Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Roe v. Wade for Men

biteme said:
Interesting. If the woman chooses to keep the child and the man has to pay support, the man should get joint custody if he wants it and noone should pay child support.

Are you saying there are times when the mother will have sole custody and the father is required to pay support even though he rarely (if ever) sees the child?

biteme said:
Interesting. If the woman chooses to keep the child and the man has to pay support, the man should get joint custody if he wants it and noone should pay child support.

Well, that's the real issue right now.

A random hook-up happens... the woman says "it's ok, i'm on the pill". Then she gets pregnant. Unless the guy can convince a judge that he's ready to go all-in financially and with his time, he's not going to get anything *close* to joint custody. Furthermore, he's looking at monthly child support payments.

I personally think if a guy wants to co-parent, he should be allowed to with a 50/50 time allotment.

If the guy wants to end the pregancy but the woman wants to have it anyway, he should have a reduced (i.e. 50%) child support payment.

For guys who want the kid... but don't have the time or resources to do full-blown co-parenting, they should pay the normal child support.

nycgirl said:
Are you saying there are times when the mother will have sole custody and the father is required to pay support even though he rarely (if ever) sees the child?

I didn't address that. I need to think about this real hard before giving a response. My gut response is no. If the man doesn't want the child but the woman does, then she can pay to raise the child or vice versa.

biteme said:
I didn't address that. I need to think about this real hard before giving a response. My gut response is no. If the man doesn't want the child but the woman does, then she can pay to raise the child or vice versa.

No, no, I'm asking a question. I don't understand how this works.

biteme said:

The article doesn't say that.

This article is not about a man getting full custody of an infant and who then is responsible for child support - that would be decided in conjunction with custody.

nycgirl said:
No, no, I'm asking a question. I don't understand how this works.

I don't understand either. We are failing to communicate effectively :worried:

EH?

Custody of a child bears the responsibilty of raising, feeding, babysitting (yeah I've actually heard fathers referring to being with their child as "babysitting") and those responsibilties often come with a direct or indirect price tag.

If a parent chooses not to be in the day to day life of said child they are still responsible for the childs needs.

This article suggests that a man should have the option to choose not to be a parent (after getting pregnant) like a woman can choose whether or not she will carry the child to term.

If something like this were to go through, then there would have to be some kind of non-consent form that the father would have to sign to divorce himself from the pregnancy. You can't just have some dude changing his mind after the fact to get out of child support payments.

Mr. dB said:
If something like this were to go through, then there would have to be some kind of non-consent form that the father would have to sign to divorce himself from the pregnancy. You can't just have some dude changing his mind after the fact to get out of child support payments.

You'd almost have to do that BEFORE you have sex.

Top Bottom