Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Shaolin Kung Fu?

XJ220

What do you guys think 'bout Shaolin Kung Fu (southern). I've been thinking about tryin' it for self defense. Any opinions?

For self defense? Don't bother.

Kung-fu is a beautiful art and it is amazing to see a high ranking practicioner perform a kata under this system, but I wouldnt suggest you waste your time with it if self defense and fighting prowess are your ultimate goals.

What other options are available to you? What kinds of martial arts schools or instructors reside in your area?

Well there are quite a few other martial arts available around here. Karate/Kempo Karate, Wing Chun Gung Fu (by sifu augustine fong who is one bad mofo), Taekwondo, Bujinkan(sp) Ninjitsu, Judo, Jaiujitsu, BJJ, some eclectic places, escrima, muay thai (i think), and Shaolin Kung Fu. Thats all I remember off the top of my head.:D

Holy shit bro!
Your city must be like the friggin' Mecca of the martial arts.

Check out these places:

Bujinkan(sp) Ninjitsu, Judo, Jaiujitsu (sp), BJJ, escrima, and muay thai

I think you would be best suited with a combination of BJJ and thai kickboxing, but judo and escrima have some good things to offer as well. I even suggest you check out the Bujinkan and Jaiujitsu places to just see what they are like.

Go ahead and scratch the tae kwon do and kung fu from your list right now though. I would say the same about the Bujinkan and Jaiujitsu places, but I am not too familiar with those styles.

If you are wealthy enough and have all the time in the world to train I would say do BJJ, judo, and thai. Most people don't have that luxury, but if you do then go for it. Escrima is a very good weapons art too, but some people arent into the weapons thing.

kata is japanese (i thought anyway) :D

depends on the style.....there are so many, and some arent so good others are better. some styles are just lots of fancy hand movements etc which isnt especially practical, others focus a lot more on practicality

some styles (like dog style) concentrate on taking the opponent to the floor and beating him there, some are all about quick strikes etc, some are about conditioning your body like crazy....theres so much out there

i do a southern style......in terms of outright practicality (i.e. getting good fast) its not great as their is so much to learn, it depends on if your instructor spoon feeds you or expects you to learn lots yourself. other styles (non kung fu) may be faster to learn & therefore more effective. but (southern) concentrates a lot more on handwork, which i think is better than northern (flowery kicks and shit :) )

my style has strikes, joint locks, stand up grappling, groundwork.....i do like it a lot. i am quite biased though, ive never really experienced other styles. speaking to people within my club who have done other styles before (tae kwon do, thai boxing, kick boxing etc) they agree it is effective, and have used it succesfully as bouncers in nightclubs etc. they (thai boxers) also on the flip side say thai boxing is more brutally effective on the streets due to the simplicity/ease of learning of it

it really depends on the club i guess. go down and take a look. so much of it has been diluted nowadays that you get guys doing patterns (or karate katas) to music, in dance gear etc, so you got to make sure you get a good one, the most popular ones arent necessarily the best. hope this ridiculously biased kung fu opinion helps :)

thanx bro. I was thinking about BJJ with some other art. I'll check out the muay thai. My sisters ex trained or trains with one of the Gracies (dont remember whick one) so i have been exposed to that. I've tried Tae Kwon Do, did a combination of WTF and steet fighting there. I found some of the kicks to be pretty damn useful so I've kept those in my arsenal. My cousin is an instructor for the new USMC matial arts program, but most of those techniqes kill and i dont want to do that. I was considering Wing Chun because of the bad ass boxing that it has. I love kicking so I'm gonna check out Muay Thai for sure. Anyone else have opinions on the martial arts i listed in my previous post?

Kwai-Chang Caine said:

Bujinkan(sp) Ninjitsu, Judo, Jaiujitsu (sp), BJJ, escrima, and muay thai

I would come up with the exact same list except I may add Wing Chung. It all comes down to instructors. Be very cautious of who owns it, who teaches, etc. Research people. I believe this to be the single most important thing to judge a dojo by. I can't begin to tell you how many bullshit places there are. Guys that claim to be Shodans, but got their rank in three years from some guy named Vinny. Unfortunately lots of so called dojos are only there to make money.

If you want to study Ninjitsu, go buy a book by Masaaki Hatsumi or Steven Hayes and read about their true philosophies.

When you go to check a place out, if you see a big sign for 'cardio kickboxing'...leave, quickly.

I would say bjj and muay thai would be a good combination but for tournys but won't help you much on the street. Muay thai will only show you punches and kicks but will not show you how to block/deflect punches, bjj will show you ground fighting but will not show you how to disarm a knife/gun while standing. Wing chun Kung fu will show you viscious punches, finger striking, palm strikes, headbutts, elbows, some kicks, trapping techniques, joint breaks, pressure points and has a whole system built around blind siding opponent, no fighting force with force and attacking weak points and using opponents energy against him I have checked out many other martial arts and can honestly say imo that wing chun has the most effective self defence techniques out of any other martial art that i know of and simply punching kicking and grounfighting isn't enough. Plus where i train there are people who have trained in other styles and martial arts and have alot of street experience so they have showed me alot of cool stuff and the bjj place where i go has vale tudo lessons which teach you boxing/kickboxing and wrestling so i really get everything i need in 2 clubs. I reccomend Wing chun for standing close quarters hand to hand combat, bjj or wrestling to cover your groundwork, and if you can afford it kickboxing/muay thai to enhance your kicking ablility since wing chun lacks alot of kicks

BJJ and Muay Thai won't help you much on the street?

That is a completely absurd statement.

For you to even suggest this leads me to believe that you know nothing about jujitsu or thai, let alone practice any form of either.

I would go on to share my thoughts on your precious wing chun, but I am getting annoyed with these types of arguments. If you haven't opened your eyes to the power and supremacy of MMA by now, then I doubt you ever will.

Kwai-Chang Caine said:
BJJ and Muay Thai won't help you much on the street?

That is a completely absurd statement.

For you to even suggest this leads me to believe that you know nothing about jujitsu or thai, let alone practice any form of either.

I would go on to share my thoughts on your precious wing chun, but I am getting annoyed with these types of arguments. If you haven't opened your eyes to the power and supremacy of MMA by now, then I doubt you ever will.
whatever dude.
you got your opinion, i got mine....lets just leave it at that.
peace

Top Bottom