Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Speed

Hey guys, just wondering how you people train for speed?
I am trying to improve my explosive speed and power and strength so my training looks like:

Day 1:

Bench press 3 sets of 1-4 reps*
incline press 3 sets of 10-15 quick reps
barbell rows 3 sets of 8-10*
d/b rows 3 sets of 8-10
barbell curls 3 sets of 8-10
upright rows 3 sets of 8-10
shrugs 3 sets of 15

Day 2:

1000-2000 metre jog to warm up
50 metre sprints 3 sets
30 metre sprints 3 sets
20 metre sprints 3 sets
10 metre sprint
free standing jump squats 10 sets of 10 (no weight)
press ups 10 sets of 15+ reps

Day 3:

Power cleans 3 sets of 5 reps*
clean & press 3 sets of 6-8 reps
snatch grip high pulls 3 sets of 5 reps*
shrugs 5 sets of 15 reps

* i perform 2 light warm up sets

Does this routine look ok for developing power and speed?
I am doing this routine for rugby, i want to improve my speed over the 0-50 metre distance, quick bursts of explosive speed on to the balla nd into contact.
I try to aim day 1 at upper body strength and power, day 2 at sprinting and speed specific training and day 3 at quick lifts which improve my power, speed and over all fitness components that are needed for rugby.

Any adive or suggestions would be great! :)

Last edited:
I have never trained for speed like this before. I usually do two or three days of weights along with a rugby team session.
I usually do squats and deadlifts in my weights, but dont do to much legs because they kill from rugby and dont want to tire them prior to a game on a saturday.

In this routine i am about to start, i will be sprinting, which works your legs, doing cleans and high pulls that work your legs, also doing jump squats and i know they wont do much without weight, but will do something.

I was considering doing 3 sets of leg presses on my quick lifts day, do you think this would help?

since in rugby you are constantly stopping and sprinting stoppping sprinting ect. y dont you do some intervals. sport specific

you should be training legs in the same manner your training upper body.

As a game aproaches, back oof on the leg work to let them recover. Try to get a book on peaking. You should be able to find one that includes the combination of macrocycles with microcycles. essentially helping you peak for the games as well as for the season.

Good luck.

yeah, i really should do some direct leg work too. woould 3 sets of squats be enough done on day 3?
Dont want to bother with isolation crap since it does'nt promote strength and bulk like compound lifts.

3 sets of heavy squats would be great on that day.

If your not playing in the evenings you should do sprints every other day.

Really?! Would i loose mass though doing this?
Since rugby depends alot on weight (tackling, contact ect) i dont want to loose weight.....i want to gain!
I will be useing creatine and protein as well as weights, sprinting.

you can maintain by using a maltodextrin/creatine combo during training and good post workout carb/protein shake.

If creatine dehydrates you or causes cramping, try 2 tblsps of glycerol and a liter of water before training or sprints.

Top Bottom