Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Shaolin Kung Fu?

As far ass immediate effectiveness

Braz Ju-jitsu, Muay Thai...

Let's face it, A punch is a punch, a kick is a kick! If you can do that harder and faster than your opponent than your chances of victory are greater. And if you are taken or need to take an opponent to the ground, Brazillian Ju-Jitsu is unmatched in effectiveness, and there is not a "large learning curve".

If you train, w/ dedication. W/ in six months of Muay thai, and Brazillian ju-jitsu, you will probably be 98 or 99 percent effective in a street confrontation. In other words w/ just six months of training you will be able to defeat 98 percent of people you meet in the street.

So ease of learning and effectiveness, muay thai and Braz ju-jitsu!

Hope this helps.

c

XJ220,

I can already see that you seem to like the idea of taking wing chun. I really suggest that you do not do that when two much more effective and easier arts to learn and use are at your disposal. You have a great opportunity to start your martial arts journey on the right foot. Don't make the same mistakes that countless martial artists have made before you.

With all due respect to Mr. Fong, I can think of about a dozen guys with the last name Gracie and countless others who would tie him or any other Wing Chun master up like a pretzel. I'm sure our resident Muay Thai expert Thaibox could rattle off quite a few Muay Thai fighters who would turn Wing Chun's best into hamburger as well.

Kwai-Chang Caine said:
XJ220,

I can already see that you seem to like the idea of taking wing chun. I really suggest that you do not do that when two much more effective and easier arts to learn and use are at your disposal. You have a great opportunity to start your martial arts journey on the right foot. Don't make the same mistakes that countless martial artists have made before you.

With all due respect to Mr. Fong, I can think of about a dozen guys with the last name Gracie and countless others who would tie him or any other Wing Chun master up like a pretzel. I'm sure our resident Muay Thai expert Thaibox could rattle off quite a few Muay Thai fighters who would turn Wing Chun's best into hamburger as well.
the gracies and other ufc fighters fight in the octagon with rules, He's more interested in self defence not competition and tournies, why fight like an octagon fighter when you can strike eyes and gouge and claw, a kung fu fighter would have an edge on the street because they are taught to fight dirty hence the name "self defence"

MUSCLETECHSUX,

Why fight like an octagon fighter? Well, it's simple really. BECAUSE IT WORKS!!!!!

Do you have any idea why it's important to practice a martial art with a sport application? Well let me tell you why...

Wing Chun can never be practiced at 100% because everything you guys do would turn into slop once you guys started rolling around on the ground or grappled on your feet. Also, even if you could get off all of those eye gouges and whatever else you guys do you wouldnt be able to apply the holds full force because you would run the chance of injuring each other permanently.

BJJ and Muay Thai are so great because you can actually practice full force. You can fight, perfect your technique, feel the adrenaline, and know the deep feeling of urgency you experience when you are going full speed. THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!

You fight like you practice. If your practice doesn't involve full speed/contact training you arent going to be ready for a street confrontation. That is the kind of training BJJ and Thai will give him, not Wing Chun.

And another thing...
It doesn't take an art to teach you how to eye gouge someone. Anyone can do that regardless of style if they choose to.

well either way i'm gonna have some grappling in their. the muay thai place is now a no no 'cause its like 45 min away form my house:( maybe i can fit in the thai like 1 day a week but i doubt it. so what should I replace thai with?

Is there just a regular good ol' boxing gym near you? If you can't train Muay Thai that would be your next best striking option in my opinion.

Hell, if you just wanted to be a sick grappling, throwing, and submission player you could just go the BJJ and Judo route. Sure, you won't learn shit for striking, but I would imagine that you would be pretty damn nasty with joint locks and throws with a combination like that.

Escrima might be a nice fit for you if you want to learn how to weild a knife and other weapons.

I just don't feel comfortable telling you to join either the kung fu, karate, tae kwon do, or wing chun schools. My experience with schools such as these is that they teach you so called "deadly techniques", but you never really get a chance to practice them or train in a full contact manner. Plus there is all the time you spend wasting learning forms, useless techniques, procedure, and other BS related to traditional styles.

I still highly suggest you take some time out to visit these schools for yourself.

Are there any good books on muay thai that i can buy so that at least i can have some sort of good understanding on it?

If you can't take Thai, its a fairly reasonable assumption that if you are going to train at multiple dojos, you will find someone with sufficient knowledge of Muay Thai to teach you basics on the side. The chance of this is pretty high at a bjj place since people who take bjj typically are geared toward practical application or NHB/MMA. Either way, they will recognize the significance of Thai.

I was getting pissed at some hard headed, inexperienced guys on here a couple weeks ago and planned on avoiding that bullshit in the future because it has no place on this board. But, I have to point out that Muscletechsux really bothers me. Your arguments have no logic dude, and are clearly not from someone with any experience whatsoever. :rolleyes:

i wouldnt be so high a Muay Thai if i were you...forgetting it is a SPORT with rules....which can hurt you in a street fight...ie. when i was taking Thai....a few times...i didnt want to block with the typical Thai block...by lifting the leg and blocking shin on shin (i've seen too many UFC/Pride guys block and then try to stand and have their shin break in half)....so did a JKD destruction which is just lifted my leg up and meet his shin with my knee...(we practice full force with hockey equipment...shin pads..helmet etc)...and you know what the instructor says? "Dont ever do that, you could seriously injury someone" ***WTF***!!!

and there were many other things i could rant on after going back from wing chun/street fighting training to Thai...ie. like a simple knee stomp..or headbutt...or when you are in the classic Muay Thai clinch..*instructor* "dont knee in the head, we dont want to kill anyone" ***WTF***!!! so if i'm in the street i'm going to be worried about the rules?..or being disqualifed?..if one knee to the head can end a fight...

.Thai Boxing = sport.

Top Bottom