Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Winter War Finland vs Russia Olympics ice action

• Thread starter Thread starter Spartacus
  • Start date Start date
S

Spartacus

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461660

The Winter War (also known as the Soviet-Finnish War or the Russo-Finnish War) broke out when the Soviet Union attacked Finland on November 30, 1939, three months after the start of World War II. As a consequence, the Soviet Union was expelled from the League of Nations on December 14th. Stalin had expected to conquer the whole country by the end of 1939, but Finnish resistance frustrated the Soviet forces, who outnumbered the Finns three to one. Finland held out until March 1940, when a peace treaty was signed ceding about 10% of Finland's territory, and 20% of its industrial capacity, to the Soviet Union.

The result of the war was mixed. Although the Soviet forces finally managed to break through the Finnish defence, neither the Soviet Union nor Finland emerged from the conflict unscathed. Soviet losses on the front were tremendous, and the country's international standing suffered. Even worse, the fighting ability of the Red Army was put into question, a fact that contributed heavily to Hitler's decision to launch Operation Barbarossa. Finally, the Soviet forces did not accomplish their primary objective of conquest of Finland, but gained only a secession of territory along Lake Ladoga. The Finns retained their sovereignty and gained considerable international goodwill.

The March 15 peace treaty thwarted Franco-British preparations to send support to Finland through northern Scandinavia (the Allied campaign in Norway) which would also hinder German access to northern Swedish iron ore mines. Nazi Germany's invasion of Denmark and Norway on 9 April 1940 (Operation Weserübung) then diverted the attention of the world to the struggle for possession of Norway.

The Winter War (talvisota in Finnish, vinterkriget in Swedish) was a military disaster for the Soviet Union. However, Stalin did learn from this fiasco and realized that political control over the Red Army was no longer feasible. After the Winter War, the Kremlin initiated the process of reinstating qualified officers and modernizing its forces, a fateful decision that would enable the Soviets to resist the German invasion. It could be argued that neither would the armies of France, Britain, or USA have been prepared for winter warfare, though this is largely untested. The Battle of the Bulge at the end of 1944, however, saw thousands of American troops stranded by weather arguably mild compared to Scandinavian winter.

great film,in the top 5 in my collection,and my collection is quite large
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N

oh44m1.jpg

Pekka Parikka's masterpiece "Talvisota" (The Winter War) is one of the most brutally realistic war films ever made, providing viewers with a gut-wrenching view of a bloody war fought in trenches, foxholes, bunkers, and bomb craters. Based on the wartime journals of the 23rd Finnish Infantry Regiment and veterans' memoirs, it tells the story of the Winter War through their eyes. Some viewers may find it annoying that there is no real protagonist in this film. Characters are hard to distinguish from one another in the harsh setting, but that is precisely the director's point: The hero in this film is the entire Finnish army, which fought on for over 100 days against the vastly larger Soviet army.

The battle scenes in "Talvisota" are amazingly realistic. The terror of a Russian frontal attack with huge masses of infantry is shown again and again, and you realize that these brave Finns fought against such unbelievable odds for so long. Aside from Russian infantry assaults, they also had to deal with brutal artillery and ariel bombardments. From the Soviet fighter planes and tanks to the Finnish army equipment, everything looks authentic in this film, something that history buffs will appreciate. Not all viewers will enjoy the director's techniques in retelling this incredible story from World War Two, but I consider it one of the greatest war films ever made and highly recommend it.

Go Finland.

harmonica said:
I just did a search for "The Winter War" and for "Talvisota" on netflix. No go. One of the few times I have ever searched for a film on there and been denied. Must be rare.
apparently now the movie is available on DVD
which I must have
PM your address and I'll give you my VHS copy

interesting 4everhung, good posts.

i wonder if most of europe still hates russians...def the beast of the east

Andy_Gambino said:
interesting 4everhung, good posts.

i wonder if most of europe still hates russians...def the beast of the east
I have great respect for the tenacious Russians. I'm partial to the Wehrmacht but I appreciate good efforts from all combatants. man for man the Finns were the best. their ski troops attacking suddenly in silence with quickness

Top Bottom