Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Modern Drummer's HALL of FAME!

perkele said:
This kind of proves why 99% of Metal fans don't have any idea of music and/or playing.

Perkele, the guitarist I used to work with could play any type of
blues, jazz, Jimmy Page note for note, it was his specialty. He could not play anything by Slayer or Exodus et al. His physical ability would not allow it. Intensity may not be everything, but it allows a guitarist, drummer or bassist to play things that other people just can't play.

One thing I have noticed about Hardcore Metal fans, and Sermon
may agree or disagree with this, is that there are more of a % of
people who listen to it, that actually play, than any other type of
music. So many people I know who listen to Slayer etc., actually
play instruments, to what level of success I cannot answer, but
EVERYONE can't suck! People that listen to Guns n' Roses, and other pop bands, are just basically in general tone deaf.

I disagree. Do you think that jazz died in the 70's? No it didn't.

Jazz has maintained the same fan base it always has, small, same
as hardcore.... Charvelle

Have you heard any jazz drummers, live? I guess you're not. I would understand if you and the a-hole guy would say that for example Dave Lombardo is the all-time greatest metal drummer. I wouldn't arque with that. That would probably be true. I must say that I'm not a fan of any kind of metal music and to be honest I really don't understand why someone is. Three weeks ago I did watch few minutes of Slayers live concert from TV and I started to laugh. There is absolutely nothing in that kind of music that I would like. Nothing! Feel free to tell me why you do like it.

I have not seen any live jazz. I cannot explain why I like metal, and I can't understand why someone likes jazz, it's one of those
personal things...Charvelle

I know too but I know also that those guys won't play any of Paco De Lucia's or Al Di Meola's music note for note. Ever.

I would just agree to disagree with you on this....Charvelle

If hundreds of thousands of people have bought and listened to the most influental hardcore music then do you think that no one will remember Steve Gadd's, Vinnie Colauita's, Jeff Porcaro's music in 2102? These theree guys have played on over 2000 albums in their career and in many different music styles. Over billions of albums sold. Most of them are classic albums and also most influental in history of music.

My point on this, which you missed, is that YOU are not qualified
as a musician to judge even Jeff Bacerra from Possessed. He fronted a metal band, recorded 3 albums, toured the world, and
sold over 1/2 million records while he was still a teenager. What
makes a musician, and seperates the men from the boys, is the
ability to write music people want to hear. YOU do not do it, and
you never will do it, and neither will I. So we haven't earned the
right to look down on any of these musicians, death metal or not.
They have out-accomplished you 100 fold. So when you've wrote
a couple full lenth albums, that have sold in the 6 digits, I will put
some weight on your opinion. I do not look down on any musician
who has accomplished something, jazz, metal or whatever. I do
look down on the asshole hanging out in the bar, who says he can play better than Van Halen, but hasn't wrote a song in his life.
It is why you watched Slayer on TV, and they don't know you exist.....Charvelle

LOL! The drummer of Morbid Angel would also laugh for you comment. If "intensity" is what makes good drummer good then we're in right forum. Let's all workout so we'll have the intensity to play 1,5 hour. Who care's if the timing sucks. You guys are hopeless. LOL!

Again I agree to disagree, I'm sure ability wise, this man could've
done whatever he wanted, but he chose hardcore, I highly doubt
he would put his abilities below anyone else's. I wouldn't, he is
awesome...Charvelle

Last edited:
sermon_of_mockery said:

sorry bro,I was trying to keep this subtle,but you sir are a fucking retard when it comes to drumming knowledge.You don't play drums, why the fuck would you tell me,a drummer who is good,and who is not.I don't go talking shit about the shitty guitarists that you listen to,do I no because I realize it's not my place to say.So when it comes to drums,leave it up to me ok dad!You need to step aside with your love for oldies,and let the new talent take the reighns!!!!the end>>>>>

