Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

11/6 How many NFL games will go to overtime?

1950s: The Birth of Overtime

Many football fans regard the 1958 NFL Championship Game as the first overtime game in NFL history. Indeed it was the first playoff overtime game, but it was not the first-ever. That occurred three years earlier on August 28, 1955 in a pre-season game between the Los Angeles Rams and the New York Giants.

Paul "Tank" Younger

The two big city teams played at Multnomah Stadium in Portland, Oregon in front of 22,222 onlookers. Led by the likes of Charley Conerly and Hall of Famer Frank Gifford, the Giants scored twice in the first quarter to take a 10-0 lead. Tank Younger of the Rams scored on a five-yard run in the second quarter to make the score 10-7 at halftime.
Los Angeles scored twice in the third quarter to take a 17-10 lead, but it wasn't until the middle of the fourth quarter that New York got back on the board. Alex Webster provided a three-yard touchdown scamper to knot the game at 17-17.

The final gun sounded and neither team had scored thus thrusting the game, and the NFL, into overtime for the first time. The match would not have gone into overtime if it hadn't been for the game's promoter Harry Glickman. On a whim, he asked for the league's permission for overtime should the occasion arise. Needless to say, he could not have been luckier.

The sudden-death period, however, did not last very long. The Rams won the toss and, guided by Hall of Fame quarterback Norm Van Brocklin, constructed an 8-play, 70-yard drive that culminated with a two-yard TD plunge by Younger just three minutes and 28 seconds into the extended play.

The game was not witnessed by many people since it was not televised. None-the-less, the bout laid the foundation for the NFL to adopt the overtime rule for regular season games, finally being approved in 1974.

As a side note, another innovation was incorporated during this game. The field yardlines were marked from zero to 100 instead of the traditional goal lines to the 50. Not surprisingly, this trend never caught on.

Overtime Potpourri
Regular Season Overtime Games
First Overtime Game Sept. 22, 1974 - Pittsburgh 35, Denver 35
First Overtime Win Nov. 10, 1974 - New York Jets 26, New York Giants 20
First Overtime Score Emerson Boozer 5-yard pass from Joe Namath
Overtime Games, 1974-2002 342
Most Overtime Games, Season Green Bay (5) - 1983
Shortest Overtime 0:14 - New York Jets 37, Buffalo 21, Sept. 8, 2002
Post-season Overtime Games
Number of Overtime Playoff Games 22
Longest Overtime Game 22:40 - Miami 27, Kansas City 24, Dec. 25, 1971

Lumberg said:
Could be any touchdown scored.

Int return, fumble return, or even just a regular running or passing play.

Jerk.
not with only 14 seconds expired

4everhung said:
not with only 14 seconds expired
Dammit you fucking jerk.

I blame you for my lack of reading skills.

You probably made my mom drink alcohol while I was in her belly, then kicked her in the uterus a couple of times for good measure.

Lumberg said:
Dammit you fucking jerk.

I blame you for my lack of reading skills.

You probably made my mom drink alcohol while I was in her belly, then kicked her in the uterus a couple of times for good measure.
really cool response
I was kind of wondering why you called me a jerk

Hey 4everhung you're a good bro, I was just joshing around.

Sometimes my sense of humor is fucked up.

See you around,

Lumberg.

Top Bottom