Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

I hurt my back so bad I had to go to the hospital..they gave me vicadin (hydrocodone) and told me to take ibuprofen (spl?) three times at 800mg, yay. Just when I hit my PR on squat reps :( :(--wish me luck. I hope I can lift my Monday...

Q::if I cannot do row and I miss out on one day, how bad will that hurt my 5x5? (next monday is week 2)--and if I have to leg press instead of squat, how bad will that hurt me??? thank you.

Mith

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Mithrandir said:
I hurt my back so bad I had to go to the hospital..they gave me vicadin (hydrocodone) and told me to take ibuprofen (spl?) three times at 800mg, yay. Just when I hit my PR on squat reps :( :(--wish me luck. I hope I can lift my Monday...

Q::if I cannot do row and I miss out on one day, how bad will that hurt my 5x5? (next monday is week 2)--and if I have to leg press instead of squat, how bad will that hurt me??? thank you.

Mith

The squat is the key to the program. Unfortunately, you have bigger stuff going on than the program - get yourself healed and take it easy.

I've noticed two injuries recently and I think it's important to point out that there is no way in hell someone who hasn't done these lifts or variations (like explosive parallel rows) should be trying them out in week 1 of the dual factor version - particularly the 4 week volume phase (maybe 6-8 weeks starting very light). Full body lifts have ways of finding your weak points and for many people - particularly BBers - it tends to be the core or posterior chain. If some of these exercises are new to you, spend a few weeks getting acclimated, stay light and experiment. This program pushes you too hard for you to be learning and trying new things and then blowing out max records 2 weeks later.

I know that people want to try the program but you need to be safe. A lot of people aren't used to parallel rowing or accelerating weights in their lifts. You need to crawl before you can walk. This stuff is easy to learn but it's going to take a few weeks to get the hang of it and make sure everything is properly conditioned to perform the movement.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

lavi said:
question for madcow. i have a friend that hopefully wants to start weight training. I was thinking of putting him on the nonperiodized program but there are 2 issues:

1. hed be just learning the form on squats and dls. is it safe for him to go to a 5rm from the beginning?

2. he is nowhere near flexible enough to do barbell rows properly. what would be good to increase flexibilty, and what could he do meanwhile?

thanks!

See my above note also regarding this. He needs to just practice the movements for a while. He'll get stronger without even pushing himself.

For flexability, have him try romanian deadlifts with just the bar or a broomstick. Go as low as he can (push hips back, back stays flat, knees slightly bent) and hold the bottom position. He can row as well as he can for now.

Too many injuries from people new to lifts pushing themselves too hard. These are intense programs meant for experienced lifters who are at least competent in the lifts. If someone is learning or has just learned something. They need to spend some time conditioning themselves for the movement before pushing it hard. I guess I should have thrown this in on the first page. I'll have a table of contents added sooner or later. I have almost everything finished and this will certainly be part of it.

Thanks madcow, the rows are all that are foreign to me..so I will do as you suggest and try them out for several weeks before I go crazy with 5x5...would give you some karma, but it seems I have given you so much lately I have to "spread it around" first..else you would get most of mine ;)

Mith

Mithrandir said:
Thanks madcow, the rows are all that are foreign to me..so I will do as you suggest and try them out for several weeks before I go crazy with 5x5...would give you some karma, but it seems I have given you so much lately I have to "spread it around" first..else you would get most of mine ;)

Mith
I know what you mean: when I started on this I wanted to give madcow K almost every time I read one of his posts.

Sorry to read about your distress but when your body objects to somethng you don't get a choice whether to listen.

When I started on this program I'd not done BB rows in many years and was nowhere near parallel to the ground. I just concentrated on improving form on all my lighter and warmup sets and not losing it too much on the heavier ones. Somone more sensible than I might keep the weight lighter throughout. I'm also trying to concentrate more on explosiveness now which I pretty much ignored on my run through the program.

Good luck with a quick recovery.

Mithrandir said:

Mith
I understand. If these rows are performed incorrectly or if you have a weakness and go too heavy too fast (i.e. records in weeks 3/4) you can get hurt because it's such a powerful movement. I've just noticed 2 instances very recently and both people were new to the rows and basically their first session was in the 5x5 or immediately prior and that's not a safe way to proceed with compound lifts where you are handling heavy weight. There was a link a few pages back where I supplied provided a link to pics of people performing the rows. It may or may not help (maybe you've already seen it or maybe it was just a fluke thing this time).

I think it was more of a fluke...I have done DB rows for about 9 months and I do 90 for sets of 6...so I cannot imagine why 145 or was it 160..anyway, why this weight would give me so much pain..I should not try to workout tomorrow...I should take it easy for several more days..but I want to get SOMETHING done, so I may go to the gym and use LIGHT weight and see my boundaries...thanks for the help guys, keep it coming...

I've been doing the same bloody workout for the past 8 months and I did increase my strength and mass but Im willing to give 5x5 a try.

I need to know if 5x5 is for me...
-I don't do roids
-because of school I get about 6-7 hours of sleep a day

Im satisfied with how my body looks right now, will this program help me add on even more mass?

Thanks

Santa_Claus said:
I've been doing the same bloody workout for the past 8 months and I did increase my strength and mass but Im willing to give 5x5 a try.

I need to know if 5x5 is for me...
-I don't do roids
-because of school I get about 6-7 hours of sleep a day

Im satisfied with how my body looks right now, will this program help me add on even more mass?

Thanks

yes. it will work for you. the results will still come without juice, thats for sure. if you can get more sleep, thats better, but you work with what you can.

yeah, i get about those too, sometimes I get 8 and weekends I try to get ten, but you are a good candidate, most ppl are, whimpy girls (I said whimpy!) and people with either one arm and two legs or one leg and two arms or one leg and one arm or none of either or none of any are just about the only ppl that should not be doing this program.

Mith

Top Bottom