

Maybe that's something that's easier to pick up with a quant background... you just see people throwing around rules or "equations" that are at best only true sometimes (e.g., Newtonian laws, F = ma), and at worse, patently false (e.g., Einstein's E = mc^2).

Since when is a person like you against making money off of naive newbies who will buy your (financial) product for more than you bought it for?

Some biologist dood said that if you tug on a single string in nature, you will fine it attached to the rest of the world... this is probably more true of finance and other highly integrated human activities than you would like to think...

:cow:

lol, tv's aren't 3k anymore brah.

you can snag a 42 inch 1080p for $500 bucks or so now a days.

like the most badass LED tv (55 inch+) will run you like $1500-1600
bestbuy has 50" 720p plasmas for $599 this week

I snagged a 55" 1080p LCD HDTV for $666 (taxes included) this weekend, SWEET

I have much better things to do with $3k and $120/month, man... time and awesome life stuff notwithstanding. And I don't watch sports, which is a big draw for the HD products.

Although your figures are dated, you bring up an excellent point.

If you "sacrificed" TV and the full cable package and invested that $$$ in a moderate risk fund what wood your return be in 5 years? 10 years? :confused:

That forumula isn't exactly true, either. More concisely -- and more generally -- risk is defined as variability of returns, which means a much different thing. (The proof is left as an exercise to the reader.)

Buzz. Nope, risk is defined as evaluating past performance and variables (as is all investing research, look up how credit scores work or how health insurance works). Lending money to a drug dealer is high risk because in the past many of them squander it, get arrested or get killed. If I'm always blowing my money, you going to lend me money? I doubt it. You can try to validate as much as you can - the reality of investing leads to that formula. Warren Buffet and other bigwigs preach that formula too.

If you disagree, and say that there's low risk high return options, i challenge you to post one. (You show something is risk-free, I show you either low returns or high barrier to join).

Like I said, those who ARE smart and figure out great investment opportunities that produce great returns, don't advertise, get only their buddies involved and don't care unless you got $150M to invest. Give goldman sachs a call. :)

btw: If you really are an investor, if u want to make $20k in 3 days, pm me. Trust me, it's low-risk - not a joke! :)

c

Last edited:

Yup. And most people don't get this.

The risk-free component of an investment gets re-priced to the market almost instantly.

Buzz. Nope, risk is defined as evaluating past performance and variables (as is all investing research, look up how credit scores work or how health insurance works). Lending money to a drug dealer is high risk because in the past many of them squander it, get arrested or get killed. If I'm always blowing my money, you going to lend me money? I doubt it. You can try to validate as much as you can - the reality of investing leads to that formula. Warren Buffet and other bigwigs preach that formula too.

If you disagree, and say that there's low risk high return options, i challenge you to post one. (You show something is risk-free, I show you either low returns or high barrier to join).

Like I said, those who ARE smart and figure out great investment opportunities that produce great returns, don't advertise, get only their buddies involved and don't care unless you got $150M to invest. Give goldman sachs a call. :)

btw: If you really are an investor, if u want to make $20k in 3 days, pm me. Trust me, it's low-risk - not a joke! :)

c

Just out of curiosity, do you know how securities are priced? As long as we're talking equations and stuff, that might be the easiest place to start. We have an obvious disconnect here, lol.

I get what you're saying about gambling, but deriving that from the random walk principle is kinda like dismissing classical mechanics because of the uncertainty priciple. Risk is a core component to pricing models, but I admit I don't really understand how it's priced into the Black-Sholes equations from CAPM -- betas are often contain little current information, and alphas are extremely complex unknowns. I would be interested in any links you might have that covers variability outside of the risk-free.

Risk is a core component to pricing models, but I admit I don't really understand how it's priced into the Black-Sholes equations from CAPM -- betas are often contain little current information, and alphas are extremely complex unknowns. I would be interested in any links you might have that covers variability outside of the risk-free.

talk English, bitch

Top Bottom