I'm a guitarist, not a drummer but I can play drums too. I wouldn't be surprised if I would be a better drummer than you. Other instruments that I can play too are piano, bass, trumpet and flute, but only with guitar and bass I'm really good IMHO. I've also been singing in choir about 16 years, yes, classical music. Like I said, I know your kind of guys and what's their knowledge about music is. Mostly there isn't any and that's why they're into heavymetal, punk, tekno or rap music. Metal fans do live in their own world where only metal players are something worth of mentioning. To them every metal singer is better singer than for example Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett. I bet you think the same way. About drumming, you're a drummer but you have not said anything about drumming that would let me to take you seriously.

Charvelle said:
I disagree. Do you think that jazz died in the 70's? No it didn't.
....................................., I highly doubt he would put his abilities below anyone else's. I wouldn't, he is awesome...Charvelle

I disagree with everything that comes out of your mouth and I'm starting to realize I can't do anything to make you change your mind or make you think about different. I would really love to debate about this with you but cause I'm from the "mountains of Mongolia" my english ain't good enough to express everything in the way that I would like. You can't explain why you like metal. I sure can explain why I like jazz and also classical, R'nB, soul, blues, rock, fusion,... I like music which has good melody, harmony, phrasing, dynamics, arrangement, good intonation, tonality, modulation, improvisation and real instrumentation. Music that can be approaches in many different ways. Metal music just doesn't have those qualities (and of course you disagree). Music which is played with few power chords and with heavy distortion isn't for me. And the singing, oh please. People do need to be a tone deaf just to be able to like metal music. IMHO. And most I've met are. Nice and funny dudes but musicly hopeless. What comes to me and if I'm qualified to judge someone I must disagree again. I can play many instruments (6+vocal) and I've written and arranged music also. My own songs have not been recorded yet but songs that I've co-written and arranged have been recorded by other artists. I've also played guitar on few albums. There are also guys who have written songs over 50 years and have teached music also as long and they've never sold any records cause they have not recorded any. Can you say that they are not qualified to judge other artists who have recorded? Albums sales don't mean anything about how good you area as a musician. If there's enough "idiots" you can sell anything. Britney Spears. Hello!
I don't look down on any musician who has accomplished something, but I'm enough qualified to judge how well they can play their instruments and what kind of music is the most challenging for musicians. I can put my life on the line for the fact that top jazz player will out-play top metal players anytime, anywhere. Day or night, blindfolded or not. It's like putting Mike Tyson in a ring againts Pee-Wee Herman.
And that's a fact Jack!

perkele said:
Albums sales don't mean anything about how good you area as a musician. If there's enough "idiots" you can sell anything. Britney Spears. Hello!

Album sales for a musician, means that you are writing stuff that other people want to hear, which is the hardest thing for a musician to accomplish. Like I said, I know alot of "Bar Stars" who sit around their local pubs, and can play note for note with some of the greatest guitarists around. But they are not "Stars" because they do not have the ability to write their OWN stuff that will sell. To me this is the biggest seperation of talent. ALOT of people can play, but few can play & write. There was nothing special about Lennon's guitar playing, or McCartney's bass playing (though he is an excellent bassist), they were Lennon & McCartney, because they wrote songs that people still sing along to 40 years later. Britney Spears is totally out of concept from what I was talking about, she does not play or write, she is only
a performer. Jeff Bacerra, played, sang & wrote on 3 full length
albums before he was 21. His first album recorded while he was
a senior in high school "Seven Churches" by Possessed is one of
the top selling hardcore albums of all-time, having sold nearly 500,000 copies to date. He created this, he wasn't just a performer. While 500,000 is not ALOT of record sales, in the Death Metal field, it is equivalent to having a Double Platinum album. Not to mention the countless bands and musicians he influenced, basically single-handedly creating "Death Metal" music.
Believe me Perkele, there are thousands of kids wanting to do this, He is the only one who accomplished it. He definately had the
talent to go into whatever style of music he wanted, and would've
succeeded with Rock, R & B, and probably would've been a great
Jazz bassist. I could never look at someone like that, and say they could not play or accomplish anything, because they have done it. I am at least glad you said you have respect for someone
who has accomplished things in the music industry. I just do not
like the "Bar Star" who is putting down someone who is accomplished, and not slumming around local Pubs playing for $50
a night, covering other musicians songs.

