Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

toughest desicion I may have to make

It is terribly sad to hear about your daughter. As a father of four (soon to be six), I can't imagine what you are going through. I wish her and your family nothing but the best.

Regarding your legal question, what intervention could they have done? If your daughter was already premature, a post-delivery CT or MRI might have been a good diagnostic tool but it doesn't jump out at me as to what they'd do differently if they had found damage.

Chris -- what could/should have been done differently?

i find it odd that they never told them about what happen at the time of birth. THey had to wait until later on to find out

oh jeez bro...i had no idea it was that bad. i thought from you had posted in the past it was manageable and she only needed stuff like occupational therapy but otherwise she was g2g. i'm sorry.......

but like others said, is there really grounds for it? It's worth at least exploring options. as far as "you don't want a long drawn out legal process" blah blah blah...that's potentially a bunch of baloney. a lot of the time they settle if you have a strong case. whether you do or not that's what you need to determine.

it 's also really easy to say that it's not worth dealing with as an outsider when you're not the one actually dealing with the implications of this on a day to day basis. if you can make your life(and your daughter's) a little easier moving forward by not having to worry about the cost of addressing these things, you do it.

Exactly, I am NOT blaming them for the stroke, although it is possible seeing as the baby was under stress four days before they even operated, high heart rate, high blood pressure, wife showingnsymptoms of pre clampsia. The issue is how everything was handled and being left in the dark. If you are born not breathing, blue, and need to be revived it's medical 101 to perform a cat scan to check for possible brain damage due to lack of oxygen to the brain.
Let me ask you this, if your kid fell off a 19 ft wall and they never took rays, sent him/her home with a broken pelvis or something they'd be screwed. Someone didn't do their job IMO.
I did a little research yesterday on infant brain malpractice and read cases detail by detail. Many were so similar, other cases mine is much worse ( trust me, you guys got cliff cliff notes)
Most settlements in my area were in the 2-5 million range fwiw

Sent from my THRIVE tablet via tapatalk using EliteFitness

Exactly, I am NOT blaming them for the stroke, although it is possible seeing as the baby was under stress four days before they even operated, high heart rate, high blood pressure, wife showingnsymptoms of pre clampsia. The issue is how everything was handled and being left in the dark. If you are born not breathing, blue, and need to be revived it's medical 101 to perform a cat scan to check for possible brain damage due to lack of oxygen to the brain.
Let me ask you this, if your kid fell off a 19 ft wall and they never took rays, sent him/her home with a broken pelvis or something they'd be screwed. Someone didn't do their job IMO.
I did a little research yesterday on infant brain malpractice and read cases detail by detail. Many were so similar, other cases mine is much worse ( trust me, you guys got cliff cliff notes)
Most settlements in my area were in the 2-5 million range fwiw

Sent from my THRIVE tablet via tapatalk using EliteFitness

The difference is a broken pelvis is treatable with definitive care.

And I'll freely admit that I'm not an MD/DO. But having said that, what would you do with a newborn child that might have brain damage? I'm not sure they can do much other than wait it out and hope the issue resolves.

Again, it's a terrible situation and I can't imagine what you are going through. And poor communication is definitely a horrible practice. The part I'm missing is what would have happened differently if they had performed a CT scan (or MRI... I'd guess it would be an MRI). If they were already implementing a protocol for premature birth, then I don't understand what additional imaging would achieve.

ortiz, I think it's sketchy that she showed signs of pre clampsia and they didn't want to take the baby right away or have her admitted to monitor the baby. My doctor would admit you right away if you had high blood pressure, basically he saw those readings past 35 weeks you were admitted to the hospital and probably looking at an induction or csection. Like, right away you were not even allowed to go home to get clothes...you pretty much were not leaving that hospital until you had that baby and you were probably having it w/in the next 24 hours.

I also think it's sketchy that they HID from you what happened to your daughter after the birth, your daughter was in teh hospital for that long after delivery and it was never mentioned to you? Abby's scores were discussed with me a couple hours after her birth. I don't know if there was anything they could have done after the birth, or medication they could have given her during those three months to help her brain, or deal with seizures as I'm guessing she gets now. She could have been in some sort of treatment, though. I'm not a doctor but I find it hard to believe being in the dark is better than knowing what's going on with your daughter. They knew, those nurses knew, why didn't anyone tell you?

I'm not big on suing people, generally in most situations I think it's wrong. However when it comes to your kiddos, we don't have that luxury, the world is a messy place...I would sue the pope if he lied to me about something that would potentially harm my daughter or keep me from treating her, or keeping me in the dark about something that happened to her. You had a right to know that right away.

Good luck ortiz, I hope you get whatever outcome will make you feel a little more at peace, if that's even possible.

Top Bottom