Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Expos and Twins are dissolved !!!

Manny:

1. Taxes
In the US businesses that bring economic benefits
to their region get tax credits/write-offs/breaks, etc...
Tax breaks are needed for pro sports in Canada because
they need to compete with the salary structure of US
teams which are their direct competetors. If one looks
at the payroll of the average pro sports franchise along
with the revenues generated from games, ticket, food,
etc... sales the government is just plain greedy. They
can have a smaller percentage and keep that revenue
or they can tax the hell out of them and then they leave
and they can collect 65% of NOTHING. Just plain stupid
government.

2. TV/Radio. Yep, like I said, Loria did that on purpose.

3. Hockey. I know the wealth of these teams. When is
the last time they won a championship? Their payrolls
are disproportionately higher due to thehigher taxes and
although they are profitable, they can and will make more
and will compete at a higher level south of the border.
Just look what happened with Eric Lindros; he refused to
play for Toronto, much was due to the taxes on his salary.

Oh yeah, I forgot the Flames and the Canucks; we're just
looking for cities to put them in right now :D

thebabydoc said:
Manny:

1. Taxes
In the US businesses that bring economic benefits
to their region get tax credits/write-offs/breaks, etc...
Tax breaks are needed for pro sports in Canada because
they need to compete with the salary structure of US
teams which are their direct competetors. If one looks
at the payroll of the average pro sports franchise along
with the revenues generated from games, ticket, food,
etc... sales the government is just plain greedy. They
can have a smaller percentage and keep that revenue
or they can tax the hell out of them and then they leave
and they can collect 65% of NOTHING. Just plain stupid
government.

2. TV/Radio. Yep, like I said, Loria did that on purpose.

3. Hockey. I know the wealth of these teams. When is
the last time they won a championship? Their payrolls
are disproportionately higher due to thehigher taxes and
although they are profitable, they can and will make more
and will compete at a higher level south of the border.
Just look what happened with Eric Lindros; he refused to
play for Toronto, much was due to the taxes on his salary.

Oh yeah, I forgot the Flames and the Canucks; we're just
looking for cities to put them in right now :D

1- Tax: They had some tax credits from Montreal (just like the montreal Canadiens) but the real problem is not there. Its the US/CND exchange rate. revenues are in CND and players need to be paid in US dollars. I remember back in the early 80's when US players wanted to be paid in CND dollars since it had more value then the US lol

2- They would be more profitable in the US ? Well what about the Lightnings, Panthers, Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Carolina ? They're all in deep financial troubles. Not to mention Hartford (now the Hurricanes). I would agree with you in some way: there's room for 3 hockey teams in Canada, Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

3- Montreal Canadiens won the Stanley in 1993. Toronto ? 1967 and they can wait fuckers !!!!

4- Lindros never refused to play for Toronto. Hell no ! Him and his dad Carl Lindros were looking deseperately for a trade with the Leafs but Bobby Clark fucked them up and Pat Quinn in spite of what he always pretended was not interested with him. Lindros is from TO and his was dreaming about this trade.... screw you Eric !

good reply, manny.

I was, however, refering to when Lindros first got drafted and refused to sign and instead sat out for 2 years; not this recent bout where he's pretty much worthless and any hit could be his last anyway..

I do agree with you on the financial woes of those teams but they are in terrible locals and under horrible management. Even the Coyotes. This is mostly due to the ever-escalating and ridiculous salaries. Because of the poor exchange rates and the aforementioned taxes, this will eventually also severely affect all the Canadian teams, the Leafs and the Canadien's last, of course.

Anyway, I hope it's a while until you lose those aforementioned hockey teams- it's just plain fun to continue kicking Canadian butt! (That's 8 years without the cup!!)

Ah ok now I see what you're talking about, ok you were reffering to when Lindros refused to sign with the Quebec Nordiques ! Well it wasn't for the money but because this team was the worst in the NHL (now that its the Avalanche its among the best). You mentionned the salaries, this is about to kill many teams in both NHL and MLB. As long as we'll have club owner readu to give 25 millions/year to some players, these beautiful sports will keep dugging their own grave.... At least the NFL fixed the problem many years ago.

Text of Donald Fehr's reaction to baseball contraction plan
Updated 7:46 PM ET November 6, 2001
The following is the text of the response by Donald Fehr, executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association, to the owners' decision to begin the process of contracting by two unnamed teams:
"Today's announcement by the commissioner that the clubs will attempt to immediately eliminate two as yet unnamed major league clubs is most imprudent and unfortunate. This decision has been made unilaterally, without any attempt to negotiate with the players, apparentlyl without any serious consideration of other options, including relocation, and seemingly with little concern for the interests of the fans. We consider this action to be inconsistent with the law, our contract and perhaps most important, the long-term welfare of the sport.

"Over this last season, and especially over the last several weeks, we have been reminded vividly of the special place baseball holds in America. This makes it all the more unfortunate that the clubs would choose this moment to dash the hopes of so many of its fans.

"And, of course, this is the worst manner in which to begin the process of negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement. We had hoped that we were in a new era, one that would see a much better relationship between players and owners. Today's announcement is a severe blow to such hopes."

That's exactly right, Rude, I almost forgot. This is doefinitely another ploy by the owners to control the collective bargaining process. But please don't paint Fehr as any kind of prince either; he's as hypocritical a fuckity fuck as any of the owners save for that douchebag Selig.

Yep Manny, the Nordiques, that's what I said!!!:D an d look at them now. That Lindros, what a fuck, but maybe he knew something??

I can't believe the Twins might be gone

This sucks. It sucks bad. I think in some ways it will be good for baseball but on the whole it is very, very bad. I am looking at all my Twins shit in my office thinking....... there will be no more Twinkies Baseball? The sweet ass Waterford Crystal baseball that Carl Pohlad handed me, Winfield 3000 Hit t-shirt signed, Erickson's No Hitter t-shirt, my pride and joy..... Puckett's personal bat that I took his ass deep with in BP, balls, hats, cards, my first Topps check for a whopping $5 ( LMAO) the hot ass wool uni we wore in the hotter ass Arlington Stadium and the memory of Erickson ripping the sleeves off because they were too tight.

Say it say Bud!!!!!!
No lockout....... I guess that is suppossed to make it ok. Well I guess all the critics that say pitching is too diluted won't be able to use that as often will they? Of course the rumors are that now the players union is going to ask for the rosters to be expanded.....good idea anyway.

A sad day on the whole for baseball is one of the happiest days in Phoenix...... the parade for the World Champion D'Backs is happening today........ they are letting 100K people in......... the party continues................................................

thebabydoc said:
That's exactly right, Rude, I almost forgot. This is doefinitely another ploy by the owners to control the collective bargaining process. But please don't paint Fehr as any kind of prince either; he's as hypocritical a fuckity fuck as any of the owners save for that douchebag Selig.

I am well aware of what Fehr is and isn't. By the way in case anyone wants to see some attendance figures :
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Top Bottom