I would suggest then getting Fear Factory "Obsolete" & Slayer
"Hell Awaits" albums, really listening to these drummers, and then
saying they are not good drummers.

perkele said:

I'm a guitarist, not a drummer but I can play drums too. I wouldn't be surprised if I would be a better drummer than you. Other instruments that I can play too are piano, bass, trumpet and flute, but only with guitar and bass I'm really good IMHO. I've also been singing in choir about 16 years, yes, classical music. Like I said, I know your kind of guys and what's their knowledge about music is. Mostly there isn't any and that's why they're into heavymetal, punk, tekno or rap music. Metal fans do live in their own world where only metal players are something worth of mentioning. To them every metal singer is better singer than for example Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett. I bet you think the same way. About drumming, you're a drummer but you have not said anything about drumming that would let me to take you seriously.

I'm glad to hear that you've covered so many various instruments in your life.I on the other hand seriouslly doubt that you even come close to my drumming abilities.I've played guitar before,I'm willing to bet that I'm better than you!!Sounds pretty childish huh?Yeah anyways, I also have several instruments under my belt which include all percussion instruments.This topic has become a pissing contest between us,and neither is going to budge,so you enjoy your music,I'll enjoy mine.In the end it's about the love for the music,and the creative proccess involved in writing it,not the love for popularity such as yourself.

He can't see outside of his small world Sermon, though he accuses us of the same. We are not saying anything negative
about Jazz or R&B musicians etc., we are merely saying that metal has some of the most talented musicians in the world, and
yes even death metal, and that these musicians are JUST as talented as any of the "legends" Perkele is talking about, but he
is too narrow minded to believe this. He is of an understanding that only someone with limited musical skills are in metal, because
they did not have the ability to play other music. How funny that
is, it is something that can be said only by someone who doesn't
love metal, listen to it, or even have an understanding of it. It is
typical, my guitarist I use to work with was quick to dismiss some
of the speed metal I was playing, because he quite simply did not
have the technical skill to play this music. The riffing, picking and
timing changes were too much for him, YET he could play Jimmy Page or any blues guitarist note for note, he simply dismissed it
as rubbish, because he could not play it. Same here, Perkele is
simply dismissing the musician, because he thinks the musician
does not love metal in his heart, he only plays it because he can
do nothing else...this is truly comical.

I think we've made our point, we just agree to disagree, period.

Charvelle said:
He can't see outside of his small world Sermon, though he accuses us of the same. We are not saying anything negative
about Jazz or R&B musicians etc., we are merely saying that metal has some of the most talented musicians in the world, and
yes even death metal, and that these musicians are JUST as talented as any of the "legends" Perkele is talking about, but he
is too narrow minded to believe this. He is of an understanding that only someone with limited musical skills are in metal, because
they did not have the ability to play other music. How funny that
is, it is something that can be said only by someone who doesn't
love metal, listen to it, or even have an understanding of it. It is
typical, my guitarist I use to work with was quick to dismiss some
of the speed metal I was playing, because he quite simply did not
have the technical skill to play this music. The riffing, picking and
timing changes were too much for him, YET he could play Jimmy Page or any blues guitarist note for note, he simply dismissed it
as rubbish, because he could not play it. Same here, Perkele is
simply dismissing the musician, because he thinks the musician
does not love metal in his heart, he only plays it because he can
do nothing else...this is truly comical.

I think we've made our point, we just agree to disagree, period.

Sing it brother charvelle!!!!

Top Bottom